Missing sound card driver issue

My friend recently had her sound card stop working. It appears that the
drivers were wiped out somehow. Normally i could help with this, but she
doesnt know what her sound card is, and its a laptop so i cant open it up to
find out. It's a Gateway and the model number is PA1700-02AB (she doesnt know
what model it is so thats all i can give you)

Is there any easy way to discover what card she has or what drivers to get?
8 answers Last reply
More about missing sound card driver issue

    Correction: she thinks its a Gateway M505.

    NoL devin wrote:
    > My friend recently had her sound card stop working. It appears that
    > the drivers were wiped out somehow. Normally i could help with this,
    > but she doesnt know what her sound card is, and its a laptop so i
    > cant open it up to find out. It's a Gateway and the model number is
    > PA1700-02AB (she doesnt know what model it is so thats all i can give
    > you)
    >
    > Is there any easy way to discover what card she has or what drivers
    > to get?

    ummm. www.gateway.com *might* help?

    If its a laptop the 'sound' is supplied by the laptop manu

    "NoL devin" <NoLdevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My friend recently had her sound card stop working. It appears that the
    > drivers were wiped out somehow. Normally i could help with this, but she
    > doesnt know what her sound card is, and its a laptop so i cant open it up
    > find out. It's a Gateway and the model number is PA1700-02AB (she doesnt
    know
    > what model it is so thats all i can give you)
    >
    > Is there any easy way to discover what card she has or what drivers to
    get?

    thanks for the help so far, but the gateway site was no use (we found the
    "right" drivers, but they were designed to run in dos, no use on xp.)

    I don't have a Gateway M505, but isn't the 9525327 package the one that you
    need? (The package is supposed to include Realtek drivers for XP.) It's a 5
    MB download.

    It is a Winzip self-extractor. The "readme" that comes with it specifically
    describes it as being for XP.

    > thanks for the help so far, but the gateway site was no use (we found the
    > "right" drivers, but they were designed to run in dos, no use on xp.)

    i believe thats the one we tried, when she ran it she got a dos error,
    whining about autoexec.nt and such.

    NoL devin wrote:

    > i believe thats the one we tried, when she ran it she got a dos error,
    > whining about autoexec.nt and such.

    Then see here:

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
    Windows-based program:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767&Product=winxp

    This can also be caused by malware. Is your friend's computer completely
    virus and malware-free? If she thinks so, what did she do to determine
    this? Here are some general malware removal steps:

    If she is absolutely sure the machine is clean, then AVAST (antivirus
    software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2 installed:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

    You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by
    copying a backup copy held in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
    (%windir% is typically C:\Windows) instead of using the procedure in
    the KB article above.

    Make sure the computer is clean, fix the autoexec.nt issue, and then try
    and install the proper drivers you got from Gateway.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    thanks for the help, but i couldnt manage to get the gateway ones working.
    malke i tried what you said but it didnt help, and that was the exact error i
    got too. we went to realtek's website and got the drivers for the AC'97,
    since thats the one gateway had drivers for, its all fixed now.

Drivers Sound Cards Windows XP