ike

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003

I have a Panasonic Toughbook running XP Pro. My modem is set up on Com 5.
The problem I have is that I have some older software that only allows Com
ports 1 - 4. I looked in the bios and there is no way to change com ports.
I checked in device manager and I am able to change the modem to a different
com port but it shows that all the other com ports are 'in use'. How could
all of the com ports be in use??? How do I change the modem to a different
com port???

In the Device Manager, under the Modems section and in that modem driver,
you should be able to switch the com ports. Also, you may want to "disable
Com 2" in the BIOS, only if it is not the modem. This way, you could
re-assign the modem COM 2.

"IKE" <IKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Panasonic Toughbook running XP Pro. My modem is set up on Com 5.
> The problem I have is that I have some older software that only allows Com
> ports 1 - 4. I looked in the bios and there is no way to change com
> ports.
> I checked in device manager and I am able to change the modem to a
> different
> com port but it shows that all the other com ports are 'in use'. How
> could
> all of the com ports be in use??? How do I change the modem to a
> different
> com port???

ike

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003

My bios does not show me any com port options. Is com port 2 the parallel
connection??? In device manager, I can change the com port but it shows all
the other com ports 'in use' so I have nothing to switch to. Is this
possible on a laptop with very little accessories???

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> In the Device Manager, under the Modems section and in that modem driver,
> you should be able to switch the com ports. Also, you may want to "disable
> Com 2" in the BIOS, only if it is not the modem. This way, you could
> re-assign the modem COM 2.
>

> "IKE" <IKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Panasonic Toughbook running XP Pro. My modem is set up on Com 5.
> > The problem I have is that I have some older software that only allows Com
> > ports 1 - 4. I looked in the bios and there is no way to change com
> > ports.
> > I checked in device manager and I am able to change the modem to a
> > different
> > com port but it shows that all the other com ports are 'in use'. How
> > could
> > all of the com ports be in use??? How do I change the modem to a
> > different
> > com port???

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

See if you can disable the infrared device in the BIOS (or Bluetooth if this
a recent model). That might free a COM port.