Ghost Operating System to SATA drive

ggarret1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005

I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA
drive and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.

I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk
manager. Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive
- I checked to "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order
in the BIOS to boot from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE
drives.

I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)

I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a
couple of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating
system it would be a big time saver.

I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If
you chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6
option to install a third party SATA or RAID driver?

Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.

Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks

Garth

--
ggarret1

I have done it with Norton Ghost.
Since the drive number (drive 0, or 01, etc; will change
you will have either to edit the boot.ini file.

Or you can just repair the installation, booting from
your CD. You press F6 at the beginning of the process.

It should work. You won't have to reinstall your programs.

"ggarret1" <ggarret1.1t85pm@pcbanter.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
ggarret1.1t85pm@pcbanter.net...

> I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA
> drive and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
>
> I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk
> manager. Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive
> - I checked to "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order
> in the BIOS to boot from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE
> drives.
>
> I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
>
> I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a
> couple of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating
> system it would be a big time saver.
>
> I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If
> you chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6
> option to install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
>
> Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
>
> Any suggestions would be appriciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Garth
>

> --
> ggarret1

Hi Garth, this may be the same problem I struggled with using Ghost
with SCSI boot drives. Did you begin the clone process from a boot
floppy/CD or from the installed program in Windows? if it's the latter,
then what Ghost has done is create a temporary boot record that doesn't
recognize your SATA bus, and you need to delete it with FDISK; FDISK is
part of a DOS bootable disk.

You MUST do a repair installation, AND use F6 to load the SATA drivers.

Further, these drivers must be on a floppy, not on a CD. If yo do not have
a floppy, get one, since the alternative of trying to slip-stream the
drivers into the XP CD as not for most home users.

Note that the SATA drivers come from the motherboard maker, not the hard
drive maker. Or, if using a PCI-to-SATA board, from whomever made that
board.

"ggarret1" <ggarret1.1t85pm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA
> drive and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
>
> I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk
> manager. Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive
> - I checked to "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order
> in the BIOS to boot from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE
> drives.
>
> I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
>
> I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a
> couple of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating
> system it would be a big time saver.
>
> I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If
> you chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6
> option to install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
>
> Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
>
> Any suggestions would be appriciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Garth
>

> --
> ggarret1

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

If required (depends on motherboard)t he necessary files will be found
on the motherboard installation CD.
You just copy them to a diskette.

"Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
uIBUuuUmFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> You MUST do a repair installation, AND use F6 to load the SATA drivers.
>
> Further, these drivers must be on a floppy, not on a CD. If yo do not
> have a floppy, get one, since the alternative of trying to slip-stream the
> drivers into the XP CD as not for most home users.
>
> Note that the SATA drivers come from the motherboard maker, not the hard
> drive maker. Or, if using a PCI-to-SATA board, from whomever made that
> board.
>

> "ggarret1" <ggarret1.1t85pm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I have been running Windows XP on an IDE drive. I just got a Serial ATA
>> drive and I want to transfer my operating system to the SATA drive.
>>
>> I hooked up the SATA drive and particioned it with Windows Disk
>> manager. Then I used Norton Ghost to ghost my c drive to the new drive
>> - I checked to "copy MBR" box. I then restarted and set the boot order
>> in the BIOS to boot from the new drive. I also disconnected my IDE
>> drives.
>>
>> I got a boot error (It couldn't be that simple could it?)
>>
>> I have about a gagzillion programs installed and it would take me a
>> couple of weeks to reinstall them all. If I could ghost the operating
>> system it would be a big time saver.
>>
>> I thought about doing a repair with the Windows installation disk. If
>> you chose "repair an existing installation" does it give you that F6
>> option to install a third party SATA or RAID driver?
>>
>> Anyway, I'm not sure that is the way to go.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appriciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Garth
>>

>> --
>> ggarret1

Do you mean edit it before attempting to boot from the SATA drive?

Does the BIOS report drive numbers in the order that it finds bootable
drives (which can be configured), or does it just report drive numbers
as it detects them on IDE0, IDE1, SATA etc?

In the case of the latter, I can see how a SATA drive might never appear
to have the same drive number as the original boot IDE. The problem
does not manifest itself when cloning IDE drives since the new drive can
be jumpered as master (i.e. appear as disk 0).

How do drive number, boot.ini and drive letters relate to each other?
This is the key to understanding how to successfully clone a new
C-drive, as clearly some relationships have to be preserved.

-Pat