further overclocking athlon 3000+ under water cooling poss..

Hi everyone,

Am googling and researching like crazy, trying to find as much printed
material available, was gonna look for some good word of mouth input
from everyone.

Athlon XP 3000+ w/166 fsb
512 MB pc2700 (333fsb) ddr * 2 (total 1Gig, no name, one from compusa,
other from oem dealer) w/copper ram sinks
asus a7n8x-x (nforce2 400) socket a mainboard
geforce fx 5600 w/ thermaltake crystal orb * alum. ramsinks
430 watt pwr supply

danger den tdx w/ 1/2" in/outlets
using 1/2" tygon tubing
blackice micro II dual 80mm fans
hydor l20 water pump w 1/2" barbs
plenty of artic silver 5 throughout ;)

everything is inside my antec case (don't know model #, got it from
compusa)

everything runs great, have enermax 6 head fan controller w/ temps. cpu
at default speed, never hit 38C. Video never gets above 39C.

Now that everything has been running great the past couple of months,
decided to do some overclocking,

Using wiremod on 3000+ I was able to get the cpu to 3200+ using 200*11,
also have memory running at 400mhz ddr (only have done multiplier / fsb.
only memory setting changed is bus speed). I have noticed huge
differences for the better! UT2004 runs infinitely smoother, and
although Q3A never gets above 220fps, it is a true absolute beauty to
see with everything at max settings at last(I always use 1024*768, seems
like best compromise between quality and performance).

Based on this, and provide more info if wanted/needed, can anyone
recommend a decent place online or from experience any good software
tweaks and tricks I can use to further overclock? This is my one and
only baby, can't be too aggressive w/ or i'll have no HT or gaming pc.
Am at point I can't buy any new hardware if something goes, so for now,
I have to stick to BIOS tweaks, vid. card overclocking)

Also anyone have a clue on this, on this nforce 2 board multipliers past
12 are "shared" as in labeled like this in bios 6.0x/12.0x? So far I've
noticed if I used 12 or higher as multiplier, she boots using 6,7,8,9
madly underclocking the cpu. Does this have potential to be a good
thing? Anyone have prob. using multipliers past 12 on asus a7n8x-x?

Thanks for any input you can provide,
Ben Z

"Ben Z" <baz2a@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> Am googling and researching like crazy, trying to find as much printed
> material available, was gonna look for some good word of mouth input
> from everyone.
>
> Athlon XP 3000+ w/166 fsb
> 512 MB pc2700 (333fsb) ddr * 2 (total 1Gig, no name, one from compusa,
Get other memory. It's good to go with 2 sticks of one brand, but who
knows
you may have good luck.
I did, and with 2x128 sticks of pc2100 (DDR266) of "All Components Memory"
In my P4 I'm able to overclock it to ddr333 easy.
> other from oem dealer) w/copper ram sinks
ram sinks most times don't help much.
> asus a7n8x-x (nforce2 400) socket a mainboard
Nice board, I have the reg. version the (A7N8X)
> geforce fx 5600 w/ thermaltake crystal orb * alum. ramsinks
> 430 watt pwr supply
Ok, but you might want something a little bit higher.
When you overclock @ all, your CPU Watts go up.
when you do start adding vcore.
3000+ you may have better luck Overclocking a 2500+ Barton core.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-378&depa=0
But you might have some luck with it.
> danger den tdx w/ 1/2" in/outlets
> using 1/2" tygon tubing
> blackice micro II dual 80mm fans
> hydor l20 water pump w 1/2" barbs
> plenty of artic silver 5 throughout ;)
>
> everything is inside my antec case (don't know model #, got it from
> compusa)
>
> everything runs great, have enermax 6 head fan controller w/ temps. cpu
> at default speed, never hit 38C. Video never gets above 39C.
If that's room temps, you did good, if not.
I would take some of your thermal grease off then re-do the water block.
You really only want very little on it.
Too much is not good, but not enough is not either.

> Now that everything has been running great the past couple of months,
> decided to do some overclocking,
>
> Using wiremod on 3000+ I was able to get the cpu to 3200+ using 200*11,
> also have memory running at 400mhz ddr (only have done multiplier / fsb.
> only memory setting changed is bus speed). I have noticed huge
> differences for the better! UT2004 runs infinitely smoother, and
> although Q3A never gets above 220fps, it is a true absolute beauty to
> see with everything at max settings at last(I always use 1024*768, seems
> like best compromise between quality and performance).
>
> Based on this, and provide more info if wanted/needed, can anyone
> recommend a decent place online or from experience any good software
> tweaks and tricks I can use to further overclock? This is my one and
> only baby, can't be too aggressive w/ or i'll have no HT or gaming pc.
> Am at point I can't buy any new hardware if something goes, so for now,
> I have to stick to BIOS tweaks, vid. card overclocking)
>
> Also anyone have a clue on this, on this nforce 2 board multipliers past
> 12 are "shared" as in labeled like this in bios 6.0x/12.0x? So far I've
> noticed if I used 12 or higher as multiplier, she boots using 6,7,8,9
> madly underclocking the cpu. Does this have potential to be a good
> thing? Anyone have prob. using multipliers past 12 on asus a7n8x-x?
>
> Thanks for any input you can provide,
> Ben Z

Besides some of the things I said, everything else seems very good.
"Dennis E Strausser Jr."
RavingRaichu. :)

Latest posts