Hi all,

Anyone know how I can rename a device in
device manager, (or the registry), so it doesn't show
#2 after the device.

I used the leadtek driver uninstall tool last night. And it removed the
drivers I had for this Leadtek Deluxe tuner alright.

BUT it also renamed my onboard Gigabit LAN (onboard) to #2 my scanner to #2,
and removed my Nvidia drivers for the videocard.

And reverted the videocard drivers to MS Nvidia drivers.

I managed to fix the scanner entry by uninstalling the
drivers, then rebooting and reinstalling the drivers.

And I managed to fix the videocard drivers, by
reinstalling the Nvidia drivers.

So, yup, anyone have any idea how I can change the
onboard LAN, so it doesnt have #2 after it??

Using XP Pro SP2

Thanx

Paul

Splendid

Dont worry I fixed it. I went into the registry
and deleted most entries for the LAN

And rebooted. Now it shows the original
entry, not the # after it.

"Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone know how I can rename a device in
> device manager, (or the registry), so it doesn't show
> #2 after the device.
>
> I used the leadtek driver uninstall tool last night. And it removed the
> drivers I had for this Leadtek Deluxe tuner alright.
>
> BUT it also renamed my onboard Gigabit LAN (onboard) to #2 my scanner to
> #2, and removed my Nvidia drivers for the videocard.
>
> And reverted the videocard drivers to MS Nvidia drivers.
>
> I managed to fix the scanner entry by uninstalling the
> drivers, then rebooting and reinstalling the drivers.
>
> And I managed to fix the videocard drivers, by
> reinstalling the Nvidia drivers.
>
> So, yup, anyone have any idea how I can change the
> onboard LAN, so it doesnt have #2 after it??
>
> Using XP Pro SP2
>
> Thanx

It would be nice if your were to list out the steps needed to "clean-up" LAN
settings so as to to get #2, #3 ... on the drivers.

> Dont worry I fixed it. I went into the registry
> and deleted most entries for the LAN
>
> And rebooted. Now it shows the original
> entry, not the # after it.
>

> "Paul" <noone@myhouse.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Anyone know how I can rename a device in
>> device manager, (or the registry), so it doesn't show
>> #2 after the device.
>>
>> I used the leadtek driver uninstall tool last night. And it removed the
>> drivers I had for this Leadtek Deluxe tuner alright.
>>
>> BUT it also renamed my onboard Gigabit LAN (onboard) to #2 my scanner to
>> #2, and removed my Nvidia drivers for the videocard.
>>
>> And reverted the videocard drivers to MS Nvidia drivers.
>>
>> I managed to fix the scanner entry by uninstalling the
>> drivers, then rebooting and reinstalling the drivers.
>>
>> And I managed to fix the videocard drivers, by
>> reinstalling the Nvidia drivers.
>>
>> So, yup, anyone have any idea how I can change the
>> onboard LAN, so it doesnt have #2 after it??
>>
>> Using XP Pro SP2
>>
>> Thanx

Paul

Splendid

Went to start/run. Typed regedit.

Selected find/searched for the name of the network
card, which was 3Com Gigabit LOM
(3C940) #2 (or part of it), in the registry.

Found the entries in the registry and deleted
what I COULD, (the registry WON'T let
you delete ALL the entries), deleted the entry
in Device Manager, and rebooted, thats it.

XP detected the onboard LAN again, and the entry reverted back to the
original name without
the # after the reboot.

And in the case of the scanner, I uninstalled the drivers
for it, rebooted and the entry was back to the original name.