Display Adapter not working!

Recently, I installed the latest NVIDIA display drivers. However, I didn't
uninstall my previous drivers, and when i remembered that i have to, i
did...but after i had installed the latest drivers. And that's when the
problem seemed to start. I looked on the Add/Remove programs list to see if
the latest drivers were there, but there was nothing there. I couldn't find
them on the list anywhere. So I tried reinstalling them, and when they were
being installed, i got a message saying: "Windows could not load the
installer for display. Contact your hardware vendor for assitsance." I didn't
understand it, and to try to end the problem quickly, I tried to rollback the
driver using device manager. When in device manager, i noticed an exclamation
point next to the display adapter, which is an NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420 with
AGP8X. So i knew there was a problem. When examining the adapter, i read
under the general tab "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its
configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code
19)" So, following instructions i obtained from this site, i tried to
uninstall the driver and install a new one. However, this is what i am stuck
on...It doesn't let me uninstall them. It says, "Windows failed to unninstall
this device. The device may be required to reboot the computer." So i tried
to do it in safe mode, and i still couldn't uninstall them. So that's where i
need help. I hope you have a solution.

Head over to www.guru3d.com and locate/download Driver Cleaner (or NRIP).
After uninstalling the nVidia drivers (in Add/Remove Programs) do not reboot
when told. Run the cleaner you downloaded, and installed. This should
remove the "last" traces of the nVidia drivers and then reboot. Let XP use
the "default" drivers and then install the latest drivers. If you have more
problems, twww.guru3d.com has "forums" for video card / driver problems.

"Dracone8" <Dracone8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently, I installed the latest NVIDIA display drivers. However, I didn't
> uninstall my previous drivers, and when i remembered that i have to, i
> did...but after i had installed the latest drivers. And that's when the
> problem seemed to start. I looked on the Add/Remove programs list to see
> if
> the latest drivers were there, but there was nothing there. I couldn't
> find
> them on the list anywhere. So I tried reinstalling them, and when they
> were
> being installed, i got a message saying: "Windows could not load the
> installer for display. Contact your hardware vendor for assitsance." I
> didn't
> understand it, and to try to end the problem quickly, I tried to rollback
> the
> driver using device manager. When in device manager, i noticed an
> exclamation
> point next to the display adapter, which is an NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420
> with
> AGP8X. So i knew there was a problem. When examining the adapter, i read
> under the general tab "Windows cannot start this hardware device because
> its
> configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.
> (Code
> 19)" So, following instructions i obtained from this site, i tried to
> uninstall the driver and install a new one. However, this is what i am
> stuck
> on...It doesn't let me uninstall them. It says, "Windows failed to
> unninstall
> this device. The device may be required to reboot the computer." So i
> tried
> to do it in safe mode, and i still couldn't uninstall them. So that's
> where i
> need help. I hope you have a solution.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Was there a good reason to install the latest drivers. If not other than
wanting the latest then try to install the previous version if the method
described by Yves doesn't work.
Neil
"Dracone8" <Dracone8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently, I installed the latest NVIDIA display drivers. However, I didn't
> uninstall my previous drivers, and when i remembered that i have to, i
> did...but after i had installed the latest drivers. And that's when the
> problem seemed to start. I looked on the Add/Remove programs list to see
> if
> the latest drivers were there, but there was nothing there. I couldn't
> find
> them on the list anywhere. So I tried reinstalling them, and when they
> were
> being installed, i got a message saying: "Windows could not load the
> installer for display. Contact your hardware vendor for assitsance." I
> didn't
> understand it, and to try to end the problem quickly, I tried to rollback
> the
> driver using device manager. When in device manager, i noticed an
> exclamation
> point next to the display adapter, which is an NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420
> with
> AGP8X. So i knew there was a problem. When examining the adapter, i read
> under the general tab "Windows cannot start this hardware device because
> its
> configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.
> (Code
> 19)" So, following instructions i obtained from this site, i tried to
> uninstall the driver and install a new one. However, this is what i am
> stuck
> on...It doesn't let me uninstall them. It says, "Windows failed to
> unninstall
> this device. The device may be required to reboot the computer." So i
> tried
> to do it in safe mode, and i still couldn't uninstall them. So that's
> where i
> need help. I hope you have a solution.

You see, there's a problem about uninstalling the drivers. I can't, because
they don't appear on the Add/Remove hardware list. However, they do appear on
device manager, but the computer won't allow me to uninstall them via device
manager. I uninstalled them using Add/Remove program list before. What i
think might be going on is that the drivers are installed, but not operating
properly or at all. One noticeable change is that when i scroll or move a
window, it sort...well...lags along.
Furthermore, when try to install the drivers again over the previous ones,
it never works. Always, in the middle of the installation, i get a message
saying: "Windows could not load the installer for display. Contact your
hardware vendor for assistance." I have also tried rolling back to my
previous drivers, but it cannot detect them, so i'm assuming they somehow got
deleted. I think that what needs to be fixed is whatever is causing that
message to pop up. I have tried driver cleaner before and that did not work.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Head over to www.guru3d.com and locate/download Driver Cleaner (or NRIP).
> After uninstalling the nVidia drivers (in Add/Remove Programs) do not reboot
> when told. Run the cleaner you downloaded, and installed. This should
> remove the "last" traces of the nVidia drivers and then reboot. Let XP use
> the "default" drivers and then install the latest drivers. If you have more
> problems, twww.guru3d.com has "forums" for video card / driver problems.
>

> "Dracone8" <Dracone8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recently, I installed the latest NVIDIA display drivers. However, I didn't
> > uninstall my previous drivers, and when i remembered that i have to, i
> > did...but after i had installed the latest drivers. And that's when the
> > problem seemed to start. I looked on the Add/Remove programs list to see
> > if
> > the latest drivers were there, but there was nothing there. I couldn't
> > find
> > them on the list anywhere. So I tried reinstalling them, and when they
> > were
> > being installed, i got a message saying: "Windows could not load the
> > installer for display. Contact your hardware vendor for assitsance." I
> > didn't
> > understand it, and to try to end the problem quickly, I tried to rollback
> > the
> > driver using device manager. When in device manager, i noticed an
> > exclamation
> > point next to the display adapter, which is an NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420
> > with
> > AGP8X. So i knew there was a problem. When examining the adapter, i read
> > under the general tab "Windows cannot start this hardware device because
> > its
> > configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.
> > (Code
> > 19)" So, following instructions i obtained from this site, i tried to
> > uninstall the driver and install a new one. However, this is what i am
> > stuck
> > on...It doesn't let me uninstall them. It says, "Windows failed to
> > unninstall
> > this device. The device may be required to reboot the computer." So i
> > tried
> > to do it in safe mode, and i still couldn't uninstall them. So that's
> > where i
> > need help. I hope you have a solution.

Andrew

Why not just delete the device from the Hardware Manager and then reboot.
When Windows rediscovers the hardware it will request the driver
installation files. If you have these already extracted to a folder then
point Windows in the right direction otherwise if you have the exe file, as
typically downloaded from Nvidias website, simply click cancel and then run
the driver exe.

Andy

Andy
"neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> Was there a good reason to install the latest drivers. If not other than
> wanting the latest then try to install the previous version if the method
> described by Yves doesn't work.
> Neil
> "Dracone8" <Dracone8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Recently, I installed the latest NVIDIA display drivers. However, I
>> didn't
>> uninstall my previous drivers, and when i remembered that i have to, i
>> did...but after i had installed the latest drivers. And that's when the
>> problem seemed to start. I looked on the Add/Remove programs list to see
>> if
>> the latest drivers were there, but there was nothing there. I couldn't
>> find
>> them on the list anywhere. So I tried reinstalling them, and when they
>> were
>> being installed, i got a message saying: "Windows could not load the
>> installer for display. Contact your hardware vendor for assitsance." I
>> didn't
>> understand it, and to try to end the problem quickly, I tried to rollback
>> the
>> driver using device manager. When in device manager, i noticed an
>> exclamation
>> point next to the display adapter, which is an NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420
>> with
>> AGP8X. So i knew there was a problem. When examining the adapter, i read
>> under the general tab "Windows cannot start this hardware device because
>> its
>> configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.
>> (Code
>> 19)" So, following instructions i obtained from this site, i tried to
>> uninstall the driver and install a new one. However, this is what i am
>> stuck
>> on...It doesn't let me uninstall them. It says, "Windows failed to
>> unninstall
>> this device. The device may be required to reboot the computer." So i
>> tried
>> to do it in safe mode, and i still couldn't uninstall them. So that's
>> where i
>> need help. I hope you have a solution.

I would do that, but whenever i try to uninstall it via device manager, it
says "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up
the computer." Also, if i try to remove it through Add/Remove programs, it's
not on the list. By the way, could you give me the link to a site with older
NVIDIA drivers? The Nvidia site itself doesn't seem to have any older
drivers. I'd appreciate that.

"Andrew" wrote:

> Why not just delete the device from the Hardware Manager and then reboot.
> When Windows rediscovers the hardware it will request the driver
> installation files. If you have these already extracted to a folder then
> point Windows in the right direction otherwise if you have the exe file, as
> typically downloaded from Nvidias website, simply click cancel and then run
> the driver exe.
>
> Andy
>
> Andy
> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> > Was there a good reason to install the latest drivers. If not other than
> > wanting the latest then try to install the previous version if the method
> > described by Yves doesn't work.
> > Neil
> > "Dracone8" <Dracone8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Recently, I installed the latest NVIDIA display drivers. However, I
> >> didn't
> >> uninstall my previous drivers, and when i remembered that i have to, i
> >> did...but after i had installed the latest drivers. And that's when the
> >> problem seemed to start. I looked on the Add/Remove programs list to see
> >> if
> >> the latest drivers were there, but there was nothing there. I couldn't
> >> find
> >> them on the list anywhere. So I tried reinstalling them, and when they
> >> were
> >> being installed, i got a message saying: "Windows could not load the
> >> installer for display. Contact your hardware vendor for assitsance." I
> >> didn't
> >> understand it, and to try to end the problem quickly, I tried to rollback
> >> the
> >> driver using device manager. When in device manager, i noticed an
> >> exclamation
> >> point next to the display adapter, which is an NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420
> >> with
> >> AGP8X. So i knew there was a problem. When examining the adapter, i read
> >> under the general tab "Windows cannot start this hardware device because
> >> its
> >> configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.
> >> (Code
> >> 19)" So, following instructions i obtained from this site, i tried to
> >> uninstall the driver and install a new one. However, this is what i am
> >> stuck
> >> on...It doesn't let me uninstall them. It says, "Windows failed to
> >> unninstall
> >> this device. The device may be required to reboot the computer." So i
> >> tried
> >> to do it in safe mode, and i still couldn't uninstall them. So that's
> >> where i
> >> need help. I hope you have a solution.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try this http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html it's the NVIDIA
archive.

Neil

>I would do that, but whenever i try to uninstall it via device manager, it
> says "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot
> up
> the computer." Also, if i try to remove it through Add/Remove programs,
> it's
> not on the list. By the way, could you give me the link to a site with
> older
> NVIDIA drivers? The Nvidia site itself doesn't seem to have any older
> drivers. I'd appreciate that.
>
> "Andrew" wrote:
>
>> Why not just delete the device from the Hardware Manager and then reboot.
>> When Windows rediscovers the hardware it will request the driver
>> installation files. If you have these already extracted to a folder then
>> point Windows in the right direction otherwise if you have the exe file,
>> as
>> typically downloaded from Nvidias website, simply click cancel and then
>> run
>> the driver exe.
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> Andy
>> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
>> > Was there a good reason to install the latest drivers. If not other
>> > than
>> > wanting the latest then try to install the previous version if the
>> > method
>> > described by Yves doesn't work.
>> > Neil
>> > "Dracone8" <Dracone8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thank you for the links. Can i just install any of the older drivers, like
the drivers right before the most recent? Because I don't know what version i
had before i downloaded the new ones.

"neil" wrote:

> Try this http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html it's the NVIDIA
> archive.
>
> Neil
>
> "Dracone8" <Dracone8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would do that, but whenever i try to uninstall it via device manager, it
> > says "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot
> > up
> > the computer." Also, if i try to remove it through Add/Remove programs,
> > it's
> > not on the list. By the way, could you give me the link to a site with
> > older
> > NVIDIA drivers? The Nvidia site itself doesn't seem to have any older
> > drivers. I'd appreciate that.
> >
> > "Andrew" wrote:
> >
> >> Why not just delete the device from the Hardware Manager and then reboot.
> >> When Windows rediscovers the hardware it will request the driver
> >> installation files. If you have these already extracted to a folder then
> >> point Windows in the right direction otherwise if you have the exe file,
> >> as
> >> typically downloaded from Nvidias website, simply click cancel and then
> >> run
> >> the driver exe.
> >>
> >> Andy
> >>
> >> Andy
> >> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
Yes as far as I know you can.

Neil

> Thank you for the links. Can i just install any of the older drivers, like
> the drivers right before the most recent? Because I don't know what
> version i
> had before i downloaded the new ones.
>
> "neil" wrote:
>
>> Try this http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html it's the
>> NVIDIA
>> archive.
>>
>> Neil
>>
>> "Dracone8" <Dracone8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I would do that, but whenever i try to uninstall it via device manager,
>> >it
>> > says "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to
>> > boot
>> > up
>> > the computer." Also, if i try to remove it through Add/Remove programs,
>> > it's
>> > not on the list. By the way, could you give me the link to a site with
>> > older
>> > NVIDIA drivers? The Nvidia site itself doesn't seem to have any older
>> > drivers. I'd appreciate that.

Andrew

You might find that some of the older drivers are actually better!

> Hi,
> Yes as far as I know you can.
>
> Neil
>
> "Dracone8" <Dracone8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you for the links. Can i just install any of the older drivers,
>> like
>> the drivers right before the most recent? Because I don't know what
>> version i
>> had before i downloaded the new ones.
>>
>> "neil" wrote:
>>
>>> Try this http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html it's the
>>> NVIDIA
>>> archive.
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>
>>> "Dracone8" <Dracone8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yep, I'll go along with that.
Neil
"Andrew" <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> You might find that some of the older drivers are actually better!
>

> Andy
> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Yes as far as I know you can.
>>
>> Neil
>>
>> "Dracone8" <Dracone8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you for the links. Can i just install any of the older drivers,
>>> like
>>> the drivers right before the most recent? Because I don't know what
>>> version i
>>> had before i downloaded the new ones.

Well i tried installing the older drivers, and they didn't install properly
again. The "Windows could not load the installer for display" message
appeared again. So i think the top priority here is fixing whatever is
causing that message to appear. I need to make it so that Windows loads the
installer for display...Any ideas?