USB Flash Drive

Using XP. When I try to install a USB 2.0 Flash Drive I get an error message
telling me that I need a hi-speed controller. Can anyone tell me what this
means, how I do it? (Before I updated from ME to XP, this flash drive
worked!)
Many thanks.
--
Richard Gruen
17 answers Last reply

    "Hi-speed" means the higher speed USB 2.0 specification. You can buy a USB
    2.0 card at any store that sells computers. However, Windows XP supports the
    lower speed as well.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "rickbrem" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Using XP. When I try to install a USB 2.0 Flash Drive I get an error
    message
    > telling me that I need a hi-speed controller. Can anyone tell me what
    this
    > means, how I do it? (Before I updated from ME to XP, this flash drive
    > worked!)
    > Many thanks.
    > --
    > Richard Gruen

    Many thanks for responding, but I'm still confused. If the drive worked
    w/ME, why wouldn't it work w/XP? Did I lose functionality with the upgrade
    of OS!!!??? If you tell me I did, I'll run right out and get that 2.0 card,
    but I'll be scratching my head with one hand whilst driving with the other!
    --
    Richard Gruen

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > "Hi-speed" means the higher speed USB 2.0 specification. You can buy a USB
    > 2.0 card at any store that sells computers. However, Windows XP supports the
    > lower speed as well.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."
    >
    > "rickbrem" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Using XP. When I try to install a USB 2.0 Flash Drive I get an error
    > message
    > > telling me that I need a hi-speed controller. Can anyone tell me what
    > this
    > > means, how I do it? (Before I updated from ME to XP, this flash drive
    > > worked!)
    > > Many thanks.
    > > --
    > > Richard Gruen

    Rick how old is that motherboard that you have in that computer. Newer motherboards support USB 2.0 high speed. Older boards did have only LIMITED support

    --
    Peter

    "=?Utf-8?B?cmlja2JyZW0=?=" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Using XP. When I try to install a USB 2.0 Flash Drive I get an
    > error message telling me that I need a hi-speed controller. Can
    > anyone tell me what this means, how I do it? (Before I updated
    > from ME to XP, this flash drive worked!)
    > Many thanks.

    Read the "Error Message" more carefully - it is really a "FYI"
    message.

    Thanks for the response, but it really isn't. Although it innocently tells
    me that the drive simply won't function as fast as it might, WinExp doesn't
    even recognize it, leaving me with no functionality at all.
    --
    Richard Gruen

    "McSpreader" wrote:

    > "=?Utf-8?B?cmlja2JyZW0=?=" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Using XP. When I try to install a USB 2.0 Flash Drive I get an
    > > error message telling me that I need a hi-speed controller. Can
    > > anyone tell me what this means, how I do it? (Before I updated
    > > from ME to XP, this flash drive worked!)
    > > Many thanks.
    >
    > Read the "Error Message" more carefully - it is really a "FYI"
    > message.

    See if the manufacturer has an update on the software for this.

    > Thanks for the response, but it really isn't. Although it innocently
    > tells
    > me that the drive simply won't function as fast as it might, WinExp
    > doesn't
    > even recognize it, leaving me with no functionality at all.
    > --
    > Richard Gruen
    >

    > "McSpreader" wrote:
    >
    >> "=?Utf-8?B?cmlja2JyZW0=?=" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Using XP. When I try to install a USB 2.0 Flash Drive I get an
    >> > error message telling me that I need a hi-speed controller. Can
    >> > anyone tell me what this means, how I do it? (Before I updated
    >> > from ME to XP, this flash drive worked!)
    >> > Many thanks.
    >>
    >> Read the "Error Message" more carefully - it is really a "FYI"
    >> message.

    Thanks for the response, but no luck here, either. Manufacturer says that no
    downloads are required for those running XP.
    --
    Richard Gruen

    "Jack Handey" wrote:

    > See if the manufacturer has an update on the software for this.
    >

    > "rickbrem" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the response, but it really isn't. Although it innocently
    > > tells
    > > me that the drive simply won't function as fast as it might, WinExp
    > > doesn't
    > > even recognize it, leaving me with no functionality at all.
    > > --
    > > Richard Gruen
    > >

    > > "McSpreader" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "=?Utf-8?B?cmlja2JyZW0=?=" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > >> Read the "Error Message" more carefully - it is really a "FYI"
    > >> message.

    My 'puter's probably about 4 years old ... you may well have hit upon the
    problem ... age gets us all!
    Thx/Rick
    --
    Richard Gruen

    "Peter Foldes" wrote:

    > Rick how old is that motherboard that you have in that computer. Newer motherboards support USB 2.0 high speed. Older boards did have only LIMITED support
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > "rickbrem" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0605C671-37F8-4ABB-B1EB-50310D87A35D@microsoft.com...
    > > Many thanks for responding, but I'm still confused. If the drive worked
    > > w/ME, why wouldn't it work w/XP? Did I lose functionality with the upgrade
    > > of OS!!!??? If you tell me I did, I'll run right out and get that 2.0 card,
    > > but I'll be scratching my head with one hand whilst driving with the other!
    > > --
    > > Richard Gruen
    > >

    > > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Hi-speed" means the higher speed USB 2.0 specification. You can buy a USB
    > >> 2.0 card at any store that sells computers. However, Windows XP supports the
    > >> lower speed as well.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ted Zieglar
    > >> "You can do it if you try."
    > >>
    > >> "rickbrem" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> message
    > >> this

    "=?Utf-8?B?cmlja2JyZW0=?=" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Thanks for the response, but it really isn't. Although it
    > innocently tells me that the drive simply won't function as fast
    > as it might, ...
    That's the FYI message I was referring to - it is not an error
    message and the USB2 device *should* work OK, albeit at USB1.1 speed.
    My Computer should display a new drive corresponding to your device.

    > ... WinExp doesn't even recognize it, leaving me with
    > no functionality at all.

    As stated above, it should work fine at USB1.1 speed.

    Try plugging the drive into another PC.

    Try plugging a different drive into your PC.

    Again, thx.
    The drive does work in another computer, but three flash drives do not
    function in this one.
    I just came back from a techie who explained that the USB slot on the front
    of the computer was probably 1.1, but that those in the back were 2.0. I
    used the supplied cable and tried that route, once again with no luck ... no
    functionality at all, even at a slower speed. My computer still fails to
    recognize the drive at all. Do you think I need some other controller to
    make it function?
    --
    Richard Gruen

    "McSpreader" wrote:

    > "=?Utf-8?B?cmlja2JyZW0=?=" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Thanks for the response, but it really isn't. Although it
    > > innocently tells me that the drive simply won't function as fast
    > > as it might, ...
    > That's the FYI message I was referring to - it is not an error
    > message and the USB2 device *should* work OK, albeit at USB1.1 speed.
    > My Computer should display a new drive corresponding to your device.
    >
    > > ... WinExp doesn't even recognize it, leaving me with
    > > no functionality at all.
    >
    > As stated above, it should work fine at USB1.1 speed.
    >
    > Try plugging the drive into another PC.
    >
    > Try plugging a different drive into your PC.

    The drive should still work... It is just a "information" message, which
    tells you that you would get higher performance with a USB 2.0 adapter card.

    > Again, thx.
    > The drive does work in another computer, but three flash drives
    > do not function in this one.
    > I just came back from a techie who explained that the USB slot
    > on the front of the computer was probably 1.1, but that those in
    > the back were 2.0. I used the supplied cable and tried that
    > route, once again with no luck ... no functionality at all, even
    > at a slower speed. My computer still fails to recognize the
    > drive at all. Do you think I need some other controller to make
    > it function?

    OK, looks like it is problem with the PC. IME Windows XP is pretty
    good at handling USB flash drives. As your PC doesn't recognise the
    new device via P&P, my prime suspect would be the motherboard
    firmware.

    Try updating to the most recent BIOS for your motherboar.

    If that doesn't help, I'd try adding a USB2 PCI card.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Many thanks ... I'm on it!
    --
    Richard Gruen

    "McSpreader" wrote:

    > "=?Utf-8?B?cmlja2JyZW0=?=" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Again, thx.
    > > The drive does work in another computer, but three flash drives
    > > do not function in this one.
    > > I just came back from a techie who explained that the USB slot
    > > on the front of the computer was probably 1.1, but that those in
    > > the back were 2.0. I used the supplied cable and tried that
    > > route, once again with no luck ... no functionality at all, even
    > > at a slower speed. My computer still fails to recognize the
    > > drive at all. Do you think I need some other controller to make
    > > it function?
    >
    > OK, looks like it is problem with the PC. IME Windows XP is pretty
    > good at handling USB flash drives. As your PC doesn't recognise the
    > new device via P&P, my prime suspect would be the motherboard
    > firmware.
    >
    > Try updating to the most recent BIOS for your motherboar.
    >
    > If that doesn't help, I'd try adding a USB2 PCI card.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I think you should got to Start > ControlPanel > System > Select Device
    Manager > and while the drive is plugged in locate the USB flash drive and
    uninstall it. Then unplug it, wait 10 seconds or so, and then plug it back
    in. Windows may recognize it properly the next time. As added probability
    of success, after uninstalling, and unpluging the drive, restart the
    computer, and then plug it back in.

    > Many thanks ... I'm on it!
    > --
    > Richard Gruen
    >

    > "McSpreader" wrote:
    >
    >> "=?Utf-8?B?cmlja2JyZW0=?=" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Again, thx.
    >> > The drive does work in another computer, but three flash drives
    >> > do not function in this one.
    >> > I just came back from a techie who explained that the USB slot
    >> > on the front of the computer was probably 1.1, but that those in
    >> > the back were 2.0. I used the supplied cable and tried that
    >> > route, once again with no luck ... no functionality at all, even
    >> > at a slower speed. My computer still fails to recognize the
    >> > drive at all. Do you think I need some other controller to make
    >> > it function?
    >>
    >> OK, looks like it is problem with the PC. IME Windows XP is pretty
    >> good at handling USB flash drives. As your PC doesn't recognise the
    >> new device via P&P, my prime suspect would be the motherboard
    >> firmware.
    >>
    >> Try updating to the most recent BIOS for your motherboar.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't help, I'd try adding a USB2 PCI card.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi,

    rickbrem wrote:
    > The drive does work in another computer, but three flash
    > drives do not function in this one.

    What you've been told is correct. The message you receive is informational.
    You are focusing on the wrong thing, while your flash drive isn't working
    for some other reason.

    Plug it in, give it a few seconds, then go to "Start" -> "Run", and type in
    "diskmgmt.msc". See if it shows your drive (as a removable drive) and what
    drive letter (if any) has been assigned to it. Report back here.

    There is a fairly common issue with flash drives ending up with the same
    drive letter as previously mapped network drives, effectively making them
    invisible. If you see that the drive has been assigned a drive letter used
    by something else in your setup, right click it and change the drive letter
    to an unused one.

    In the unlikely event Disk Management shows the flash drive as having
    unallocated space or unknown type partition, you should consider
    partitioning and/or formatting it. Keep in mind that will destroy any data
    presently on the drive.

    --
    Chris Priede (priede@panix.com)
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Unplug it and then check my computer. What drives are listed there. List all
    of them. I suspect the system is trying to give a drive letter that is
    already in use.

    "rickbrem" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Again, thx.
    > The drive does work in another computer, but three flash drives do not
    > function in this one.
    > I just came back from a techie who explained that the USB slot on the
    > front
    > of the computer was probably 1.1, but that those in the back were 2.0. I
    > used the supplied cable and tried that route, once again with no luck ...
    > no
    > functionality at all, even at a slower speed. My computer still fails to
    > recognize the drive at all. Do you think I need some other controller to
    > make it function?
    > --
    > Richard Gruen
    >

    > "McSpreader" wrote:
    >
    >> "=?Utf-8?B?cmlja2JyZW0=?=" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Thanks for the response, but it really isn't. Although it
    >> > innocently tells me that the drive simply won't function as fast
    >> > as it might, ...
    >> That's the FYI message I was referring to - it is not an error
    >> message and the USB2 device *should* work OK, albeit at USB1.1 speed.
    >> My Computer should display a new drive corresponding to your device.
    >>
    >> > ... WinExp doesn't even recognize it, leaving me with
    >> > no functionality at all.
    >>
    >> As stated above, it should work fine at USB1.1 speed.
    >>
    >> Try plugging the drive into another PC.
    >>
    >> Try plugging a different drive into your PC.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > My 'puter's probably about 4 years old ... you may well have hit upon the
    > problem ... age gets us all!
    > Thx/Rick
    > --
    > Richard Gruen
    >

    > "Peter Foldes" wrote:
    >
    >> Rick how old is that motherboard that you have in that computer. Newer
    >> motherboards support USB 2.0 high speed. Older boards did have only
    >> LIMITED support
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    >> "rickbrem" <rg_4023@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Many thanks for responding, but I'm still confused. If the drive
    >> > worked
    >> > w/ME, why wouldn't it work w/XP? Did I lose functionality with the
    >> > upgrade
    >> > of OS!!!??? If you tell me I did, I'll run right out and get that 2.0
    >> > card,
    >> > but I'll be scratching my head with one hand whilst driving with the
    >> > other!
    >> > --
    >> > Richard Gruen

Flash Drive Windows XP