Arctic silver 3 or 5 ?

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 03:38:04 +0000, GEORGE ARIAS wrote:

> Which is better ? TIA

neither. It is purely marketing. Most test results show insignificant
reduction in CPU core temps using Arctic Silver versus other, less
expensive heat sink compound. Just use the stuff you got with your HSF.

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

I just got some Artic silver 5, 2 or 3 degress is enough reason for me
to put it on the cpu atleast, every degree is a must for
overclocking.

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:07:00 -0700, Larry Gagnon
<lagagnon@fakeuniserve.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 03:38:04 +0000, GEORGE ARIAS wrote:
>
>> Which is better ? TIA
>
>neither. It is purely marketing. Most test results show insignificant
>reduction in CPU core temps using Arctic Silver versus other, less
>expensive heat sink compound. Just use the stuff you got with your HSF.
>
>Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

morgan

> I just got some Artic silver 5, 2 or 3 degress is enough reason for me
> to put it on the cpu atleast, every degree is a must for
> overclocking.

Reading your other posts it does seem as though you have a Zalman 7000 CU
cooler, like me, and as you know they do a pretty damn good job of keeping
those temps down. So much so that there will be reasons other than
temperature as to why you will max out your overclocking speed.

Using the latest AS or a generic thermal paste I find no real difference, if
both are applied correctly.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive noisy....
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

morgan

Why do you have to cut your clip, I may have noticed your motherboard but I
have forgotten, do you have a Abit NF7-S type of board or something...?
I have found that with my DFI Lanparty board it fits with a small piece of
insulating tape preventing the clip from coming into contact with the back
of the parallel port.
Someone once posted in a forum that they contact Zalman and they sent him a
cut down clip, not sure if there was a price involved.
That would seem better to me then at least you get to have the cooler ready
if and when you need that retaining clip.

But yes the cooler is awesome, mine is plugged directly into my motherboard
and is running all the time at 2500 RPM, very quiet and very efficient to
say the least...!!!

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive noisy....
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Yeah got an Abit NF7-S 2.0 and i belive i have to cut the clip :(

Just taking my time as i don't want to stuff it up thinking about how
to do it, would need a saw a good one to cut it, or a dremil or
somthin glike that ?

Any ideas ?

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:07:25 +0100, "Morgan" <morgan@home.net> wrote:

>Why do you have to cut your clip, I may have noticed your motherboard but I
>have forgotten, do you have a Abit NF7-S type of board or something...?
>I have found that with my DFI Lanparty board it fits with a small piece of
>insulating tape preventing the clip from coming into contact with the back
>of the parallel port.
>Someone once posted in a forum that they contact Zalman and they sent him a
>cut down clip, not sure if there was a price involved.
>That would seem better to me then at least you get to have the cooler ready
>if and when you need that retaining clip.
>
>But yes the cooler is awesome, mine is plugged directly into my motherboard
>and is running all the time at 2500 RPM, very quiet and very efficient to
>say the least...!!!

Ill give Zalman a email and ask for a cut down clip ?? you never know
they might send me one ?

I am in Australia but to send a clip ? must not cost anything realy
even from the us, its not like its big and heavy and i have been a BIg
Zalman fan :)

Ill try.

Thanks.

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:07:25 +0100, "Morgan" <morgan@home.net> wrote:

>Why do you have to cut your clip, I may have noticed your motherboard but I
>have forgotten, do you have a Abit NF7-S type of board or something...?
>I have found that with my DFI Lanparty board it fits with a small piece of
>insulating tape preventing the clip from coming into contact with the back
>of the parallel port.
>Someone once posted in a forum that they contact Zalman and they sent him a
>cut down clip, not sure if there was a price involved.
>That would seem better to me then at least you get to have the cooler ready
>if and when you need that retaining clip.
>
>But yes the cooler is awesome, mine is plugged directly into my motherboard
>and is running all the time at 2500 RPM, very quiet and very efficient to
>say the least...!!!

morgan

Yes I agree, try and contact Zalman to see if they can help rather than
using a dremel type of cutter (I believe that you can't use a saw on it as
it is too tough) to cut the retaining clip.
Cutting the clip must be the last option as you would then be stuffed if you
should need to use it when you upgrade.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive noisy....
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Well i dont intend to upgrade till some dual core Amd chips come out,
or Quad Cores :)

So its going to be a while a new CPU cooler i will need by then.

So @&@@& the clip is not a prob for the long term short term yes :p

Thanks.