Cooling issues.

Hi all,

This was previously posted in another group, so I apologise for the
cross-posting breach of etiquette, but I was advised to look here for
good advice on my problem, even though I'm not attempting any
overclocking...yet :)

Last weekend I installed a new processor and grahpics card in my A7N8X-
Deluxe system (XP3200 and 9800XT). Over the last couple of days it's
been behaving oddly with several crashes, so I loaded up Asus probe just
in case, sure enough it instantly started bonging at me as the CPU was
at 76 degrees! The SmartDoctor util with the 9800 said the GPU was in
the high 60s too!

I took the side off my ancient Maplins tower and sure enough the temp
dropped enough to save the bongs (below 72 degrees), but any attempt to
play something, even the gorgeous Ati screensaver coming on, pushed it
back into the danger zone.

I currently have the large mains fan from my desk blowing into the case
giving me a CPU of 53, Motherboard of 25 and Gpu of 50 degrees. This is
clearly not a good thing though. It's only a matter of time before I
kick the fan over for a start...

I'm using the Akasa AK795 heatsink that came with the CPU, with a
coolermaster Aero blower on top of it, with a 60mm case fan blowing
towards it and another 60mm job above the psu as an exhaust. I used
Arctic Silver 5 when I installed the cpu, and the HS looked pretty good
with that copper base. I have a Tagan 480w psu on route to replace my
Enermax 350w and I'm planning a case upgrade at some point, probably
something like a Wavemaster or Praetorian, so hopefully I can replace my
60mm case fans with something bigger, but am I missing something
obvious??
I've built dozens of systems and never had a problem with heat (although
I've never used a cpu or gcard this powerful before).

I would be interested to know what people with similar systems are
running at temp-wise and how they have their cooling arranged. I'm not
sure I'll be going to looking at a vaporchill or watercooled solution
anythime soon though!

Thanks all, I'd be keen to see what you guys have.

I embarrassed to say I had a similar problem - turned out there was a clear
sticky plastic piece of packaging tape on the base of the heat that
effectively insulated the cpu.

Kind of dumb, but turned out to be an easy fix.

(I wonder if I should have admitted to this!!)

"Vormulac" <tristanluscombe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> This was previously posted in another group, so I apologise for the
> cross-posting breach of etiquette, but I was advised to look here for
> good advice on my problem, even though I'm not attempting any
> overclocking...yet :)
>
> Last weekend I installed a new processor and grahpics card in my A7N8X-
> Deluxe system (XP3200 and 9800XT). Over the last couple of days it's
> been behaving oddly with several crashes, so I loaded up Asus probe just
> in case, sure enough it instantly started bonging at me as the CPU was
> at 76 degrees! The SmartDoctor util with the 9800 said the GPU was in
> the high 60s too!
>
> I took the side off my ancient Maplins tower and sure enough the temp
> dropped enough to save the bongs (below 72 degrees), but any attempt to
> play something, even the gorgeous Ati screensaver coming on, pushed it
> back into the danger zone.
>
> I currently have the large mains fan from my desk blowing into the case
> giving me a CPU of 53, Motherboard of 25 and Gpu of 50 degrees. This is
> clearly not a good thing though. It's only a matter of time before I
> kick the fan over for a start...
>
> I'm using the Akasa AK795 heatsink that came with the CPU, with a
> coolermaster Aero blower on top of it, with a 60mm case fan blowing
> towards it and another 60mm job above the psu as an exhaust. I used
> Arctic Silver 5 when I installed the cpu, and the HS looked pretty good
> with that copper base. I have a Tagan 480w psu on route to replace my
> Enermax 350w and I'm planning a case upgrade at some point, probably
> something like a Wavemaster or Praetorian, so hopefully I can replace my
> 60mm case fans with something bigger, but am I missing something
> obvious??
> I've built dozens of systems and never had a problem with heat (although
> I've never used a cpu or gcard this powerful before).
>
> I would be interested to know what people with similar systems are
> running at temp-wise and how they have their cooling arranged. I'm not
> sure I'll be going to looking at a vaporchill or watercooled solution
> anythime soon though!
>
> Thanks all, I'd be keen to see what you guys have.

bill

In article <txzKc.10390$lz2.2932@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>, ameseys@juno.com says...
> I embarrassed to say I had a similar problem - turned out there was a clear
> sticky plastic piece of packaging tape on the base of the heat that
> effectively insulated the cpu.
>
> Kind of dumb, but turned out to be an easy fix.
>
> (I wonder if I should have admitted to this!!)

Confession is good for the soul. Just do it under an
assumed name.

Bill

Is your rear fan pushing air into the case? It should be pulling air out.
Should help drop it a few degrees, but a 80mm+ fan would be better (120mm
preferable).

--
BOINC Team -
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=112938