Ghosting XP to SATA drive

I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA drive
and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.

I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk manager.
Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive - I checked to
"copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order in the BIOS to boot
from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE drives.

I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)

I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a couple
of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating system it
would be a big time saver.

I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If you
chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6 option to
install a third party SATA or RAID driver?

Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.

Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks

--
Garth Wayne Gairrett
13 answers Last reply

    The repair installation will give you the option to press F6 to load the
    drivers. But, if you had the SATA drive installed when you did the ghosting
    it must have already had the drivers installed or how would it see the drive
    in the first place?

    "ggarret1" <ggarret1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA
    >drive
    > and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
    >
    > I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk manager.
    > Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive - I checked
    > "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order in the BIOS to
    > boot
    > from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE drives.
    >
    > I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
    >
    > I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a couple
    > of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating system it
    > would be a big time saver.
    >
    > I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If you
    > chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6 option to
    > install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
    >
    > Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appriciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Garth Wayne Gairrett

    I regularly use Ghost on SATA drives, and I've never had a problem with
    booting.

    However -- I've never partitioned the drive first, I just let Ghost create
    the partitions when it copies. I don't know if that would make any
    difference, but it may be worth a try.

    One other thought -- is your bios recognizing the drive as the first boot
    device?

    What's the boot error that you get? The text of that might be useful.

    "ggarret1" <ggarret1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA
    >drive
    > and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
    >
    > I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk manager.
    > Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive - I checked
    > "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order in the BIOS to
    > boot
    > from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE drives.
    >
    > I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
    >
    > I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a couple
    > of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating system it
    > would be a big time saver.
    >
    > I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If you
    > chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6 option to
    > install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
    >
    > Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appriciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Garth Wayne Gairrett

    Ghosting or mirroring doesnt work with SATA drives to or from IDE.Instead,
    try running file transfer wizard on IDE,set the wizard to "old
    computer",select
    the files,folders,settings for it to save,save the data in a new folder
    that you
    create,once its thru,transfer the folder to a cd.

    "ggarret1" wrote:

    > I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA drive
    > and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
    >
    > I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk manager.
    > Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive - I checked to
    > "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order in the BIOS to boot
    > from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE drives.
    >
    > I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
    >
    > I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a couple
    > of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating system it
    > would be a big time saver.
    >
    > I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If you
    > chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6 option to
    > install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
    >
    > Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appriciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Garth Wayne Gairrett

    Good point Jerry and the same thought did cross my mind.

    However, if the SATA is the boot drive I thought the drivers might need to
    be loaded in a different order (i.e. first). If I’m booting from IDE the
    drivers could be loaded at any point.

    It is kind of a mystery to me how you can boot from ATA at all if you need
    third party drivers to access the drive. You need the drivers to access the
    drive and you need to access the drive to load the drivers. It’s sort of a
    chicken and egg thing when you don’t have a chicken or an egg. Everyone
    assures me you can boot from ATA so the system must manage it somehow.

    Thanks

    Garth

    --
    Garth Wayne Gairrett

    "Jerry" wrote:

    > The repair installation will give you the option to press F6 to load the
    > drivers. But, if you had the SATA drive installed when you did the ghosting
    > it must have already had the drivers installed or how would it see the drive
    > in the first place?
    >
    > "ggarret1" <ggarret1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA
    > >drive
    > > and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
    > >
    > > I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk manager.
    > > Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive - I checked
    > > "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order in the BIOS to
    > > boot
    > > from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE drives.
    > >
    > > I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
    > >
    > > I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a couple
    > > of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating system it
    > > would be a big time saver.
    > >
    > > I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If you
    > > chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6 option to
    > > install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
    > >
    > > Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be appriciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > --
    > > Garth Wayne Gairrett

    I tried that first D, but Ghost couldn't see the drive untill I partitioned
    it. Maybe I could have done something in Windows Disk Manager to get Ghost
    to see the drive without partitioning. I didn't see any option other than
    partition.
    --
    Garth Wayne Gairrett

    "D.Currie" wrote:

    > I regularly use Ghost on SATA drives, and I've never had a problem with
    > booting.
    >
    > However -- I've never partitioned the drive first, I just let Ghost create
    > the partitions when it copies. I don't know if that would make any
    > difference, but it may be worth a try.
    >
    > One other thought -- is your bios recognizing the drive as the first boot
    > device?
    >
    > What's the boot error that you get? The text of that might be useful.
    >

    > "ggarret1" <ggarret1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA
    > >drive
    > > and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
    > >
    > > I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk manager.
    > > Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive - I checked
    > > "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order in the BIOS to
    > > boot
    > > from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE drives.
    > >
    > > I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
    > >
    > > I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a couple
    > > of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating system it
    > > would be a big time saver.
    > >
    > > I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If you
    > > chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6 option to
    > > install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
    > >
    > > Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be appriciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > --
    > > Garth Wayne Gairrett

    The File Transfer wizard would restore my Outlook and my desktop settings,
    but I would still need to reinstall all my programs. Maybe if I also backed
    up my system registry and copied the Program Files folder.
    --
    Garth Wayne Gairrett

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Ghosting or mirroring doesnt work with SATA drives to or from IDE.Instead,
    > try running file transfer wizard on IDE,set the wizard to "old
    > computer",select
    > the files,folders,settings for it to save,save the data in a new folder
    > that you
    > create,once its thru,transfer the folder to a cd.
    >
    > "ggarret1" wrote:
    >
    > > I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA drive
    > > and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
    > >
    > > I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk manager.
    > > Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive - I checked to
    > > "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order in the BIOS to boot
    > > from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE drives.
    > >
    > > I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
    > >
    > > I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a couple
    > > of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating system it
    > > would be a big time saver.
    > >
    > > I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If you
    > > chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6 option to
    > > install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
    > >
    > > Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be appriciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > --
    > > Garth Wayne Gairrett

    By the way, the bios does "see" the drive and the error message is an
    unhelpful "boot error".
    --
    Garth Wayne Gairrett

    "D.Currie" wrote:

    > I regularly use Ghost on SATA drives, and I've never had a problem with
    > booting.
    >
    > However -- I've never partitioned the drive first, I just let Ghost create
    > the partitions when it copies. I don't know if that would make any
    > difference, but it may be worth a try.
    >
    > One other thought -- is your bios recognizing the drive as the first boot
    > device?
    >
    > What's the boot error that you get? The text of that might be useful.
    >

    > "ggarret1" <ggarret1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA
    > >drive
    > > and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
    > >
    > > I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk manager.
    > > Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive - I checked
    > > "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order in the BIOS to
    > > boot
    > > from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE drives.
    > >
    > > I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
    > >
    > > I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a couple
    > > of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating system it
    > > would be a big time saver.
    > >
    > > I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If you
    > > chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6 option to
    > > install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
    > >
    > > Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be appriciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > --
    > > Garth Wayne Gairrett

    If you mean SATA drive, it depends on the motherboard (chipset).
    For new boards, you don't.

    "ggarret1" <ggarret1@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
    news: 9A2ABD55-4C83-491D-A0A7-A8C6260F21F0@microsoft.com...
    > By the way, the bios does "see" the drive and the error message is an
    > unhelpful "boot error".
    > --
    > Garth Wayne Gairrett
    >

    > "D.Currie" wrote:
    >
    >> I regularly use Ghost on SATA drives, and I've never had a problem with
    >> booting.
    >>
    >> However -- I've never partitioned the drive first, I just let Ghost
    >> create
    >> the partitions when it copies. I don't know if that would make any
    >> difference, but it may be worth a try.
    >>
    >> One other thought -- is your bios recognizing the drive as the first boot
    >> device?
    >>
    >> What's the boot error that you get? The text of that might be useful.
    >>

    >> "ggarret1" <ggarret1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA
    >> >drive
    >> > and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
    >> >
    >> > I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk
    >> > manager.
    >> > Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive - I
    >> > checked
    >> > "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order in the BIOS to
    >> > boot
    >> > from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE drives.
    >> >
    >> > I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
    >> >
    >> > I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a
    >> > couple
    >> > of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating system
    >> > it
    >> > would be a big time saver.
    >> >
    >> > I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If
    >> > you
    >> > chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6 option
    >> > install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions would be appriciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Garth Wayne Gairrett

    I'm guessing that you have an Intel motherboard right? I've run into this
    problem many times, but it will work. Try going into the BIOS and going to
    Advanced > IDE Configuration > make sure the following settings are set -
    Configure SATA as IDE, IDE Mode Select as Compatable or on earlier versions
    it might be "Legacy" then restore the image to the SATA drive again and try
    it.
    SteveF

    In article <44429A0A-5D10-45EF-8244-ACDEED07DA21@microsoft.com>,
    ggarret1@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I tried that first D, but Ghost couldn't see the drive untill I partitioned
    > it. Maybe I could have done something in Windows Disk Manager to get Ghost
    > to see the drive without partitioning. I didn't see any option other than
    > partition.

    If you image one drive to another, you don't need to partition it. If
    you copy a partition from one drive to another drive you don't need to
    partition it. If you are just cloning files, then you may need to
    partition it.

    To clone a drive, it will make an exact data copy, not file level, but
    sector by sector, including boot, from source to destination - the good
    thing is that you can also change the size of the destination partitions
    (if you have more than one).

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Well, the only software I have installed for the task is Norton Ghost, which
    is supposed to be real good at least if you believe Symantec's propaganda.
    The only option Norton Ghost gives me reads -

    "Copy One Drive to Another

    Copy the contents of your drive directly to another drive. This feature is
    useful when upgrading to a larger hard drive."

    Ghost couldn't "see" the drive untill I used Windows Disk Manager to
    partition it. Disk Manager doesn't give me any option for "image" or "copy
    partition"
    --
    Garth Wayne Gairrett

    "Leythos" wrote:

    > In article <44429A0A-5D10-45EF-8244-ACDEED07DA21@microsoft.com>,
    > ggarret1@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > > I tried that first D, but Ghost couldn't see the drive untill I partitioned
    > > it. Maybe I could have done something in Windows Disk Manager to get Ghost
    > > to see the drive without partitioning. I didn't see any option other than
    > > partition.
    >
    > If you image one drive to another, you don't need to partition it. If
    > you copy a partition from one drive to another drive you don't need to
    > partition it. If you are just cloning files, then you may need to
    > partition it.
    >
    > To clone a drive, it will make an exact data copy, not file level, but
    > sector by sector, including boot, from source to destination - the good
    > thing is that you can also change the size of the destination partitions
    > (if you have more than one).
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    If you have Norton ghost installed on the IDE drive then did a ghost image
    to the SATA then you must have had the SATA drivers loaded on the IDE drive.
    (or did you use a boot disk, a floppy)
    I would just go ahead and do a repair install with just the SATA drive
    connected and press F6 when prompted, then the OS will install the drivers
    it need to run the SATA drive and you should end up with a working system.
    If your XP CD is the original then you will need to update to SP2 and apply
    the other updates. If you have a slipstreamed disk with SP2 then just the
    updates will be needed.

    Whatever you do, do not format or delete the files on your IDE drive until
    the new system is up and running.

    best of luck
    Neil

    "ggarret1" <ggarret1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA
    >drive
    > and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
    >
    > I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk manager.
    > Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive - I checked
    > "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order in the BIOS to
    > boot
    > from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE drives.
    >
    > I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
    >
    > I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a couple
    > of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating system it
    > would be a big time saver.
    >
    > I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If you
    > chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6 option to
    > install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
    >
    > Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appriciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Garth Wayne Gairrett
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <B900E7DA-4A5D-445B-8DC3-EDB415D15BB9@microsoft.com>,
    ggarret1@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > Well, the only software I have installed for the task is Norton Ghost, which
    > is supposed to be real good at least if you believe Symantec's propaganda.
    > The only option Norton Ghost gives me reads -
    >
    > "Copy One Drive to Another
    >
    > Copy the contents of your drive directly to another drive. This feature is
    > useful when upgrading to a larger hard drive."
    >
    > Ghost couldn't "see" the drive untill I used Windows Disk Manager to
    > partition it. Disk Manager doesn't give me any option for "image" or "copy
    > partition"

    That's because your not using the real ghost, you're using something
    Symantec bought and named Ghost. If you want to really clone a drive,
    exact image, you make a ghost Boot Floppy, boot from it, and then clone
    drive 0 to drive 1

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me