Dlink DP300+ Print server

I'm trying to set this print server up and cannot get it to print to the
second printer. The first printer a hp laser works fine and can be printed
to from any of the pc's on the network. The second printer , a Canon i865,
works fine as a direct connect, but I can't get it to print through the
Dlink. I think the problem is with the port setup but can't seem to get it
right. Has any one got a similar setup working with a laser on port one and
an inkjet on port 2?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

ffred wrote:
> I'm trying to set this print server up and cannot get it to print to the
> second printer. The first printer a hp laser works fine and can be printed
> to from any of the pc's on the network. The second printer , a Canon i865,
> works fine as a direct connect, but I can't get it to print through the
> Dlink. I think the problem is with the port setup but can't seem to get it
> right. Has any one got a similar setup working with a laser on port one and
> an inkjet on port 2?

I have the D-Link DP300U. I don't know if it's the same as the DP300+.
It has two parallel ports and one USB port. I have a Lexmark 4039 laser
on the first parallel port, a IBM 4019 laser on the second parallel port
and a Canon i860 on the USB port. When I first installed the D-Link
server I had a HP 970 on the USB port. The Canon has been there a couple
of weeks.

All the printers work fine, but the Canon usually brings up a small
screen saying the computer isn't communicating with the printer. This
screen disappears when the print job is finished, at the same time the
job disappears from the print queue display.

My setting came right out of the book.

Here is my printer setting:
Port name IP_192.168.1.105-USB
Printer name or IP address 192.168.1.5
Protocol LPR
LPR Settings
Queue Name hp-970 (that was the printer there first)

That's about all I can think of to mention.

John

"john" <swjwcm@charter.net> wrote in message
> ffred wrote:
> > I'm trying to set this print server up and cannot get it to print to the
> > second printer. The first printer a hp laser works fine and can be
printed
> > to from any of the pc's on the network. The second printer , a Canon
i865,
> > works fine as a direct connect, but I can't get it to print through the
> > Dlink. I think the problem is with the port setup but can't seem to get
it
> > right. Has any one got a similar setup working with a laser on port one
and
> > an inkjet on port 2?
> >

> I have the D-Link DP300U. I don't know if it's the same as the DP300+.
> It has two parallel ports and one USB port. I have a Lexmark 4039 laser
> on the first parallel port, a IBM 4019 laser on the second parallel port
> and a Canon i860 on the USB port. When I first installed the D-Link
> server I had a HP 970 on the USB port. The Canon has been there a couple
> of weeks.
>
> All the printers work fine, but the Canon usually brings up a small
> screen saying the computer isn't communicating with the printer. This
> screen disappears when the print job is finished, at the same time the
> job disappears from the print queue display.
>
> My setting came right out of the book.
>
> Here is my printer setting:
> Port name IP_192.168.1.105-USB
> Printer name or IP address 192.168.1.5
> Protocol LPR
> LPR Settings
> Queue Name hp-970 (that was the printer there first)
>
> That's about all I can think of to mention.
>
> John

OK. The only difference is that there is no usb port on the 300+,it has a
serial port which I am not using. The Hp laser is plugged into LPT1 on the
dlink and on the pc it is setup as a standard tcpip port , the port name is
P1 and the ip address is 192.168.0.4. ,protocol Raw, Raw port number 9100. I
then installed the canon on to a pc with the parallel lead in the pc and
printed a test page. I then swapped the lead into LPT2 on the Dlink and on
the PC in the canon port properties created a new standard tcpip port, port
name P2, Ip address 192.168.0.4, protocol Raw, Raw port number 9100 and
ticked this box. When I try to print a test page the HP laser prints corrupt
pages ( since the data is expecting a Canon). The Dlink can only have 1 IP
adress and the port names are the same as in the DLink so I can't see why
the DLink doesn't push it the the right printer.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

ffred wrote:

> OK. The only difference is that there is no usb port on the 300+,it has a
> serial port which I am not using. The Hp laser is plugged into LPT1 on the
> dlink and on the pc it is setup as a standard tcpip port , the port name is
> P1 and the ip address is 192.168.0.4. ,protocol Raw, Raw port number 9100. I
> then installed the canon on to a pc with the parallel lead in the pc and
> printed a test page. I then swapped the lead into LPT2 on the Dlink and on
> the PC in the canon port properties created a new standard tcpip port, port
> name P2, Ip address 192.168.0.4, protocol Raw, Raw port number 9100 and
> ticked this box. When I try to print a test page the HP laser prints corrupt
> pages ( since the data is expecting a Canon). The Dlink can only have 1 IP
> adress and the port names are the same as in the DLink so I can't see why
> the DLink doesn't push it the the right printer.

According to the booklet that came with my server, to print from Windows
XP (I didn't ask, but I should have. Are you using XP?) you are
doing what they say until, in the settings, they say to use LPR for the
protocol, and in the LPR Settings (Queue name) use the name for P2 from
the port settings in the configure tab on the D-Link Print server page.

If I've written this poorly, D-Link has an FAQ on their site explaining
this procedure. In fact, they say to do it the way you are doing it,
and then they say, 'If you have trouble, try using LPR instead of RAW'.
Maybe everybody had trouble so they started suggesting LPR.

The URL is:

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=459&question=DP-100%20/%20%20DP-101P+%20/%20DP-300%20/%20DP-301P+%20/%20%20DP-303%20/%20DP-313%20/%20DP-301U%20/%20DP-311P%20/%20DP-311U%20/%20DP-311U_revB

I hope this helps. Let us know.

John

That worked first time, I can't believe it was that simple.This way seems to
be workaround that isn't detailed in the manuals that are supplied with the
device. I've left the first port set to raw as it works fine. Many thanks
for your help.