Epson C82 N

Hi!

Why does my printer appear to be printing, even sound as if it is
printing but blank paper comes out.

I ran all the maintenance apps...clean heads, etc, about 4 of them.
Nothing

Reloaded software. Nothing.

I printed a letter, .txt, from MS WORD with all black ink except one
color line. No black at all! Color came out extremely faint!

Printed a photo from Adobe PhotoShop Elements...extremely faint and
off color.

Tried thicker paper, even tried envelope setting. Nothing.

Woooooo! I give up and need help!

Mike

Michael P Gabriel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Why does my printer appear to be printing, even sound as if it is
> printing but blank paper comes out.
>
> I ran all the maintenance apps...clean heads, etc, about 4 of them.
> Nothing
>
> Reloaded software. Nothing.
>
> I printed a letter, .txt, from MS WORD with all black ink except one
> color line. No black at all! Color came out extremely faint!
>
> Printed a photo from Adobe PhotoShop Elements...extremely faint and
> off color.
>
> Tried thicker paper, even tried envelope setting. Nothing.
>
> Woooooo! I give up and need help!
>
> Mike

By 'cleaning' the printheads you are merely exacerbating the problem. All
the 'cleaning' cycle does is lay down more ink, on top of what's already
there, and makes the issue worse. You now have two choices: -

1) Take an empty cartridge, one of each colour, and fill with Windex.
Replace the carts you have in there with the Windex carts and alternate
running cleaning cycles/nozzle checks until the paper comes out clean. When
the paper is clean, remove the Windex carts and replace with BRAND NEW
ones - do NOT, under any circumstances, replace the ones you removed.

Print a nozzle check. If you don't see anything on the paper, run one
cleaning cycle, to get the ink flowing, and try a nozzle test again. That
should be all that's needed. You shouldn't need to run any more than two
cleaning cycles to get things going again.

2) If you don't wish to fill your own carts, there are a number of
outlets that offer cleaning carts. Just Google for 'inkjet cleaning
cartridges' - you're bound to find a myriad of companies selling them.
Simply replace your existing carts with the cleaning ones and proceed as
above.

Running a cleaning cycle can use as much as a fifth of a cartridge. It
should be used very sparingly - after all, ink is, obviously, money!

Michael P Gabriel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Why does my printer appear to be printing, even sound as if it is
> printing but blank paper comes out.
>
> I ran all the maintenance apps...clean heads, etc, about 4 of them.
> Nothing
>
> Reloaded software. Nothing.
>
> I printed a letter, .txt, from MS WORD with all black ink except one
> color line. No black at all! Color came out extremely faint!
>
> Printed a photo from Adobe PhotoShop Elements...extremely faint and
> off color.
>
> Tried thicker paper, even tried envelope setting. Nothing.
>
> Woooooo! I give up and need help!
>
> Mike

I had a similar problem with an Epson 860 recently - printer was going
through the motions but no ink getting on to the paper, even after trying
all the recommendations re cleaning (Windex-loaded cartridges, etc). I
discovered the problem was that the head capper wasn't doing it's job of
cleaning the head and pulling fresh ink through because it's supporting
springs were missing. This may or may not be the same problem you have, but
you may want to check out the possibility.... If it is, you'll still need
to give the heads a good cleaning as others suggest, since a non-sealing
cap could allow the head and/or cartridges to dry out.

Al Preston

Contact me in private email for a cleaning manual for Epson printers, I
believe the heads of your printer are clogged.

It may take a few days to get to you as I have several projects on the
run right now.

Art

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> By 'cleaning' the printheads you are merely exacerbating the problem. All
> the 'cleaning' cycle does is lay down more ink, on top of what's already
> there, and makes the issue worse. You now have two choices: -

You state this regularly, and it is simply incorrect under several of
the circumstances you have responded to. If the nozzles are clogged,
and that is the principal reason ink doesn't print from the printer when
it goes through the motions and no ink appears on the paper, then
cleaning cycles do nothing. They neither make things worse, nor do they
use up any ink.

You are correct that if the head is partially clogged, where some
nozzles are functional, a lot of ink is likely to come out of the
nozzles that are clear and none out of the clogged ones, and that's a
waste of ink. Typically, if the clog is not resolved with 3 cleaning
cycles, it is best to move on to another method.

Epson printers use a passive vacuum system to clear the heads. The
vacuum is applied to the outside surface of the head. If the nozzles
are clogged, due to dried ink on their outer surface, which is almost
always the cause of a no print condition, then no ink comes out of them,
and the vacuum cleaning is unsuccessful. Things don't get any better,
but they also don't get any worse.

In this circumstance, the first thing to try is to fill the waste ink
station with a solvent, as you say, an ammoniated window cleaner is best
for the inks used with both Epson dye and pigment inks, and set the
heads back there and allow the solvent to dissolve the ink on the
surface of the head. This often is all that is required, short term,
and then a few cleaning cycles and its good.

Another technique is to use a quality paper towel dampened with the same
liquid which is carefully positioned under the head and the head is
carefully dragged across the towel to remove dried ink. Finally, if
that doesn't work (and several attempts can be made) it may be necessary
to make up cleaning cartridges, as you mentioned. This is explained in
detail in the cleaning manual I distribute by request via email at no
charge.

As to not using the old cartridges again, that really depends. If the
cause of the clogs to begin with is that the ink in the cartridges
became dried out and too thick (rare) then I'd agree. With the newer
chipped cartridges, well, they are designed to be removed and reused,
and there is absolutely no reason not to reuse them once the clog is fixed.

And even with the non-chipped cartridges, there is a method to almost
eliminate the risk of an airlock, so again, unless the ink in the
cartridge is bad, there is no reason not to reuse the cartridge and use
up the ink in it.

As much as your information is useful, it has a number of errors in it
which you should correct if you wish to benefit those who read it.

BTW, I have been helping people to unclog their Epson printers for
nearly 10 years now, and some of the techniques you discuss in your
instructions, I developed and disseminated ages ago, so no flames please.

Art

> 1) Take an empty cartridge, one of each colour, and fill with Windex.
> Replace the carts you have in there with the Windex carts and alternate
> running cleaning cycles/nozzle checks until the paper comes out clean. When
> the paper is clean, remove the Windex carts and replace with BRAND NEW
> ones - do NOT, under any circumstances, replace the ones you removed.
>
> Print a nozzle check. If you don't see anything on the paper, run one
> cleaning cycle, to get the ink flowing, and try a nozzle test again. That
> should be all that's needed. You shouldn't need to run any more than two
> cleaning cycles to get things going again.
>
> 2) If you don't wish to fill your own carts, there are a number of
> outlets that offer cleaning carts. Just Google for 'inkjet cleaning
> cartridges' - you're bound to find a myriad of companies selling them.
> Simply replace your existing carts with the cleaning ones and proceed as
> above.
>
> Running a cleaning cycle can use as much as a fifth of a cartridge. It
> should be used very sparingly - after all, ink is, obviously, money!

In Al's case the problem was missing springs.

Why they were missing is still a mystery... If you play around with the
waste ink/cleaning station you may spring the springs out of place and
they are a real hassle to get back there correctly, but they normally do
not just disappear, and this is a very uncommon occurrence.

However, it can happen if someone has mishandle the printer or it has
been badly shipped once used (the original packing from Epson makes it
nearly impossible for those springs to be misplaced).

Art