fake or re-marked 3200 athlon - help

pbs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the 3200
it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200

it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown

I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one

I want to know whether to return it or not

thanks in advance

"PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
3200
> it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200
>
> it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown
>
> I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one
>

> I want to know whether to return it or not
>

> thanks in advance

It sounds to me like your fsb is not 200..
Check the FSB after boot.. 2500+ speed is what a 3200+ is when clock'd down
from 200 to 166

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:57:49 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
wrote:

>"PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
>3200

Which MOBO / BIOS version ?

>> it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200

200x what?

>> it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown

>> I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one

The colour donates where the thing was made, it's unimportant.

>> I want to know whether to return it or not

Unlikely there is anything wrong with the CPU, it's probably your
settings that are wrong.

>> thanks in advance

>It sounds to me like your fsb is not 200..
>Check the FSB after boot.. 2500+ speed is what a 3200+ is when clock'd down
>from 200 to 166

BoroLad

pbs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+

(with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
were green
as far as I know)

thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:57:49 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>> I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
>>3200
>
> Which MOBO / BIOS version ?
>
>>> it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200
>
> 200x what?
>
>>> it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown
>
>>> I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one
>
> The colour donates where the thing was made, it's unimportant.
>
>>> I want to know whether to return it or not
>
> Unlikely there is anything wrong with the CPU, it's probably your
> settings that are wrong.
>
>>> thanks in advance
>
>>It sounds to me like your fsb is not 200..
>>Check the FSB after boot.. 2500+ speed is what a 3200+ is when clock'd
>>down
>>from 200 to 166
>
> BoroLad

Mike

Splendid

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:49:56 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote:

>can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
>that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+
>

>(with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
>were green
>as far as I know)
>

>thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know

They can come in both colours!

I've seen Barton 3200xp's in green and brown. I remember thinking it was a
little strange myself but I found a couple of review sites which had a different
colour too... so colour is immaterial.

Mike

I can't - but I'd be very surprised if there were only green or brown ones.
Check the dip switches on your mobo.
Use CrystalCPU-ID which will show EXACTLY what your CPU is, whatever your
BIOS settings - aswell as FSB, etc.

> can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
> that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+
>

> (with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
> were green
> as far as I know)
>

> thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know
>

> <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:57:49 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>"PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> >>3200
> >
> > Which MOBO / BIOS version ?

> > 200x what?

> > The colour donates where the thing was made, it's unimportant.

> > Unlikely there is anything wrong with the CPU, it's probably your
> > settings that are wrong.

> >>It sounds to me like your fsb is not 200..
> >>Check the FSB after boot.. 2500+ speed is what a 3200+ is when clock'd
> >>down
> >>from 200 to 166
> >
> > BoroLad

pbs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

"Mike" <dy73ui39aHe5@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:49:56 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>>can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
>>that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+
>>

>>(with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
>>were green
>>as far as I know)
>>

>>thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know
>>

> They can come in both colours!
>
> I've seen Barton 3200xp's in green and brown. I remember thinking it was
> little strange myself but I found a couple of review sites which had a
> different
> colour too... so colour is immaterial.
>
> Mike

thanks Mike ,that's all I needed to know

just for amusement do a google images search for
athlon xp 3200

and you'll see what I mean

not one green 3200, all brown

that and the funny logo on the right side of the black sticker section
that the brown ones didn't have
made me suspicious

pbs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

"Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>I can't - but I'd be very surprised if there were only green or brown ones.
> Check the dip switches on your mobo.
> Use CrystalCPU-ID which will show EXACTLY what your CPU is, whatever your

yeah that would be handy , but I didnt want to use it , in case that would
invalidate my chance of returning it

it's weird
all I wanted to see was ONE online pic of a green athlon 3200 xp
well I can't find one

saw many brown ones though
hundreds

> "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >I can't - but I'd be very surprised if there were only green or brown
ones.
> > Check the dip switches on your mobo.
> > Use CrystalCPU-ID which will show EXACTLY what your CPU is, whatever
your

> yeah that would be handy , but I didnt want to use it , in case that would
> invalidate my chance of returning it

WTF are you on about ?
It's a piece of software.
Man, you got a LOT to learn !

> "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>
>> "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> >I can't - but I'd be very surprised if there were only green or brown
> ones.
>> > Check the dip switches on your mobo.
>> > Use CrystalCPU-ID which will show EXACTLY what your CPU is, whatever
> your
>>
>> yeah that would be handy , but I didnt want to use it , in case that
>> would
>> invalidate my chance of returning it
>

> WTF are you on about ?
> It's a piece of software.
> Man, you got a LOT to learn !

"it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
the cpu is sealed
i.e
I havent opened the box yet

is that clearer?
or would you like pictures

>> it's weird
>> all I wanted to see was ONE online pic of a green athlon 3200 xp
>> well I can't find one
>>
>> saw many brown ones though
>> hundreds
>>

>> > BIOS settings - aswell as FSB, etc.
>> >

>> > "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> thoroughbreds

>> > the

> clock'd

I thought that all bartons were brown but I got a shock when I opened mine
to find a green cased cpu but other than that it works perfectly at 200fsb
and now even 205 fsb. no problems or hitches. i would check your mobo bios
it may need flashed/updated to recognise this cpu.

Robin
"PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
3200
> it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200
>
> it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown
>
> I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one
>

> I want to know whether to return it or not
>

> thanks in advance

pbs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

"robin.gordon1" <robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I thought that all bartons were brown but I got a shock when I opened mine
> to find a green cased cpu but other than that it works perfectly at 200fsb
> and now even 205 fsb. no problems or hitches. i would check your mobo
> bios
> it may need flashed/updated to recognise this cpu.

thanks
that's good enough for me

will install it now

when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
we too thought they were brown
and his one kept posting at 2500
that's what made me cautious before opening mine

ta

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:43:23 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>"robin.gordon1" <robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>I thought that all bartons were brown but I got a shock when I opened mine
>> to find a green cased cpu but other than that it works perfectly at 200fsb
>> and now even 205 fsb. no problems or hitches. i would check your mobo
>> bios
>> it may need flashed/updated to recognise this cpu.

>thanks
>that's good enough for me

>will install it now

>when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
>we too thought they were brown
>and his one kept posting at 2500
>that's what made me cautious before opening mine

>ta

>> Robin
>> "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>> I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
>> 3200
>>> it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200

>>> it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown

>>> I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one

>>> I want to know whether to return it or not

>>> thanks in advance

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=2244
An internal memo said that it will use a third supplier of organic pin
grid array package substrates as well as NTK, which makes brown
packages for the processors

pbs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:43:23 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
>
>>"robin.gordon1" <robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>I thought that all bartons were brown but I got a shock when I opened
>>>mine
>>> to find a green cased cpu but other than that it works perfectly at
>>> 200fsb
>>> and now even 205 fsb. no problems or hitches. i would check your mobo
>>> bios
>>> it may need flashed/updated to recognise this cpu.
>
>>thanks
>>that's good enough for me
>
>>will install it now
>
>>when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
>>we too thought they were brown
>>and his one kept posting at 2500
>>that's what made me cautious before opening mine
>
>>ta
>
>>> Robin
>>> "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>> 3200

> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=2244
> An internal memo said that it will use a third supplier of organic pin
> grid array package substrates as well as NTK, which makes brown
> packages for the processors

turns out that green or brown, makes no difference
all legit
thanks for all the help

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:40:20 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>"it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
>the cpu is sealed
>i.e
>I havent opened the box yet

If you haven't opened the package yet, why did you say "it kept coming
up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200"

??????
--
sls

geoff

>> WTF are you on about ?
>> It's a piece of software.
>> Man, you got a LOT to learn !
>
> "it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
> the cpu is sealed
> i.e
> I havent opened the box yet
>
> is that clearer?
> or would you like pictures

is that case just lookup the serial numbers on the cpu
post em here if you arn't sure

pbs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

"Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> WTF are you on about ?
>>> It's a piece of software.
>>> Man, you got a LOT to learn !
>>
>> "it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
>> the cpu is sealed
>> i.e
>> I havent opened the box yet
>>
>> is that clearer?
>> or would you like pictures
>>

> is that case just lookup the serial numbers on the cpu
> post em here if you arn't sure

sorted it out
thanks anyway

turns out there are both green and brown 3200's

"PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
> that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+
>

> (with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
> were green
> as far as I know)
>

> thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know
>

> <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:57:49 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>"PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> >>3200
> >
> > Which MOBO / BIOS version ?

> > 200x what?

> > The colour donates where the thing was made, it's unimportant.

> > Unlikely there is anything wrong with the CPU, it's probably your
> > settings that are wrong.

> >>It sounds to me like your fsb is not 200..
> >>Check the FSB after boot.. 2500+ speed is what a 3200+ is when clock'd
> >>down
> >>from 200 to 166
> >
> > BoroLad

Athlon 2500+ Mobile in my system....green substrait below core.
Yes they make GREEN barton core cpus.
Your running at 11x166FSB you need to be running it at 11x 200FSB.
This will fix you up.

OZoNE

> "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > ones.
> > your
> >>
> >> yeah that would be handy , but I didnt want to use it , in case that
> >> would
> >> invalidate my chance of returning it
> >

> > WTF are you on about ?
> > It's a piece of software.
> > Man, you got a LOT to learn !
>
> "it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
> the cpu is sealed
> i.e
> I havent opened the box yet
>
> is that clearer?
> or would you like pictures

That's quite a feat.
Finding that despite setting your FSB to 200, your chip shows as a 2500+
..... while still in the box !

"Satan's Little Sister" <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:40:20 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
>
> >"it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
> >the cpu is sealed
> >i.e
> >I havent opened the box yet
>
> If you haven't opened the package yet, why did you say "it kept coming
> up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200"

Because he's : -
a) A liar
b) A cretin
c) Combination of a. and b. - most likely scenario.

> ??????
> --
> sls

You must have some setting wrong in you Bios.If you set your fsb to high ,
it would not boot.
Your motherboard might have both dip switches and the bios to adjust the
fsb.
If I run my 2500+ at 11x200mhz fsb , it shows me 3200+ and I guess , if you
run a 3200+ at 166mhz fsb it would show you 2500+
Maybe check the manual.
Regards Achim

"PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
3200
> it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200
>
> it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown
>
> I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one
>

> I want to know whether to return it or not
>

> thanks in advance

There is no thing a 2500 thoroughbred. Is it multiplier looked?
If it was a toroughbred , it would be a 1700+ (11x133mhz)
Look at this AMD site
http://139.95.253.214/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=49,E=0000000000167207192,K=6429,Sxi=17,Solution=3913

> "Satan's Little Sister" <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:40:20 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
>> >the cpu is sealed
>> >i.e
>> >I havent opened the box yet
>>
>> If you haven't opened the package yet, why did you say "it kept coming
>> up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200"
>

> Because he's : -
> a) A liar
> b) A cretin
> c) Combination of a. and b. - most likely scenario.

d) there are more possibilities , but with a name like scumball what do you
expect?

read the whole thread before making gross accusations, your handle is most
appropriate,
guess even self realisation can only make one accept the truth about oneself
and not improve oneself

you would have seen the following-

> thanks
> that's good enough for me
>
> will install it now
>

> when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
> we too thought they were brown
> and his one kept posting at 2500
> that's what made me cautious before opening mine

you see there were 2 of this cpu's, and I wasn't asking for anything else
but confirmation, but hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good
flame!

>> ??????
>> --
>> sls

Why not just admit that you phucked up because you forgot to tell us that
you were talking about someone else's CPU, rather than adding it to another
branch of the thread AFTER you've been rumbled ?
That way you don't make yourself look like a complete dick-head.

> "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Satan's Little Sister" <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote in
message

> >> If you haven't opened the package yet, why did you say "it kept coming
> >> up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200"
> >

> > Because he's : -
> > a) A liar
> > b) A cretin
> > c) Combination of a. and b. - most likely scenario.
> >

> d) there are more possibilities , but with a name like scumball what do
you
> expect?
>
> read the whole thread before making gross accusations, your handle is most
> appropriate,
> guess even self realisation can only make one accept the truth about
oneself
> and not improve oneself
>
> you would have seen the following-
>

> > thanks
> > that's good enough for me
> >
> > will install it now
> >

> > when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
> > we too thought they were brown
> > and his one kept posting at 2500
> > that's what made me cautious before opening mine
>
> you see there were 2 of this cpu's, and I wasn't asking for anything else
> but confirmation, but hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good
> flame!
>

> >> ??????
> >> --
> >> sls

>turns out that green or brown, makes no difference
>all legit thanks for all the help

UR welcome M8