Scared to death with A7V8X-X!!!!!

Hi!

With all the readings I did with the A7V8X-X, i am really getting scared of
this board!! The problem is that I already ordered (read, it is too late to
cancel!!!) a new system with this board... Here are the specs:

A7V8X-X mobo
Crucial DDR400 512megs
Maxtor 80GB
Geforce 4 Ti4400
AMD Barton 2500+
300W powersupply.

Am I going directly into trouble?????

Many thanks for your comments!

--
Daniel

www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/ouonsenva (français)
ou/or
www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/english (english version)

cimetière wrote:
> Hi!
>
> With all the readings I did with the A7V8X-X, i am really getting scared of
> this board!! The problem is that I already ordered (read, it is too late to
> cancel!!!) a new system with this board... Here are the specs:
>
> A7V8X-X mobo
> Crucial DDR400 512megs
> Maxtor 80GB
> Geforce 4 Ti4400
> AMD Barton 2500+
> 300W powersupply.
>
> Am I going directly into trouble?????
>
> Many thanks for your comments!

Hi there,

Let me tell ya, I have this mainboard, running it with an athlon 3000+
o/c to 3200+ so far, taking it kinda slow on the o/c. Holding 1gig pc
333 ddr o/c to ddr 400, holding up beautifully in Win XP Pro and Fedora
Core 2 Linux w. 2.6.7 kernel. Have and Audigy and PCI WiFi card next to
a Hydor L20 water pump. No noticable interference at all, very stable
and speedy so far.

Can tell ya board is kinda shanked. While it does have audio, 100mb
ethernet, usb 2.0, headers for game, audio, and usb, there is no RAID,
no SATA, no nothing, pretty much a bare bone system. Does have a great
BIOS and should be able to tweak reasonably well.

Should be ok with memory, however preferably if you got the loot (or
just don't need it), I'd go with a gig of ram...but to each his own.

Geforce 4 not that bad a card, but why not step up to a Geforce fX for
close to same price?

Out of all things, I'd be concerned with the 300w power supply. Unless
this is gonna be just a simple little surfing the 'net, playing an
occasional game, 300w might not be strong enough, especially if you
decide to upgrade down the road (high end GF FX and the 6800's require a
direct connect to pwr supply)

Things to consider, as far as not being able to cancel order, that's why
we have ebay and local pc shops that might buy it from ya

You're right to be scared - it's a pile a shi'ite.
Get a DFI or an NF7-S.

"cimetière" <cimetiere@dddt.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> With all the readings I did with the A7V8X-X, i am really getting scared
of
> this board!! The problem is that I already ordered (read, it is too late
> cancel!!!) a new system with this board... Here are the specs:
>
> A7V8X-X mobo
> Crucial DDR400 512megs
> Maxtor 80GB
> Geforce 4 Ti4400
> AMD Barton 2500+
> 300W powersupply.
>
> Am I going directly into trouble?????
>
> Many thanks for your comments!
>
> --
> Daniel
>
> www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/ouonsenva (français)
> ou/or
> www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/english (english version)

minotaur

cimetière wrote:

> Hi!
>
> With all the readings I did with the A7V8X-X, i am really getting scared of
> this board!! The problem is that I already ordered (read, it is too late to
> cancel!!!) a new system with this board... Here are the specs:
>
> A7V8X-X mobo
> Crucial DDR400 512megs
> Maxtor 80GB
> Geforce 4 Ti4400
> AMD Barton 2500+
> 300W powersupply.
>
> Am I going directly into trouble?????
>
> Many thanks for your comments!

Cancel the order, its your legal right in most countrys
if you wish to change it or ask for a refund.
You usualy have 14days here and can even return it if you wish
within that period if it has already been delivered and your not happy.
So check out your local countrys consumer rights :)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:36:34 -0400, cimetière wrote:

> Hi!
>
> With all the readings I did with the A7V8X-X, i am really getting scared of
> this board!! The problem is that I already ordered (read, it is too late to
> cancel!!!) a new system with this board... Here are the specs:
>
> A7V8X-X mobo
> Crucial DDR400 512megs
> Maxtor 80GB
> Geforce 4 Ti4400
> AMD Barton 2500+
> 300W powersupply.
>
> Am I going directly into trouble?????

With that PSU, maybe. Depends on the quality of it. The rest is just a
matter of choice.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:36:34 -0400, cimetière wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > With all the readings I did with the A7V8X-X, i am really getting scared
of
> > this board!! The problem is that I already ordered (read, it is too late
> > cancel!!!) a new system with this board... Here are the specs:
> >
> > A7V8X-X mobo
The better choise here would've been one of the "A7N8X" line.
I very much like mine, overclocks easy.
But I get stuck @ around 2.174 It almost stays stable.
I'm guessing 350Watts for the PSU is pushing it when the overclock gets
this far.

> > Crucial DDR400 512megs
If this is just one stick, you should have got two 256's for
better speed.
On amd boards with only 3 x dimm's you put one stick in 1 and
the other stick in to the 3rd dimm slot/socket.
4xdimm boards work the same, some are even color coded.
This system I'm using now is color coded, but it is a P4
and this is a amd group.

> > Maxtor 80GB
> > Geforce 4 Ti4400
Someone else already said this, I would get something else here.
Either a (AIW) 9600xt or a plain 9800Pro.

> > AMD Barton 2500+
> > 300W powersupply.
> >
> > Am I going directly into trouble?????
> >
> With that PSU, maybe. Depends on the quality of it. The rest is just a
> matter of choice.

Next time I build a system, I'm going to go 400 Watts or higher.
RavingRaichu. :)

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:23:07 -0400, RavingRaichu wrote:

> Next time I build a system, I'm going to go 400 Watts or higher.
> RavingRaichu. :)

I've got a cheap 400W on my XP system that works fine on it, but it won't
run my AMD 64 3000+ system at all. Get 500W or higher next time. I bought
a 500W, 550W, and 600W, and all 3 will power the new system. Now I've got
one more spare than I currently need, but it only cost $12.:)

cimetière wrote:
> Hi!
>
> With all the readings I did with the A7V8X-X, i am really getting scared of
> this board!! The problem is that I already ordered (read, it is too late to
> cancel!!!) a new system with this board... Here are the specs:
>
> A7V8X-X mobo
> Crucial DDR400 512megs
> Maxtor 80GB
> Geforce 4 Ti4400