Uh Oh! Deleted file needed to log on

August 4, 2005 8:56:08 PM

Last weekend I accidently deleted a file that my computer needs to recognize
my computer (I was cleanning up in preparation to wipe my hard drive). I can
log on in safe mode with a generic keyboard but cannot log in using my
password because the generic keyboard is not recognized.

I can get to the set up menu but cannot change the boot order. When I log
in in safe mode, the CD ROM does not work.

When I use the FingerPrint recognition keyboard, the function keys do not
work, but the "dots" show up in the password box when I type. The password
is not recognized.

What can I do?
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:29:10 PM

If you had system restore turned on, You could try this..Open it up in safe
mode w/ command prompt and type this (without quotes)
"%systemrestore%/system32/restore/rstrui.exe"..This should take you to System
Restore , where hopefully you can roll it back...Good Luck...

"Lindsay" wrote:

> Last weekend I accidently deleted a file that my computer needs to recognize
> my computer (I was cleanning up in preparation to wipe my hard drive). I can
> log on in safe mode with a generic keyboard but cannot log in using my
> password because the generic keyboard is not recognized.
>
> I can get to the set up menu but cannot change the boot order. When I log
> in in safe mode, the CD ROM does not work.
>
> When I use the FingerPrint recognition keyboard, the function keys do not
> work, but the "dots" show up in the password box when I type. The password
> is not recognized.
>
> What can I do?
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:45:09 PM

"Lindsay" <Lindsay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Last weekend I accidently deleted a file that my computer needs to
> recognize
> my computer (I was cleanning up in preparation to wipe my hard drive). I
> can
> log on in safe mode with a generic keyboard but cannot log in using my
> password because the generic keyboard is not recognized.
>
> I can get to the set up menu but cannot change the boot order. When I log
> in in safe mode, the CD ROM does not work.
>
> When I use the FingerPrint recognition keyboard, the function keys do not
> work, but the "dots" show up in the password box when I type. The
> password
> is not recognized.
>
> What can I do?

Is there some reason you need to get into Windows? If you were planning on
wiping the drive, just *boot* from the CD and start the install. Delete the
partitions and start over.
August 5, 2005 10:10:01 PM

I have the CD out and ready! In safe mode, my computer doesn't recognize the
cd rom. I also could not change the boot order so that I could boot the CD.

"D.Currie" wrote:

> "Lindsay" <Lindsay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Last weekend I accidently deleted a file that my computer needs to
> > recognize
> > my computer (I was cleanning up in preparation to wipe my hard drive). I
> > can
> > log on in safe mode with a generic keyboard but cannot log in using my
> > password because the generic keyboard is not recognized.
> >
> > I can get to the set up menu but cannot change the boot order. When I log
> > in in safe mode, the CD ROM does not work.
> >
> > When I use the FingerPrint recognition keyboard, the function keys do not
> > work, but the "dots" show up in the password box when I type. The
> > password
> > is not recognized.
> >
> > What can I do?
>
> Is there some reason you need to get into Windows? If you were planning on
> wiping the drive, just *boot* from the CD and start the install. Delete the
> partitions and start over.

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:15:02 PM

I can't type anything. The keyboard is not recognized. I can get in in safe
mode, but can't use the keyboard.

"Litecar2" wrote:

> If you had system restore turned on, You could try this..Open it up in safe
> mode w/ command prompt and type this (without quotes)
> "%systemrestore%/system32/restore/rstrui.exe"..This should take you to System
> Restore , where hopefully you can roll it back...Good Luck...
>
> "Lindsay" wrote:
>
> > Last weekend I accidently deleted a file that my computer needs to recognize
> > my computer (I was cleanning up in preparation to wipe my hard drive). I can
> > log on in safe mode with a generic keyboard but cannot log in using my
> > password because the generic keyboard is not recognized.
> >
> > I can get to the set up menu but cannot change the boot order. When I log
> > in in safe mode, the CD ROM does not work.
> >
> > When I use the FingerPrint recognition keyboard, the function keys do not
> > work, but the "dots" show up in the password box when I type. The password
> > is not recognized.
> >
> > What can I do?
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:34:39 AM

"Litecar2" wrote:

> If you had system restore turned on, You could try this..Open it up in safe
> mode w/ command prompt and type this (without quotes)
> "%systemrestore%/system32/restore/rstrui.exe"..This should take you to System
> Restore , where hopefully you can roll it back...Good Luck...
>
> "Lindsay" wrote:
>
> > Last weekend I accidently deleted a file that my computer needs to recognize
> > my computer (I was cleanning up in preparation to wipe my hard drive). I can
> > log on in safe mode with a generic keyboard but cannot log in using my
> > password because the generic keyboard is not recognized.
> >
> > I can get to the set up menu but cannot change the boot order. When I log
> > in in safe mode, the CD ROM does not work.
> >
> > When I use the FingerPrint recognition keyboard, the function keys do not
> > work, but the "dots" show up in the password box when I type. The password
> > is not recognized.
> >
> > What can I do?
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:36:27 AM

And if you dont want to restore Windows, just use a boot disk and reformat
the drive......

"Lindsay" wrote:

> Last weekend I accidently deleted a file that my computer needs to recognize
> my computer (I was cleanning up in preparation to wipe my hard drive). I can
> log on in safe mode with a generic keyboard but cannot log in using my
> password because the generic keyboard is not recognized.
>
> I can get to the set up menu but cannot change the boot order. When I log
> in in safe mode, the CD ROM does not work.
>
> When I use the FingerPrint recognition keyboard, the function keys do not
> work, but the "dots" show up in the password box when I type. The password
> is not recognized.
>
> What can I do?
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 1:26:26 AM

What happens when you try to change the boot order?

You don't want to start the process from within Windows, so what's going on
in safe mode doesn't matter.

> I have the CD out and ready! In safe mode, my computer doesn't recognize
> the
> cd rom. I also could not change the boot order so that I could boot the
> CD.
>

> "D.Currie" wrote:
>

>> "Lindsay" <Lindsay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Last weekend I accidently deleted a file that my computer needs to
>> > recognize
>> > my computer (I was cleanning up in preparation to wipe my hard drive).
>> > can
>> > log on in safe mode with a generic keyboard but cannot log in using my
>> > password because the generic keyboard is not recognized.
>> >
>> > I can get to the set up menu but cannot change the boot order. When I
>> > log
>> > in in safe mode, the CD ROM does not work.
>> >
>> > When I use the FingerPrint recognition keyboard, the function keys do
>> > not
>> > work, but the "dots" show up in the password box when I type. The
>> > password
>> > is not recognized.
>> >
>> > What can I do?
>>
>> Is there some reason you need to get into Windows? If you were planning
>> on
>> wiping the drive, just *boot* from the CD and start the install. Delete
>> the
>> partitions and start over.

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 10:02:12 PM

I finally figured out how to change the boot order by using the +,- keys on
the extended number area and have spent most of last night and today
reloading software. I have a nice clean drive and everything except my nic
card is working. I'll go now and look for some help in that area.

I don't think I'll reinstall the finger print recognition keyboard. While I
had it installed, I never could reboot because it would hang up and not
complete. It also changed the power set up and would bring up the sleep mode
option. I had the power settings to always on and could find no other
setting to change.

Well back to the task of finding out why my network adapter isn't making
itself known to my computer.

Lindsay

!