Everything is messed up! What's the root of this problem?

77seven

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I have no idea what just happened, but a lot of settings are gone from my computer. All of my gadgets appear uninstalled, Chrome lost all of its bookmarks and plugins (and all cached images don't show up), and Outlook forgot all of my credentials. There are still probably yet undiscovered problems. It could be a virus, but I'm suspecting that some files/folders have been either corrupted or have been given bad permissions. Anyone ever hear of this happening? Anyone know how to fix it?

edmond419

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Try this

Open "Computer", right click on the drive your user account is located on (normally for home users it's C:\ drive) , select "properties". Then go to "Quota" tab, click "show quota settings" and click yes if prompted.

If "enable quota management" is checked, uncheck it, click OK and reboot

Did you get any messages about your profile at logon? Did you create a new profile maybe? Sounds like your profile specific data got lost. Everything you said had an issue is linked to a user profile.

77seven

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

No messages at all. (no disk quota issues either). I figured that it would probably be related to user profile data, but I have no idea what happened and where it happened. A lot of applications relying on similar data are still working without a hitch, which is why this is so confusing. I keep thinking that some files may have been corrupted during a write, but I don't even know what files would have to be corrupted/deleted to produce this effect.