keith

I have had to purchase a new motherboard for my PC. I bought an Epox
VIA P4M266A for Intel Socket 478 processor.

The new board solved my initial problem that the computer would not even
power up. However Windows XP boots for about 20 seconds the restarts
the machine. This happens in both normal boot or Safe mode. I have
tried other hard drives with XP on them and they all do exactly the same
thing, but if I connect a Windows 98 drive the system boots without a hitch.

Can anybody point me in the right direction of what might be wrong??

Thanks for any help

Keith

Keith <keith@dolby-ltd.co.uk> wrote:

>I have had to purchase a new motherboard for my PC. I bought an Epox
>VIA P4M266A for Intel Socket 478 processor.
>
>The new board solved my initial problem that the computer would not even
>power up. However Windows XP boots for about 20 seconds the restarts
>the machine. This happens in both normal boot or Safe mode. I have
>tried other hard drives with XP on them and they all do exactly the same
>thing, but if I connect a Windows 98 drive the system boots without a hitch.
>
>Can anybody point me in the right direction of what might be wrong??

You need to do a Repair Install (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) of your
Windows XP. See http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

gee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

Xp needs to do a repair / recovery setup to load all the new driver and
setting for the new motherboard.

--

Gee

Smile Jesus Loves You

"Keith" <keith@dolby-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have had to purchase a new motherboard for my PC. I bought an Epox
> VIA P4M266A for Intel Socket 478 processor.
>
> The new board solved my initial problem that the computer would not even
> power up. However Windows XP boots for about 20 seconds the restarts
> the machine. This happens in both normal boot or Safe mode. I have
> tried other hard drives with XP on them and they all do exactly the same
> thing, but if I connect a Windows 98 drive the system boots without a
hitch.

> Can anybody point me in the right direction of what might be wrong??
>

> Thanks for any help
>
> Keith

This is because of the Windows Product Activation. Your original XP
installation was actviated based on your old motherboard. Since you
replaced it, it does not match and XP is confused. Doing repair reinstall
should fix this.

"Gee" <gordongradwell@icon.co.za> wrote in message
> Xp needs to do a repair / recovery setup to load all the new driver and
> setting for the new motherboard.
>
> --
>
> Gee
>
> Smile Jesus Loves You
>

> "Keith" <keith@dolby-ltd.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I have had to purchase a new motherboard for my PC. I bought an Epox
>> VIA P4M266A for Intel Socket 478 processor.
>>
>> The new board solved my initial problem that the computer would not even
>> power up. However Windows XP boots for about 20 seconds the restarts
>> the machine. This happens in both normal boot or Safe mode. I have
>> tried other hard drives with XP on them and they all do exactly the same
>> thing, but if I connect a Windows 98 drive the system boots without a
> hitch.
>>
>> Can anybody point me in the right direction of what might be wrong??
>>

>> Thanks for any help
>>
>> Keith

dl

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341