3rd party Ink

Hi!
The age old discussion.
I have a Canon i850. I have tried Atlantic cartridges as well as their
bulk ink, also the same with MIS ink.
The problem is that when printing color (Photos) black comes out as dark
blue or purple, gray comes out as lighter blue.If the black in the photo is
a solid black, it may look pretty good, but as the black in the photo fades
a little it starts to print towards blue.
If any of you out there have a Canon i850, using a third party ink, print
out a "nozzle check" sample and look at the L & M blocks. Are they black or
a dark blue or purple? Next, print out a black & white document as a color
document. (it would be better if the black & white document had some gray in
it.) Does it print out as black or dark blue? If these tests shows black as
black, I would like to know the brand of ink you are using.
If you have a Canon i850 using Canon ink, I would like to hear the
results you get using these tests.
I called tech support in both cases and they both indicated that I have
been the only one that ever called with this problem. I just can't believe
that.
I'm thinking of sending the MIS ink back as I did the Atlantic.
Or am I just being too picky?
Thanks for listening,
Don

The black ink is pigmented and is only used for text. For photos, black is a
composite of the other three inks. This is why you see a color shift as one
of the colors starts to fade. This problem has been addressed with the i860
since it has two black tanks. One is pigmented - the same tank as in the
i850 and the other black is dye based as with the other Canon photo
printers. Even on the photo printers, it's a little difficult to obtain a
true b/w print. I don't have an i850 so I can't give you any actual results.
The paper and paper settings you are using may have some effect as well.
Which brands have you tried?
--
Ron Cohen

"Don Davis" <davisd@highstream.net> wrote in message
> Hi!
> The age old discussion.
> I have a Canon i850. I have tried Atlantic cartridges as well as their
> bulk ink, also the same with MIS ink.
> The problem is that when printing color (Photos) black comes out as
dark
> blue or purple, gray comes out as lighter blue.If the black in the photo
is
> a solid black, it may look pretty good, but as the black in the photo
fades
> a little it starts to print towards blue.
> If any of you out there have a Canon i850, using a third party ink,
print
> out a "nozzle check" sample and look at the L & M blocks. Are they black
or
> a dark blue or purple? Next, print out a black & white document as a color
> document. (it would be better if the black & white document had some gray
in
> it.) Does it print out as black or dark blue? If these tests shows black
as
> black, I would like to know the brand of ink you are using.
> If you have a Canon i850 using Canon ink, I would like to hear the
> results you get using these tests.
> I called tech support in both cases and they both indicated that I have
> been the only one that ever called with this problem. I just can't believe
> that.
> I'm thinking of sending the MIS ink back as I did the Atlantic.
> Or am I just being too picky?
> Thanks for listening,
> Don

---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:22:49 -0400, "Don Davis"
<davisd@highstream.net> wrote:

>Hi!
> The age old discussion.
> I have a Canon i850. I have tried Atlantic cartridges as well as their
>bulk ink, also the same with MIS ink.
> The problem is that when printing color (Photos) black comes out as dark
>blue or purple, gray comes out as lighter blue.If the black in the photo is
>a solid black, it may look pretty good, but as the black in the photo fades
>a little it starts to print towards blue.
> If any of you out there have a Canon i850, using a third party ink, print
>out a "nozzle check" sample and look at the L & M blocks. Are they black or
>a dark blue or purple? Next, print out a black & white document as a color
>document. (it would be better if the black & white document had some gray in
>it.) Does it print out as black or dark blue? If these tests shows black as
>black, I would like to know the brand of ink you are using.
> If you have a Canon i850 using Canon ink, I would like to hear the
>results you get using these tests.
> I called tech support in both cases and they both indicated that I have
>been the only one that ever called with this problem. I just can't believe
>that.
> I'm thinking of sending the MIS ink back as I did the Atlantic.
> Or am I just being too picky?
> Thanks for listening,
> Don

Don,
The problem you are having sounds like the "Cartridge problem" that I
experienced from atlantic inkjet as well.. It seems they do not use
Formulabls ink in their cartridges when I tried them not long ago.

The hue was way off especially with the magenta.

Since then I gave up using cartridges and I use only bulk inks. My
favorite vendor is alotofthings.com. If you insist on using
cartridges instead of bulk inks, you may want to email joe just to be
sure that FORMULABS ink is used in their cartridges for your model.

The last time I checked with him , they were BUT double check to be
sure. Otherwise, Grab some bulk ink and your problems will go away.

and NO you are not too picky.. Trust me, none of your photos will
print as they should...

bill

Ron Cohen wrote:

>The black ink is pigmented and is only used for text. For photos, black is a
>composite of the other three inks.

Not exactly. The black ink is used for 80% or higher in photos on the
Canon i850.

>The paper and paper settings you are using may have some effect as well.
>Which brands have you tried?

This is my guess too...the wrong paper can have a strong impact on
colours and lightfastness. I have some prints that are well over a year
old and no fading, colour shift, or anything. They look the same as the
day they were printed.

>> If any of you out there have a Canon i850, using a third party ink,
>> print out a "nozzle check" sample and look at the L & M blocks. Are they
>> black or a dark blue or purple?

I have an i850 using AtlanticInkjet bulk ink, and black comes out black.
I suggest you use different photo paper. I've had good results using
Office Depot paper.

TRENDING THREADS