just a few days ago i fuond out that my system can work in several computers.
for exampe i take out hdd of my computer and put it into new one putting my
hdd as a master. windows starts perfectly. as i know others can't do the same
but i can :p is it something wrong?

the motherbords i tried were abit for amd, dfi for pentium4, biostar for
pentium. can they be similar?

That works only because the two motherboards are very similar

Justys_jnv wrote:

> just a few days ago i fuond out that my system can work in several computers.
> for exampe i take out hdd of my computer and put it into new one putting my
> hdd as a master. windows starts perfectly. as i know others can't do the same
> but i can :p is it something wrong?

i don't think that amd and pentium are similar

"Bob I" wrote:

> That works only because the two motherboards are very similar
>
> Justys_jnv wrote:
>
> > just a few days ago i fuond out that my system can work in several computers.
> > for exampe i take out hdd of my computer and put it into new one putting my
> > hdd as a master. windows starts perfectly. as i know others can't do the same
> > but i can :p is it something wrong?

Yes! You have either:

1) An OEM version of XP which you tried on a 100% identical PC. XP Product
Activation matches on the second PC.

2) A "Volume License" version of XP that does not care about Product
Activation

3) A "cracked" version of XP which is illegal.

4) A developer's version that does not do any Product Activation check (is
this possible????)

> the motherbords i tried were abit for amd, dfi for pentium4, biostar for
> pentium. can they be similar?

I think one of the major contributors to failure is the IDE controller, and
they could all have the same or similar. Or it might be something else, but
in the cases where it has worked for me, the IDE controller has been the
same. Maybe there was something else that I wasn't paying attention to,
though.

Hi,

Yves Leclerc wrote:
> Yes! You have either:

I think you missed one other possibility. Perhaps he doesn't have Windows
XP at all. :)

It's a reasonable assumption (given this is a Windows XP newsgroup), but
nowhere has he been more specific about his OS than to say it's "Windows".
That could very well mean 9x/ME -- which *is* a lot less finicky about
hardware changes (not to mention no WPA)...

--
Chris Priede (priede@panix.com)

Nothing is wrong neither with you nor with others, just relax.