dvd player isn't working...

does anybody know why my dvd player on my pc has suddenly stopped working? it
was fine a few weeks ago but now it just doesn't work. windows explorer can
see it so it knows its there, apparently it is working properly too... but
when i put a dvd disc in it just hangs there trying to read it, i know
because i can hear it!
i did read on another part of this site people having a similar problem
immediatley after they downloaded windows media player 10... it worked fine
before i download MP10 could that be the problem?
my os is windows xp home edition... i also have installed powerdvd
any suggestions are appreciated
--
Thank you

What type of media you can not use? DVD Video or DVD Data??

You may want to check on the upper/lower filters for the unit. Do a search
in this newsgroup for the regisrty patch, usually available @ Kelly's Korner
web site.