problem with WPA - please help

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
April 20, 2005 5:14:47 PM

More about : problem wpa

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 20, 2005 5:14:48 PM

Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software to
establish your wireless connection settings?

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"Cyber" <nomail@antispam.net> wrote in message
news:o JJdroZRFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

April 21, 2005 1:42:14 PM

Related resources
April 21, 2005 2:49:43 PM

I keep triying to remembre about your question because I'm not at
home at the moment but I'm quite sure about this:

First of all, I used the DLink web based configuration program to
establish WPA encription and passphrase settings on the acces point.
The conection with the access point was lost after that, as I
expected.

Then I entered the same configuration in the Windows Wireless client
because in DLink Airplus soft there was not the option to set WPA
encryption and only WEP keys were accepted ( not very sure about this
but I think so)
All worked fine until the next reboot (no problem if close and
reopen session in Windows)

After observing the problem reproduces every time I reboot the
computer, I decided to change to WEP again and went back to the DLink
soft to configure the wireless settings. After that, no problem but
also no WPA I would prefer to be using WPA because WEP can be broken
too easily.

Thanks again for your attention.

"Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <jerrype@online.microsoft.com> escribió en el
mensaje news:uLlFhpdRFHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software
> to establish your wireless connection settings?
>
> --
> Jerry Peterson
> Windows Network Services - Wireless

> rights. "Cyber" <nomail@antispam.net> wrote in message
> news:o JJdroZRFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 21, 2005 5:59:12 PM

Do you have the latest drivers for your D-Link adapters? The latest ones
(v3.06_1007) should have WPA capability. If they do not, then your adapters
may simply not be capable of WPA encryption. This however seems unlikely as
the D-Link AP, in the same series, is WPA capable. If the latest adapter
drivers do not have WPA you should telephone D-Link and ask the question -
why not?

Mike Bernstein

> I keep triying to remembre about your question because I'm not at
> home at the moment but I'm quite sure about this:
>
> First of all, I used the DLink web based configuration program to
> establish WPA encription and passphrase settings on the acces point.
> The conection with the access point was lost after that, as I
> expected.
>
> Then I entered the same configuration in the Windows Wireless client
> because in DLink Airplus soft there was not the option to set WPA
> encryption and only WEP keys were accepted ( not very sure about this
> but I think so)
> All worked fine until the next reboot (no problem if close and
> reopen session in Windows)
>
> After observing the problem reproduces every time I reboot the
> computer, I decided to change to WEP again and went back to the DLink
> soft to configure the wireless settings. After that, no problem but
> also no WPA I would prefer to be using WPA because WEP can be broken
> too easily.
>
> Thanks again for your attention.
>

> "Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <jerrype@online.microsoft.com> escribió en el
> mensaje news:uLlFhpdRFHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software
>> to establish your wireless connection settings?
>>
>> --
>> Jerry Peterson
>> Windows Network Services - Wireless

>> rights. "Cyber" <nomail@antispam.net> wrote in message
>> news:o JJdroZRFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

April 21, 2005 9:33:04 PM

So, I understand that I might use the DLink software instead of
Windows wireless client to enable WPA encryption. I'm going to look
again if this is posible (I downloaded the latest drivers from DLink
yesterday) and if it's not, I'll try to contact Dlink support
service and ask them what is wrong.

Thanks again for your help.

"Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> escribió en
el mensaje news:%23wcRVHnRFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Do you have the latest drivers for your D-Link adapters? The latest
> ones (v3.06_1007) should have WPA capability. If they do not, then
> your adapters may simply not be capable of WPA encryption. This
> however seems unlikely as the D-Link AP, in the same series, is
> WPA capable. If the latest adapter drivers do not have WPA you
> should telephone D-Link and ask the question - why not?
>
> Mike Bernstein
>
> "Cyber" <nomail@antispam.net> wrote in message

>> I keep triying to remembre about your question because I'm not at
>> home at the moment but I'm quite sure about this:
>>
>> First of all, I used the DLink web based configuration program to
>> establish WPA encription and passphrase settings on the acces point.
>> The conection with the access point was lost after that, as I
>> expected.
>>
>> Then I entered the same configuration in the Windows Wireless client
>> because in DLink Airplus soft there was not the option to set WPA
>> encryption and only WEP keys were accepted ( not very sure about this
>> but I think so)
>> All worked fine until the next reboot (no problem if close and
>> reopen session in Windows)
>>
>> After observing the problem reproduces every time I reboot the
>> computer, I decided to change to WEP again and went back to the DLink
>> soft to configure the wireless settings. After that, no problem but
>> also no WPA I would prefer to be using WPA because WEP can be broken
>> too easily.
>>
>> Thanks again for your attention.
>>

>> "Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" <jerrype@online.microsoft.com> escribió en el
>> mensaje news:uLlFhpdRFHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Are you using the Microsoft Wireless client or the Dlink software
>>> to establish your wireless connection settings?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jerry Peterson
>>> Windows Network Services - Wireless

>>> rights. "Cyber" <nomail@antispam.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o JJdroZRFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

April 22, 2005 1:34:04 AM

The D-Link DWL 520+ is an 802.11b compliant card and thus can't use WPA. WPA
can be use with 802.11g and later compliant devices. To use WPA you will
need to use a different and newer card.
Go to Dlink.com and do some research on the different cards available and
what they are capable of.
Do a Google.com search on 802.11b and 802.11g
Read and try to understand the 802.11 standard, regarding WPA.

"Cyber" <nomail@quitarestohotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well. I've been verifiying all the options and the problem is that, as I
> thought, there is no WPA option available to choose in the D-Link DWL 520+
> wireless client (see atached image), despite it is in the DWL900AP+ acces
> point.
>
> I'll try to ask people in D-Link what is the reasson for this.
>
> Thanks again
>

> "Cyber" <nomail@antispam.net> escribió en el mensaje

>> So, I understand that I might use the DLink software instead of
>> Windows wireless client to enable WPA encryption. I'm going to look
>> again if this is posible (I downloaded the latest drivers from DLink
>> yesterday) and if it's not, I'll try to contact Dlink support
>> service and ask them what is wrong.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help.
>>

>> "Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> escribió en
>> el mensaje news:%23wcRVHnRFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Do you have the latest drivers for your D-Link adapters? The latest
>>> ones (v3.06_1007) should have WPA capability. If they do not, then
>>> your adapters may simply not be capable of WPA encryption. This
>>> however seems unlikely as the D-Link AP, in the same series, is
>>> WPA capable. If the latest adapter drivers do not have WPA you
>>> should telephone D-Link and ask the question - why not?
>>>
>>> Mike Bernstein
>>>
>>> "Cyber" <nomail@antispam.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 22, 2005 10:44:26 AM

That is theoretically correct. It does not therefore make sense that the
DWL900AP has a WPA capability when it too is 802.11b only.

"TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message
> The D-Link DWL 520+ is an 802.11b compliant card and thus can't use WPA.
> WPA can be use with 802.11g and later compliant devices. To use WPA you
> will need to use a different and newer card.
> Go to Dlink.com and do some research on the different cards available and
> what they are capable of.
> Do a Google.com search on 802.11b and 802.11g
> Read and try to understand the 802.11 standard, regarding WPA.
>
> "Cyber" <nomail@quitarestohotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Well. I've been verifiying all the options and the problem is that, as I
>> thought, there is no WPA option available to choose in the D-Link DWL
>> 520+ wireless client (see atached image), despite it is in the DWL900AP+
>> acces point.
>>
>> I'll try to ask people in D-Link what is the reasson for this.
>>
>> Thanks again
>>

>> "Cyber" <nomail@antispam.net> escribió en el mensaje

>>> So, I understand that I might use the DLink software instead of
>>> Windows wireless client to enable WPA encryption. I'm going to look
>>> again if this is posible (I downloaded the latest drivers from DLink
>>> yesterday) and if it's not, I'll try to contact Dlink support
>>> service and ask them what is wrong.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for your help.
>>>

>>> "Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> escribió en
>>> el mensaje news:%23wcRVHnRFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

April 22, 2005 9:04:19 PM

Thanks everybody for your opinions.

The only think I can't understand is why the WPA encryption WORKS
when I configure the windows XP SP2 wireless client if you say that
the wireless adaptor doesn't have this capability. It works until I
reboot the computer and then it keeps on working if I enter the
passphrase again after rebooting. I don't understand either why the
acces point of the same series has WPA capability and the adaptors
don't.

So, I'm not obviously an expert but this not make sense. If something
doesn't work, it just doesn't.

I'm not having an answer form D-Link at the moment. I'll tell you
when I had.

Some more ideas? Thanks for all.

"Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> escribió en
el mensaje news:o aCXV5vRFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> That is theoretically correct. It does not therefore make sense
> that the DWL900AP has a WPA capability when it too is 802.11b
> only.
>
> "TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message
>> The D-Link DWL 520+ is an 802.11b compliant card and thus can't
>> use WPA. WPA can be use with 802.11g and later compliant devices.
>> To use WPA you will need to use a different and newer card.
>> Go to Dlink.com and do some research on the different cards
>> available and what they are capable of.
>> Do a Google.com search on 802.11b and 802.11g
>> Read and try to understand the 802.11 standard, regarding WPA.
>>
>> "Cyber" <nomail@quitarestohotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Well. I've been verifiying all the options and the problem is
>>> that, as I thought, there is no WPA option available to choose
>>> in the D-Link DWL 520+ wireless client (see atached image),
>>> despite it is in the DWL900AP+ acces point.
>>>
>>> I'll try to ask people in D-Link what is the reasson for this.
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>>

>>> "Cyber" <nomail@antispam.net> escribió en el mensaje

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 23, 2005 3:19:03 PM

Have you try only wpa and not wep configuration.
At my place its works not together.
I disable the wep function on the router and the wpa works.

"Cyber" wrote:

> Thanks everybody for your opinions.
>
> The only think I can't understand is why the WPA encryption WORKS
> when I configure the windows XP SP2 wireless client if you say that
> the wireless adaptor doesn't have this capability. It works until I
> reboot the computer and then it keeps on working if I enter the
> passphrase again after rebooting. I don't understand either why the
> acces point of the same series has WPA capability and the adaptors
> don't.
>
> So, I'm not obviously an expert but this not make sense. If something
> doesn't work, it just doesn't.
>

> I'm not having an answer form D-Link at the moment. I'll tell you
> when I had.
>

> Some more ideas? Thanks for all.
>

> "Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> escribió en
> el mensaje news:o aCXV5vRFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > That is theoretically correct. It does not therefore make sense
> > that the DWL900AP has a WPA capability when it too is 802.11b
> > only.
> >
> > "TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message
> >> The D-Link DWL 520+ is an 802.11b compliant card and thus can't
> >> use WPA. WPA can be use with 802.11g and later compliant devices.
> >> To use WPA you will need to use a different and newer card.
> >> Go to Dlink.com and do some research on the different cards
> >> available and what they are capable of.
> >> Do a Google.com search on 802.11b and 802.11g
> >> Read and try to understand the 802.11 standard, regarding WPA.
> >>
> >> "Cyber" <nomail@quitarestohotmail.com> wrote in message

April 25, 2005 7:10:58 PM

Here is the answer form D-Link to my request:

Estimado usuario,

en los dispositivos que Vd. nos indica, el cifrado WPA-PSK no está
soportado directamente por el driver/apliación, al tratarse de modelos
antiguos, por lo que deberá usar el gestor de Windows XP. Para
configurar dicho gestor, deberá contactar con el soporte técnico del
Sistema Operativo.

So, the WPA is supported by the DWL 520+ wireless adaptor but not trough the
D-Link software/driver. They suggest me to use the windows client and then
all go to the begining again. How to configure the windows client in order
not to introduce the passphrase every time the computer reboots.

Thanks everybody for the atention.

"Gerard Hermans" <GerardHermans@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
mensaje news:C70DBA71-D7CF-4D0E-AD7D-AF957D1A4F0E@microsoft.com...
> Have you try only wpa and not wep configuration.
> At my place its works not together.
> I disable the wep function on the router and the wpa works.
>
> "Cyber" wrote:

>> Thanks everybody for your opinions.
>>
>> The only think I can't understand is why the WPA encryption WORKS
>> when I configure the windows XP SP2 wireless client if you say that
>> the wireless adaptor doesn't have this capability. It works until I
>> reboot the computer and then it keeps on working if I enter the
>> passphrase again after rebooting. I don't understand either why the
>> acces point of the same series has WPA capability and the adaptors
>> don't.
>>
>> So, I'm not obviously an expert but this not make sense. If something
>> doesn't work, it just doesn't.
>>

>> I'm not having an answer form D-Link at the moment. I'll tell you
>> when I had.
>>

>> Some more ideas? Thanks for all.
>>

>> "Mike Bernstein" <mike.bernstein@REMOVECAPSchemlaw.co.uk> escribió en
>> el mensaje news:o aCXV5vRFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > That is theoretically correct. It does not therefore make sense
>> > that the DWL900AP has a WPA capability when it too is 802.11b
>> > only.
>> >
>> > "TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 2, 2005 6:50:17 PM

Assuming that you have a properly configured access point, the passphrase
will be stored once a single successful authentication takes place. This
means that encryption must succeed before the profile will be considered
permanent. If the passphrase on the access point and the wireless client do
not match, encyption negotiation will fail, and you may be prompted for the
correct passphrase. This all depends upon your access point's
implementation of the WPA specification.

START > Help and Support
Search the help files with the string: "Configuring wireless network client
computers" to get a step by step orientation on using the Microsoft Wireless
client.

--

!