conversion to ntfs not working

August 2, 2005 10:49:02 PM

I would like to convert from FAT 32 to NTFS and I tried my command prompt and
the conversion would not work after the system restart the reason: saying
insufficient memory. Is there another way to convert without losing any
files? thank you
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:37:21 AM

Run disk cleanup, then a full chkdsk surface scan. Make
sure you have backups of critical data since there can be
problems (I have never had any with the conversion of the
handful of computers I have converted).
How much RAM do you have and how is your pagefile set?

How much free space do you have on the drive, you may need
to uninstall some applications or data files and reinstall
afterward.

some support

"dwayne" <dwayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I would like to convert from FAT 32 to NTFS and I tried my
command prompt and
| the conversion would not work after the system restart the
reason: saying
| insufficient memory. Is there another way to convert
without losing any
| files? thank you
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:23:12 AM

Free up some disk space.

"dwayne" <dwayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to convert from FAT 32 to NTFS and I tried my command prompt
>and
> the conversion would not work after the system restart the reason: saying
> insufficient memory. Is there another way to convert without losing any
> files? thank you
Related resources
August 3, 2005 12:52:01 PM

I already ran disk clean up, my file system is at FAT 32, my hard drive size
is 186 GB with 148 GB free space, and my memory is 256 mb

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Run disk cleanup, then a full chkdsk surface scan. Make
> sure you have backups of critical data since there can be
> problems (I have never had any with the conversion of the
> handful of computers I have converted).
> How much RAM do you have and how is your pagefile set?
>
> How much free space do you have on the drive, you may need
> to uninstall some applications or data files and reinstall
> afterward.

> some support
> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
>

> "dwayne" <dwayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I would like to convert from FAT 32 to NTFS and I tried my
> command prompt and
> | the conversion would not work after the system restart the
> reason: saying
> | insufficient memory. Is there another way to convert
> without losing any
> | files? thank you

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:22:38 PM

What is the command you are using to convert. Take a look here

!