Philly Area: Have TDMA Family Plan, Need New Phone....

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 17, 2004 6:32:06 PM

My TDMA phone is on the way out - dropped one too many times, I guess.

Cingular has closed their walk-in repair facility in Trooper.

I suppose I *could* go to the K of P store and get the service moved to another
TDMA phone that I have in reserve.

But that would leave me at the mercy of the company's service people for future
problems.

Much preferred would be to purchase a GSM phone outright and have my service
moved to it. Then, if/when the phone breaks, I'm Cingular-independent for
service. It also leaves the path open for combining my cell phone and PDA
if/when the right device comes along.

The hitch is that every time I approach somebody about this, they claim that I
would have to move my entire Family plan (4 phones, 300 minutes, nominal
$45/month, actual 50-60) to what they call a "GSM Plan". This would be more
expensive...like $80-90 per month instead of sixty.

However I've talked to two people who have the exact same plan and have managed
to get a GSM phone on it. One of them is an engineer for the company that
makes those little identity cards that go into the phones - so I'm 97% sure
there's no technical terminology communication gap there: he really did get a
GSM phone on his old Family Plan account that has TDMA for the rest of the
phones on it.

He said you just have to be really insistant.
I think he got lucky.

Before I go off and start trying to be "insistant", I'd like to get some of the
Cingular terminology straight and get some opinions on how to go about this.

Anybody know anything?
--
PeteCresswell
July 18, 2004 10:02:18 PM

RE/
>$45/month, actual 50-60)...

I think I've discovered where I'm wrong. Turns out there are a number of
$45/month TDMA family plans and mine is one of the really, *really* defunct
ones.

Also, it sounds like a given account is linked to a given tower system - as
opposed to the link being phone-specific. i.e. an account cannot have one
phone on the TDMA system and another on the GSM system.

--
PeteCresswell
!