Athlon 64 2.8 vs. Athlon XP 3.2

enj483

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

I am upgrading.

For a difference of about $125, I can purchase a Athlon64 2.8 instead of the
AthlonXP 2.4 mobile (overclocked to XP 3.2 speeds - 11x200.)

If I go Athlon64 - I'd do it with the MSI NEO platnum(Nforce3-250). If I go
XP2.4, I'll go Abit NF7-S.

I would not overclock the Athlon64.

Which system will be faster for gaming - Far Cry, Doom3, etc?

Pros/Cons of one vs. another?

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:26:49 -0700, ENJ483 wrote:

> I am upgrading.
>
> For a difference of about $125, I can purchase a Athlon64 2.8 instead of the
> AthlonXP 2.4 mobile (overclocked to XP 3.2 speeds - 11x200.)
>
> If I go Athlon64 - I'd do it with the MSI NEO platnum(Nforce3-250). If I go
> XP2.4, I'll go Abit NF7-S.
>
> I would not overclock the Athlon64.
>
> Which system will be faster for gaming - Far Cry, Doom3, etc?

The athlon 64 by a wide margin.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2038&p=1

> Pros/Cons of one vs. another?

You're at the top of line with socket A. You're at the bottom of the line
with socket 754, and can go up quite a bit.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

ENJ483 wrote:
> I am upgrading.
>
> For a difference of about $125, I can purchase a Athlon64 2.8 instead
> of the AthlonXP 2.4 mobile (overclocked to XP 3.2 speeds - 11x200.)
>
> If I go Athlon64 - I'd do it with the MSI NEO platnum(Nforce3-250).
> If I go XP2.4, I'll go Abit NF7-S.
>
> I would not overclock the Athlon64.
>
> Which system will be faster for gaming - Far Cry, Doom3, etc?
>
> Pros/Cons of one vs. another?

If you can afford it go for the Athlon64 for sure.

Geoff wrote:
> Ben Pope wrote:
>> Geoff wrote:
>>> 754 is the new duron
>>> i want the full dual channel stuff please :)
>>
>> I think you're getting ahead of yourself.
>>
>> Ben
>
> lol
> not really, it's called planning ahead, i'm not in any major hurry to
> upgrade

Then it sounds like you don't need the extra speed that 939 can offer...

Ben

geoff

Ben Pope wrote:
> Geoff wrote:
>> Ben Pope wrote:
>>>
>>> I think you're getting ahead of yourself.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> lol
>> not really, it's called planning ahead, i'm not in any major hurry to
>> upgrade
>
> Then it sounds like you don't need the extra speed that 939 can
> offer...
>
> Ben

currently nah, my 2.2ghz barton will last me until s939 comes down to a sane
price
i always get asked what do buy and when, my current has been buy a half
decent system and wait for s939 stuff to become mainstream (not
surprisingly)

intel havn't got anything worth buying until they do prescots with 64bit,
might be worth going back to intel (i doubt it though), will see when the
time comes

jk

For the best performance in Doom 3, you want an Athlon 64.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

Other games will also be much better on the Athlon 64.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=8

Go for an Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+. The 3000+ is very close in price
to the 2800+, and the 3200+ is only around $50 more than the 3000+.