Pinmod question (Applebred)

I've tried pinmodding my AMD Duron Applebred 1800 but it doesn't work.
Probably this is because I didn't done it ok.
I've followed instructions from
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html and
matched only 2 pins showed when you click to "Unlock - Multi via BIOS..."
and left everything else blank.
In another words - I wanted just to unlock my processor, to enable changing
of multipliers via BIOS and leave everything else (FSB, vcore) to BIOS.
I have idea to rise FSB at 200 MHz and lower multiplier to gain 2000 MHz
speed as result. That's because memory can work 1:1 with FSB.
SO, FINALLY: what exactly do I have to do for that?
THX for answers!
--
Greetings, Jadranko Albert
www.prevrat.net

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:02:39 +0200, Jadranko Albert wrote:

> I've tried pinmodding my AMD Duron Applebred 1800 but it doesn't work.
> Probably this is because I didn't done it ok.
> I've followed instructions from
> http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html and
> matched only 2 pins showed when you click to "Unlock - Multi via BIOS..."
> and left everything else blank.
> In another words - I wanted just to unlock my processor, to enable changing
> of multipliers via BIOS and leave everything else (FSB, vcore) to BIOS.
> I have idea to rise FSB at 200 MHz and lower multiplier to gain 2000 MHz
> speed as result. That's because memory can work 1:1 with FSB.
> SO, FINALLY: what exactly do I have to do for that?

Nothing. The pinmod can only manipulate multiplier bits. It can't unlock a
locked cpu. And yours is probably locked. Your best bet to overclock this
cpu is by raising the default 133Mhz FSB. 13.5x166 sounds good to me if
it'll make it there (2250MHz) assuming you don't have a Tbred A core. Oh,
and don't forget to raise vcore to at least 1.65v. May take more for
13.5x166.

Jadranko Albert wrote:
> I've tried pinmodding my AMD Duron Applebred 1800 but it doesn't work.
> Probably this is because I didn't done it ok.
> I've followed instructions from
> http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html
> and matched only 2 pins showed when you click to "Unlock - Multi via
> BIOS..." and left everything else blank.

OCInside is one of the many places that incorrectly call the changing of the
5th (and sometimes 3rd as well) multiplier bit "unlocking". Changing the
multiplier bits does nothing to unlock the CPU. It never has, and never
will.

An Athlon CPU can be locked in one of two ways:
1) The L1 bridges are cut. The startup multiplier can still be adjusted by
manipulating the L3's. To be able to change it in the BIOS or through
pinmods, you need to rejoin the L1 bridges. Depending on your CPU, this may
or may not require insulation of the pits first. The last core where this
applied was the Palomino.
2) The L3 bridge configuration is die-locked. The startup multiplier is set
in a way similar to the way the multiplier is set on a P4. Manipulations of
the L3 bridges and pinmods (or equavalently setting the multiplier through
the BIOS) have no effect. There is no way to unlock such chips, though they
can be changed into mobile chips and have their multipliers adjusted through
PowerNow (assuming you have a board that supports such changes). This
applies to all chips bought since about September or October last year.

For a more full explanation, see
http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdunlock

[...]

--