What are the basics of putting my old videos on to vcd or dvd?
Thanks
John

gee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

You would need a video capture card or TV Card, a CD/DVD Writer and some
software like Nero or Roxio.

That's that.

"John H" <jh89s@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> What are the basics of putting my old videos on to vcd or dvd?
> Thanks
> John

Microsoft Plus! SuperPack for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/plushome.asp

Plus! SuperPack FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/faq.asp

Preserve and restore those old vinyl albums and cassettes with Plus! Analog Recorder
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/HowTo_AnalogRecorder.asp

Download Help Documentation
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/help.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"John H" wrote:

| What are the basics of putting my old videos on to vcd or dvd?
| Thanks
| John

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

> What are the basics of putting my old videos on to vcd or dvd?
> Thanks
> John

Forget about using a pc, get yourself a standalone dvd recorder.

In article <42f1dcce$1@clear.net.nz>, jh89s@yahoo.com.au says...
> What are the basics of putting my old videos on to vcd or dvd?
> Thanks
> John

You need a video card that has at least an Composite-Video input, but a
S-Video or FireWire connection (if your video unit has one) would be
best for quality.

Then, you need a large hard drive - two drives works best, one of the
source capture, one for the rendering part.

Then you need a FAST system, even Dual CPU's unless you want to way for
hours at a time.

Then you need simple to use Video Capture/Burning software. When I
needed to make a couple 2 hour DVD's real quickly I bought Pinnable
Studio Version 9 and was able to make DVD's the same day.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:14:44 +1200, "John H" <jh89s@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>What are the basics of putting my old videos on to vcd or dvd?
>Thanks
>John

Get a VHS/DVD Recorder fromn a place like Walmart. This has both
devices in one unit. To copy a video,just put in the tape and a blank
disc and press DUB. It will take 2 hours to copy a 2 hour movie. After
it is finalized you can use it in a pc or other dvd player.

John M. Emler

John H wrote:
> What are the basics of putting my old videos on to vcd or dvd?
> Thanks
> John

You will need a composite video input card (some graphic accelerator
cards have this function)

You will need a DVD writer and the appropriate reader. Make sure the DVD
writer includes software for decrypting retail DVDs during the playing
process.

You will need authoring software. I've heard compliments about Pinnicale
Studio, but I had already purchased Magix Movies on CD and DVD. Make
sure whatever software you get has good DVD menu editing capabilities. I
don't know how well stand alone DVD recorders or combo VHS players / DVD
Recorder-Players handle menu creation.

Be aware that nearly all prerecorded VHS tapes feature intentional
measures (Macrovision copy protection technoligy) that will either
degrade the picture quality of copies or completely prevent copying the
picture. Most televisions handle these "defects" without trouble, but
many recorders (computer AND component) are less tolerant. Duplication
of video to optical disks may only work well with off the air programs
(subject to reception quality) and recordings from a consumer camcorder.

Andy

This site should tell you everything and more:
http://www.videohelp.com/