Upgrade

I'm going from a 1.6ghz duron to a 3200 Athlon XP 400mhz FSB will I notice a
huge difference?

Thanks,
Steve
11 answers Last reply
More about upgrade

    "Steve" <bond_youknowtherest_uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm going from a 1.6ghz duron to a 3200 Athlon XP 400mhz FSB will I notice
    > huge difference?

    Depends.....in games and apps, yes you'll notice a big difference. With
    WinXP, I doubt you'll even notice the upgrade. This OS seems capable of
    soaking up every CPU cycle you throw at it without being demonstrably
    faster. I went from a PIII 1 Ghz SDRAM system to a Barton 3200 1Gig dual
    channel DDR setup. Games, apps were hugely faster. WinXP....no real
    noticeable difference in speed.

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:16:11 +0100, Steve wrote:

    > I'm going from a 1.6ghz duron to a 3200 Athlon XP 400mhz FSB will I notice a
    > huge difference?

    If the 1.6 is a newer core, then just up the FSB to 166 from the default
    133 and you'll then have close to the 3200+ speed at no cost. Also raise
    vcore to at least 1.65v.

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:16:11 +0100, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> I'm going from a 1.6ghz duron to a 3200 Athlon XP 400mhz FSB will I
    >> notice a huge difference?
    >>
    > If the 1.6 is a newer core, then just up the FSB to 166 from the
    > default 133 and you'll then have close to the 3200+ speed at no cost.
    > Also raise vcore to at least 1.65v.

    Rubbish, a Duron running at 2ghz isn't going to come close to out performing an
    Athlon XP 3200+, just the same as your 2.4ghz TBred aint gunna come close to the
    3200 despite running at a higher clock speed.

    Steve

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 05:53:04 +0100, Steve wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:16:11 +0100, Steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm going from a 1.6ghz duron to a 3200 Athlon XP 400mhz FSB will I
    >>> notice a huge difference?
    >>>
    >> If the 1.6 is a newer core, then just up the FSB to 166 from the
    >> default 133 and you'll then have close to the 3200+ speed at no cost.
    >> Also raise vcore to at least 1.65v.
    >
    > Rubbish, a Duron running at 2ghz isn't going to come close to out
    > performing an Athlon XP 3200+, just the same as your 2.4ghz TBred aint
    > gunna come close to the 3200 despite running at a higher clock speed.

    I didn't say anything about outperforming the 3200+ now did I? And either
    would come close to the performance of the 3200+. And before you get your
    panties in a bunch, I'll define close as 80% of the speed. That's close in
    my book, and it'll probably come closer to 90%, but I sure as hell don't
    care enough to run test on it. But at 1600MHz, it's not close. Also, I
    only used those numbers as examples of what could be done. You may get it
    to run at 12x220 for 2640MHz. I think it might outperform a 3200+ at stock
    speeds then. But I really don't care if it does one way or the other. Do
    what you want. I was just offering advice. Take it or leave it. No sweat
    off my balls.

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:16:11 +0100, Steve wrote:

    > I'm going from a 1.6ghz duron to a 3200 Athlon XP 400mhz FSB will I notice a
    > huge difference?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    Why don't you try to overclock your CPU? I'm running 1600+ at allmost
    3000+. At last , if you don't plan running it overclocked , it will give
    you chance to feel the difference. And , yes it is HUGE difference , I 'm
    not geting it back at 1600+! :o)
    --

    7/22/2004 12:49:37 PM

    Steve wrote:
    > I'm going from a 1.6ghz duron to a 3200 Athlon XP 400mhz FSB will I
    > notice a huge difference?

    In many apps and games, yes, you will. Since a multiplier locked XP 2500+ or
    2600+ Barton core can easily reach 3200+ speeds, why not save $90 and
    overclock one of those ? Put the money you've saved toward more RAM, a DVD
    burner, or an evening of pub crawling.

    S.Heenan wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >> I'm going from a 1.6ghz duron to a 3200 Athlon XP 400mhz FSB will I
    >> notice a huge difference?
    >
    > In many apps and games, yes, you will. Since a multiplier locked XP
    > 2500+ or 2600+ Barton core can easily reach 3200+ speeds, why not
    > save $90 and overclock one of those ? Put the money you've saved
    > toward more RAM, a DVD burner, or an evening of pub crawling.

    Because I'm not into overclocking, it shortens the life of everything, you spend
    a fortune on fans and all sorts of paraphanelia and it's never as stable as a
    processor that's not overclocked.

    Steve
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:35:01 +0100, Steve wrote:

    > S.Heenan wrote:
    >> Steve wrote:
    >>> I'm going from a 1.6ghz duron to a 3200 Athlon XP 400mhz FSB will I
    >>> notice a huge difference?
    >>
    >> In many apps and games, yes, you will. Since a multiplier locked XP
    >> 2500+ or 2600+ Barton core can easily reach 3200+ speeds, why not save
    >> $90 and overclock one of those ? Put the money you've saved toward more
    >> RAM, a DVD burner, or an evening of pub crawling.
    >
    > Because I'm not into overclocking, it shortens the life of everything,
    > you spend a fortune on fans and all sorts of paraphanelia and it's never
    > as stable as a processor that's not overclocked.

    Before you get down so much on overclocking, you need to understand that
    you aren't really overclocking the cpu, just overclocking the default
    speed. IOW's, there's no difference between a 2500+ and a 3200+ cpu other
    than the default values of it, the speed at which it was tested, and the
    part number stamped on the cpu. The cpu's have the same core, a Barton.
    They are all made from the same die. The default FSB setting is 166MHz for
    the 2500+ and 200 MHz for the 3200+. The rest of the defaults are the
    same.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Steve wrote:
    > S.Heenan wrote:
    >> Steve wrote:
    >>> I'm going from a 1.6ghz duron to a 3200 Athlon XP 400mhz FSB will I
    >>> notice a huge difference?
    >>
    >> In many apps and games, yes, you will. Since a multiplier locked XP
    >> 2500+ or 2600+ Barton core can easily reach 3200+ speeds, why not
    >> save $90 and overclock one of those ? Put the money you've saved
    >> toward more RAM, a DVD burner, or an evening of pub crawling.
    >
    > Because I'm not into overclocking, it shortens the life of
    > everything, you spend a fortune on fans and all sorts of paraphanelia
    > and it's never as stable as a processor that's not overclocked.

    I use two quiet 80mm fans in my case. With the stock (60mm fan) AMD
    heatsink, my overclocked 2500+ only hits 52°C when running a very CPU
    intensive app. Other than changing the FSB to 200MHz and increasing stock
    Vcore by 25mV, I've made no changes nor spent a dime. The AGP and PCI buses
    remain at 66 and 33MHz.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:35:01 +0100, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> S.Heenan wrote:
    >>>
    >>> In many apps and games, yes, you will. Since a multiplier locked XP
    >>> 2500+ or 2600+ Barton core can easily reach 3200+ speeds, why not
    >>> save $90 and overclock one of those ? Put the money you've saved
    >>> toward more RAM, a DVD burner, or an evening of pub crawling.
    >>
    >> Because I'm not into overclocking, it shortens the life of
    >> everything, you spend a fortune on fans and all sorts of
    >> paraphanelia and it's never as stable as a processor that's not
    >> overclocked.
    >>
    > Before you get down so much on overclocking, you need to understand
    > that you aren't really overclocking the cpu, just overclocking the
    > default speed. IOW's, there's no difference between a 2500+ and a
    > 3200+ cpu other than the default values of it, the speed at which it
    > was tested, and the part number stamped on the cpu. The cpu's have
    > the same core, a Barton. They are all made from the same die. The
    > default FSB setting is 166MHz for the 2500+ and 200 MHz for the
    > 3200+. The rest of the defaults are the same.

    Ah yes but isn't it true that the ones that don't test correctly at the higher
    speed are marked at a lower speed.

    Steve
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:38:17 +0100, Steve wrote:

    > Ah yes but isn't it true that the ones that don't test correctly at the higher
    > speed are marked at a lower speed.

    No. If you really want to stay very very safe, then just don't raise
    vcore. Leave it at 1.65v and then clock it up as high as it go and still
    be stable. The added MHz won't affect temps that much at all. It's Raising
    vcore that is the major cause of excessive heat. Although I'd consider
    1.75v very safe. Still well below the max rating.

AMD Overclocking Hardware Windows XP