My External Hard Drive isn't recognised!

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I have an external hard drive and I am plugging it in (via a USB connection)
however the drive is not recognised. I have tried clicking on My Computer
then clicking manage but the computer just will not find any driver for the
hard drive so therefore it isn't working. I haven't a clue what the problem
could be whether its the jumper setting, or whether I am not fully updated
although that doesn't sem to want to work either I always end up waiting for
ages for it to update. Its really annoying any suggestions?

Phil

Phil,
Are you using an external power supply for the drive? The USB ports on
your computer only supply a limited amount of power. Is anything else
USB plugged in and working? What do you see in Device Manager/Hardware
for your USB ports?
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

"Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an external hard drive and I am plugging it in (via a USB
>connection)
> however the drive is not recognised. I have tried clicking on My Computer
> then clicking manage but the computer just will not find any driver for
> the
> hard drive so therefore it isn't working. I haven't a clue what the
> problem
> could be whether its the jumper setting, or whether I am not fully updated
> although that doesn't sem to want to work either I always end up waiting
> for
> ages for it to update. Its really annoying any suggestions?
>
> Phil

Is this a drive you assembled into a case? If so, did you set the drive
jumpers to Master? Is the internal power cable connected?

When you plug the drive in, does Windows recognise that a device has been
attached?

-pk