  • Hard Drives
  • Samsung
  • Windows XP
August 3, 2005 4:38:46 PM

I just purchased a Samsung Hard Drive which is 160 GB. Windows XP
states the capacity of the drive is about 32 GB. Why can Windows not
see the entire drive? I looked in Disk Management and it is the same.
During Windows setup it is the same. Also, using Partition Magic 8.0 it
only sees 32 GB. I am pulling the hair out of my head on this one.

Motherboard is Brand New - Biostar P4VMA-M
Hard Drive - Samsung 160 GB

This hard drive is setup as a slave with the master drive as a 20 GB
hard drive (which registers fine). I could not find a maximum capacity
for the motherboard but I have to assume it supports this much space.

I have read that maybe BIOS should be updated. I downloaded the update
from the manufacturor's website but I do not know how to perform the
update. I downloaded and executable file that extracts a .BFM file but
I am unaware of what to do with this. If this is even the issue.

More about : hard drive capacity

August 3, 2005 4:44:25 PM

Forgot to mention that this drive is formatted as NTFS.
August 3, 2005 4:50:26 PM

Thanks Bob. Not to sound to stupid (I work more on software than
hardware) but what should I be looking for in the drive documentation?
The only jumpers I am aware of is the one that sets Master, Slave, or
Cable Select....
Related resources
August 3, 2005 5:05:03 PM

Matt,

Just out of curiosity, why would you set up the 160 gig drive as a slave and
not the master? I am willing to bet that 160 gig would serve much better as
the master since it is more than likely faster than the 20 gig drive. The 20
gig is probably operating at 5400 rpm as opposed to the 160 gig at 7200 rpms.

"Matt" wrote:

> Thanks Bob. Not to sound to stupid (I work more on software than
> hardware) but what should I be looking for in the drive documentation?
> The only jumpers I am aware of is the one that sets Master, Slave, or
> Cable Select....

August 3, 2005 5:30:16 PM

they are both 7200 RPM. I want the 160 GB to store just data and the
other drive to be system, programs and swap.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
August 3, 2005 6:44:06 PM

Check the "compatibility" jumpers on the drive. Read drive documentation
for particulars.

Matt wrote:

> I just purchased a Samsung Hard Drive which is 160 GB. Windows XP
> states the capacity of the drive is about 32 GB. Why can Windows not
> see the entire drive? I looked in Disk Management and it is the same.
> During Windows setup it is the same. Also, using Partition Magic 8.0 it
> only sees 32 GB. I am pulling the hair out of my head on this one.
>
> Motherboard is Brand New - Biostar P4VMA-M
> Hard Drive - Samsung 160 GB
>
> This hard drive is setup as a slave with the master drive as a 20 GB
> hard drive (which registers fine). I could not find a maximum capacity
> for the motherboard but I have to assume it supports this much space.
>
> I have read that maybe BIOS should be updated. I downloaded the update
> from the manufacturor's website but I do not know how to perform the
> update. I downloaded and executable file that extracts a .BFM file but
> I am unaware of what to do with this. If this is even the issue.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
August 3, 2005 7:02:08 PM

You "don't" want the 32 GB Clipping setting for the drive selection.

Matt wrote:

> Thanks Bob. Not to sound to stupid (I work more on software than
> hardware) but what should I be looking for in the drive documentation?
> The only jumpers I am aware of is the one that sets Master, Slave, or
> Cable Select....

August 3, 2005 9:12:27 PM

Thanks. I looked at the manual and that is exactly what it was. I had
to add another jumper and change the location of them. Booted up and
saw the additional space.
August 4, 2005 1:00:59 AM

So how does the bios identify the hd?

"Matt" <matt_marshall@manning-napier.com> wrote in message
> Forgot to mention that this drive is formatted as NTFS.

August 4, 2005 1:47:39 AM

Not sure which Samsung model you have but on their website the manuals show
link configurations for setting the drive limiting it to 32Gig so be sure
you are using the correct pin config. (check the manual)

Neil
>I just purchased a Samsung Hard Drive which is 160 GB. Windows XP
> states the capacity of the drive is about 32 GB. Why can Windows not
> see the entire drive? I looked in Disk Management and it is the same.
> During Windows setup it is the same. Also, using Partition Magic 8.0 it
> only sees 32 GB. I am pulling the hair out of my head on this one.
>
> Motherboard is Brand New - Biostar P4VMA-M
> Hard Drive - Samsung 160 GB
>
> This hard drive is setup as a slave with the master drive as a 20 GB
> hard drive (which registers fine). I could not find a maximum capacity
> for the motherboard but I have to assume it supports this much space.
>
> I have read that maybe BIOS should be updated. I downloaded the update
> from the manufacturor's website but I do not know how to perform the
> update. I downloaded and executable file that extracts a .BFM file but
> I am unaware of what to do with this. If this is even the issue.

August 4, 2005 4:42:32 AM

It may be faster in the lab, but would anyone notice??????

news:D 5345BEE-559D-485A-B5EF-91D25E80F5AA@microsoft.com...

!