Max. CPU for ECS K7VZA ?

I have been using an AMD Duron 700mHz together with a Socket A, ECS
K7VZA MB for the past three years.If I wanted to bump up the CPU to the
maximum this MB could take what would I buy? I've seen an Athlon (Tbird)
1.2GHZ, 256K, (200 MHz FSB) OEM on Pricewatch for $57.00 Av

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:00:29 +0000, Avagodro wrote:

> I have been using an AMD Duron 700mHz together with a Socket A, ECS
> K7VZA MB for the past three years.If I wanted to bump up the CPU to the
> maximum this MB could take what would I buy? I've seen an Athlon (Tbird)
> 1.2GHZ, 256K, (200 MHz FSB) OEM on Pricewatch for $57.00 Av

Looks like they made 2 models of this board. One has a KT133 chipset with
a max FSB of 112Mhz, and then one has a KT133A chipset which will do
about 145Mhz. but sticking to the base max fsb of 100 and 133MHz it looks
like this

KT133; 24x100= 2400MHz
KT133A; 24x133 = 3200MHz (there are no socket A cpu's that will run this
fast, and never will be)

This board has no multiplier or vcore control from what I've read, so
you'll have to use the pinmod (or other ways) to set them. Note that any
cpu you use will need to be unlocked to achieve max performance.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

The board below has the older KT133 chipset, and as you can see it does
pretty good. That a 2100+ overclocked cpu btw. Read the link below.

As to which cpu to use, well the choice is many depending on what you
want. Any unlocked Tbred B core would be good for over 2000MHz. An
unlocked Barton core would give you about the same speed with more cache.
Cheapest, 1700+ Tbred B core, 2500+Barton. Note that these must be
unlocked models. I've seen Tbred B cores on ebay for under $20 bid.
Anywhere under $40 would be a good deal.

BTW, don't pay any attention to the supported cpu list from the
manufacturers. Abit list the max cpu for the baord below as an Athlon
1400B.:)