Overclocking problems

gil-galad

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte GA 7VT-880 MoBo with a Barton 2500+ CPU.

I tried taking the FSB to 185 MhZ but at that speed the system doesn't boot.
The highest I can reach is 184 MhZ.

My Ram is PC3200 so it should work at frequencies up to 400 mhz. Can anyone
help me?

Thanks

"Gil-galad" <edomonet@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Gigabyte GA 7VT-880 MoBo with a Barton 2500+ CPU.
>
> I tried taking the FSB to 185 MhZ but at that speed the system doesn't
boot.
> The highest I can reach is 184 MhZ.
>
> My Ram is PC3200 so it should work at frequencies up to 400 mhz. Can
anyone
> help me?

the ram is DDR so it only runs at 200 Mhz not 400 ... apart from that minor
point just because your ram can run at 200Mhz it doesn't mean that your CPU
can.

It sounds like you've found the limit of what FSB your CPU can handle ...
sometimes increasing the voltage to the CPU can help when overclocking but
I'm no expert on it :)

Mal

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:29:02 +0000, Gil-galad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Gigabyte GA 7VT-880 MoBo with a Barton 2500+ CPU.
>
> I tried taking the FSB to 185 MhZ but at that speed the system doesn't boot.
> The highest I can reach is 184 MhZ.
>
> My Ram is PC3200 so it should work at frequencies up to 400 mhz. Can anyone
> help me?

Did you lock the PCI bus? Is the ram default speed 166MHz? Did you try the
FSB at 200MHz with raised vcore? Going to a setting in between the normal
33MHz boundaries can affect the ram bus too. So if your ram bus was
already set to 200MHz (not 400), then raising the FSB will also raise the
ram bus to 218MHz. Not having that board, it's hard to guess though. Best
guesses; either PCI not or not enough vcore.

gil-galad

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

> Did you lock the PCI bus?

On my board it is not possible to lock the PCI bus... by rising the CPU FSB
to 180 the system sets automatically AGP to 72 and PCI to 36... what does
this mean?

> Is the ram default speed 166MHz? Did you try the FSB at 200MHz with raised
vcore?

Isn't it dangerous to raise the VCore??

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:59:11 +0000, Gil-galad wrote:

>> Did you lock the PCI bus?
>
> On my board it is not possible to lock the PCI bus...

Are you sure? Doesn't your board have the KT880 chipset? I'm almost
positive this new chipset has a PCI lock. Check the bios/manual.

> by rising the CPU FSB to 180 the system sets automatically AGP to 72 and
> PCI to 36... what does this mean?

Normal speed of the PCI/AGP buses are 33/66MHz. It means you have a
problem if you can't lock the pci bus. Set the FSB to 200 and they should
come back to normal.

>> Is the ram default speed 166MHz? Did you try the FSB at 200MHz with
>> raised
> vcore?
>
> Isn't it dangerous to raise the VCore??

Not unless you go crazy with it, which most boards won't let you do. 1.75v
is very safe with decent cooling. Might need better cooling for 1.85v,
although I ran the one below at 1.85v with an old aluminum cooler, but I
had to get to the OS fast and turn on Lvcool or it would overheat and
crash.:)

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:29:02 GMT, Gil-galad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Gigabyte GA 7VT-880 MoBo with a Barton 2500+ CPU.
>
> I tried taking the FSB to 185 MhZ but at that speed the system doesn't boot.
> The highest I can reach is 184 MhZ.
>
> My Ram is PC3200 so it should work at frequencies up to 400 mhz. Can anyone
> help me?
>
> Thanks

How are you cooling your CPU? If you can run it at 184 FSB , what
teperatures are you geting? If you have poor cooling , go get better
cooler. If you have brand name cooler , and temps are low , maybe you hited
the top.

And most obvious thing , did you raised VCore? What are memory settings?
Must fine tune them!! Try 7-2-2-3 , and also 6-2-2-2.5 (more demanding...)
Also raise voltage of ram.
--

7/23/2004 10:32:47 AM