Sign in with
Your question

Question about the Other...

Last response: in Forum Feedback
March 17, 2006 9:32:48 PM

Let me set the background for you.

A few days ago I posted a link to an inappropriate site in the Other section with a big NSFW warning. dvdpiddy complained about it to Fredi and Fredi removed it. End of that one.

Yesterday I posted a link to yet another inappropriate site (I have a whole slew of these things stored in my head, yes I'm sick and demented :) ) Now, I forgot to put a NSFW tag next to it and I was reprimanded for it and the mod added the tag for me. No biggie, I thought that was the end of it.

Apparently dvdpiddy once again complained about my link to Fredi and he went in and once again removed my link and then sent me a PM repirmanding me for posting links to obscene sites.

Now this confuses me, I thought that the whole point of the Other was for us to chat about anything and pretty much be mod free. Isn't there a big warning at the top of the forum that says "if you're easily offended then don't post here" for all the newbies? After learning about Wingy and seeing some of the things he posted (stories can still be considered "obscene) I don't understand why the things I'm doing are warranting moderator action.

Now this is your guys' forum and I understand that, but I need to know what the ground rules are that you're actually going to play by. I have no trouble abiding by them (I'll leave if I don't feel like playing by them) but it's not fair to me as a poster to see certain things go that are obviously "obscene" and then get reprimanded for one of my posts that may be of the same level because some douche doesn't like me and likes to report me to Fredi.

edit:I tried PMing Fredi about this but he takes too long and I'm an impatient bastard so I posted it here in hopes of getting a quicker response.

More about : question

March 17, 2006 9:40:14 PM

This should get interesting! [/pulls up chair grabs popcorn and beer]
March 17, 2006 9:50:07 PM

It shouldn't get "interesting." I should get a straight, professional answer that levels the playing field.
Related resources
March 17, 2006 9:52:34 PM

Nevermind, Fredi answered my question. Go ahead and close this before it turns into another drama fest..... :p 
March 17, 2006 10:18:09 PM

I still think your a spy with a bitter attitude! You are always bitching about things that happened before your time. Take a chill pill or JUST LEAVE!!!! :evil: 
March 17, 2006 11:05:25 PM

:lol: 

How is bitching about something that happened to me equivalent to me bitching about things that happened before my time?

This post has nothing to do with anything that happened to anyone other than me.
March 18, 2006 2:10:08 PM

good point, but your post just needs a little punctuation (kinda hard to read) :wink:
March 18, 2006 4:37:56 PM

youre such a fairy.
March 18, 2006 8:18:30 PM

*has a nightmare about forum fairies*
March 19, 2006 2:20:19 AM

I agree, dvdpiddy needs to grow up and if he is going to find every little thing offensive he also needs to get thicker skinned too.

The thing I have a problem with is posters stirring things up just for sake of a drama enhanced flame war.
Quote:
edit:I tried PMing Fredi about this but he takes too long and I'm an impatient bastard so I posted it here in hopes of getting a quicker response.

IMO
You started out right by PMing Freddie. Learn some patience and you would probably have this resolved by now instead of drawing a negative response from me.

Now is the time to avoid unnecessary pot stirring (at least about forum rules etc.) because of the current state of everyone's nerves due to all the changes.

While I'm not sure where the forum is heading and am also concerned about our community, I do realize the need to reign in formerly unbridled conversation. I really would hate to see the "other" section changed too much and am under the impression that it is invisible to web crawlers. If this is the case, then I really don't see where a link contained in a post inappropriate or otherwise is a big deal (if properly labeled). I can see concern about the contents in members signatures because the moment you enter anything in your signature it is visible in every post you have ever made. Because of this it will show up in all forms or at least the ones that you have posted in.

Anyway, things that have happened Since the new forum seem to me to be almost exclusively due to members attitudes Relating to a sense of
"this place can't run without me"
"I'm jealous because I should have the power given to others "
"but look at everything I have contributed"
"I've been here since Moby Dick was a minnow"
"why wasn't I consulted"
Too bad this post isn't in the other section , I can just imagine the fun to be had with continuing this list. So, you get the idea. This is only my opinion and I could be way off base here, but I really don't think so.

I'm all for stopping worries about things that cannot be changed and things that may be changed in the future and just getting back to having some good Ole heated discussions and fun.
March 20, 2006 4:37:53 AM

I pm'd Fredi and did not get a response all day.

I made this thread and had a response within about an hour.

I don't believe in coincidences.

However, this is exactly why I asked for the thread to be closed, because it's turning into a debate, which is not what I wanted.

I was just trying to grab a moderator's attention and it worked.
March 20, 2006 6:20:38 AM

Quote:
I pm'd Fredi and did not get a response all day.

I made this thread and had a response within about an hour.

I don't believe in coincidences.

However, this is exactly why I asked for the thread to be closed, because it's turning into a debate, which is not what I wanted.

I was just trying to grab a moderator's attention and it worked.

What you should have done is use the "Report" button on the post, and one of us would have handled it rather than you go to Fredi. Which begs the question, how did you know to go to Fredi when you plainly know who the moderators are?
March 20, 2006 6:50:52 AM

Quote:

Well, that's what happens if you open a topic in a forum, you start a debate. I'd say thought that with russell's post it was a kind of natural end of the debate, but apparently you thought otherwise (just my personal observation, nothing else).
March 20, 2006 9:55:50 AM

Reread my original post. Fredi PM'd me first.
March 20, 2006 10:00:49 AM

I was just trying to clarify that I was not trying to start drama, I was trying to get results. It was for my personal gain, nothing more.

I understand that by starting a thread, I open it up to public debate, but that's also the exact reason I asked for it to be closed.

The whole thing is done and over with now, so I'm going to be leaving this thread.

It's time to get back to contributing absolutely nothing to the Other. :twisted:
!