fake or re-marked 3200 athlon - help

I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the 3200
it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200

it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown

I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one

I want to know whether to return it or not

thanks in advance
37 answers Last reply
More about fake marked 3200 athlon help

    "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
    3200
    > it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200
    >
    > it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown
    >
    > I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one
    >

    > I want to know whether to return it or not
    >

    > thanks in advance

    It sounds to me like your fsb is not 200..
    Check the FSB after boot.. 2500+ speed is what a 3200+ is when clock'd down
    from 200 to 166

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:57:49 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
    wrote:

    >"PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
    >3200

    Which MOBO / BIOS version ?

    >> it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200

    200x what?

    >> it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown

    >> I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one

    The colour donates where the thing was made, it's unimportant.

    >> I want to know whether to return it or not

    Unlikely there is anything wrong with the CPU, it's probably your
    settings that are wrong.

    >> thanks in advance

    >It sounds to me like your fsb is not 200..
    >Check the FSB after boot.. 2500+ speed is what a 3200+ is when clock'd down
    >from 200 to 166

    BoroLad

    can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
    that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+

    (with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
    were green
    as far as I know)

    thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:49:56 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote:

    >can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
    >that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+
    >

    >(with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
    >were green
    >as far as I know)
    >

    >thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know

    They can come in both colours!

    I've seen Barton 3200xp's in green and brown. I remember thinking it was a
    little strange myself but I found a couple of review sites which had a different
    colour too... so colour is immaterial.

    Mike

    I can't - but I'd be very surprised if there were only green or brown ones.
    Check the dip switches on your mobo.
    Use CrystalCPU-ID which will show EXACTLY what your CPU is, whatever your
    BIOS settings - aswell as FSB, etc.

    "Mike" <dy73ui39aHe5@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:49:56 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote:
    >
    >>can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
    >>that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+
    >>

    >>(with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
    >>were green
    >>as far as I know)
    >>

    >>thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know
    >>

    > They can come in both colours!
    >
    > I've seen Barton 3200xp's in green and brown. I remember thinking it was
    > little strange myself but I found a couple of review sites which had a
    > different
    > colour too... so colour is immaterial.
    >
    > Mike

    thanks Mike ,that's all I needed to know

    just for amusement do a google images search for
    athlon xp 3200

    and you'll see what I mean

    not one green 3200, all brown

    that and the funny logo on the right side of the black sticker section
    that the brown ones didn't have
    made me suspicious

    "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >I can't - but I'd be very surprised if there were only green or brown ones.
    > Check the dip switches on your mobo.
    > Use CrystalCPU-ID which will show EXACTLY what your CPU is, whatever your

    yeah that would be handy , but I didnt want to use it , in case that would
    invalidate my chance of returning it

    it's weird
    all I wanted to see was ONE online pic of a green athlon 3200 xp
    well I can't find one

    saw many brown ones though
    hundreds

    > BIOS settings - aswell as FSB, etc.
    >

    > "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
    >> that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+
    >>

    >> (with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
    >> were green
    >> as far as I know)
    >>

    >> thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know
    >>

    >> <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message

    > the
    >> >
    >> > Which MOBO / BIOS version ?

    >> > 200x what?

    >> > The colour donates where the thing was made, it's unimportant.

    >> > Unlikely there is anything wrong with the CPU, it's probably your
    >> > settings that are wrong.

    >> > BoroLad

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > >I can't - but I'd be very surprised if there were only green or brown
    ones.
    > > Check the dip switches on your mobo.
    > > Use CrystalCPU-ID which will show EXACTLY what your CPU is, whatever
    your

    > yeah that would be handy , but I didnt want to use it , in case that would
    > invalidate my chance of returning it

    WTF are you on about ?
    It's a piece of software.
    Man, you got a LOT to learn !

    > it's weird
    > all I wanted to see was ONE online pic of a green athlon 3200 xp
    > well I can't find one
    >
    > saw many brown ones though
    > hundreds
    >

    > > BIOS settings - aswell as FSB, etc.
    > >

    > > "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > >> can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
    > >> that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+
    > >>

    > >> (with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the
    thoroughbreds
    > >> were green
    > >> as far as I know)
    > >>

    > >> thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know
    > >>

    > >> <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message

    > > the

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> >I can't - but I'd be very surprised if there were only green or brown
    > ones.
    >> > Check the dip switches on your mobo.
    >> > Use CrystalCPU-ID which will show EXACTLY what your CPU is, whatever
    > your
    >>
    >> yeah that would be handy , but I didnt want to use it , in case that
    >> would
    >> invalidate my chance of returning it
    >

    > WTF are you on about ?
    > It's a piece of software.
    > Man, you got a LOT to learn !

    "it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
    the cpu is sealed
    i.e
    I havent opened the box yet

    is that clearer?
    or would you like pictures

    >> it's weird
    >> all I wanted to see was ONE online pic of a green athlon 3200 xp
    >> well I can't find one
    >>
    >> saw many brown ones though
    >> hundreds
    >>

    >> > BIOS settings - aswell as FSB, etc.
    >> >

    >> > "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message

    > thoroughbreds

    >> > the

    > clock'd

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    I thought that all bartons were brown but I got a shock when I opened mine
    to find a green cased cpu but other than that it works perfectly at 200fsb
    and now even 205 fsb. no problems or hitches. i would check your mobo bios
    it may need flashed/updated to recognise this cpu.

    Robin
    "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
    3200
    > it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200
    >
    > it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown
    >
    > I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one
    >

    > I want to know whether to return it or not
    >

    > thanks in advance

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "robin.gordon1" <robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I thought that all bartons were brown but I got a shock when I opened mine
    > to find a green cased cpu but other than that it works perfectly at 200fsb
    > and now even 205 fsb. no problems or hitches. i would check your mobo
    > bios
    > it may need flashed/updated to recognise this cpu.

    thanks
    that's good enough for me

    will install it now

    when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
    we too thought they were brown
    and his one kept posting at 2500
    that's what made me cautious before opening mine

    ta

    > Robin
    > "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
    > 3200
    >> it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200
    >>
    >> it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown
    >>
    >> I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one
    >>

    >> I want to know whether to return it or not
    >>

    >> thanks in advance

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:43:23 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au>
    wrote:

    >"robin.gordon1" <robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>I thought that all bartons were brown but I got a shock when I opened mine
    >> to find a green cased cpu but other than that it works perfectly at 200fsb
    >> and now even 205 fsb. no problems or hitches. i would check your mobo
    >> bios
    >> it may need flashed/updated to recognise this cpu.

    >thanks
    >that's good enough for me

    >will install it now

    >when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
    >we too thought they were brown
    >and his one kept posting at 2500
    >that's what made me cautious before opening mine

    >ta

    >> Robin
    >> "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >>> I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
    >> 3200
    >>> it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200

    >>> it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown

    >>> I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one

    >>> I want to know whether to return it or not

    >>> thanks in advance

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=2244
    An internal memo said that it will use a third supplier of organic pin
    grid array package substrates as well as NTK, which makes brown
    packages for the processors
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:43:23 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"robin.gordon1" <robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>>I thought that all bartons were brown but I got a shock when I opened
    >>>mine
    >>> to find a green cased cpu but other than that it works perfectly at
    >>> 200fsb
    >>> and now even 205 fsb. no problems or hitches. i would check your mobo
    >>> bios
    >>> it may need flashed/updated to recognise this cpu.
    >
    >>thanks
    >>that's good enough for me
    >
    >>will install it now
    >
    >>when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
    >>we too thought they were brown
    >>and his one kept posting at 2500
    >>that's what made me cautious before opening mine
    >
    >>ta
    >
    >>> Robin
    >>> "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >>> 3200

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=2244
    > An internal memo said that it will use a third supplier of organic pin
    > grid array package substrates as well as NTK, which makes brown
    > packages for the processors

    turns out that green or brown, makes no difference
    all legit
    thanks for all the help
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:40:20 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au>
    wrote:

    >"it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
    >the cpu is sealed
    >i.e
    >I havent opened the box yet

    If you haven't opened the package yet, why did you say "it kept coming
    up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200"

    ??????
    --
    sls
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    >> WTF are you on about ?
    >> It's a piece of software.
    >> Man, you got a LOT to learn !
    >
    > "it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
    > the cpu is sealed
    > i.e
    > I havent opened the box yet
    >
    > is that clearer?
    > or would you like pictures

    is that case just lookup the serial numbers on the cpu
    post em here if you arn't sure
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> WTF are you on about ?
    >>> It's a piece of software.
    >>> Man, you got a LOT to learn !
    >>
    >> "it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
    >> the cpu is sealed
    >> i.e
    >> I havent opened the box yet
    >>
    >> is that clearer?
    >> or would you like pictures
    >>

    > is that case just lookup the serial numbers on the cpu
    > post em here if you arn't sure

    sorted it out
    thanks anyway

    turns out there are both green and brown 3200's
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
    > that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+
    >

    > (with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
    > were green
    > as far as I know)
    >

    > thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know
    >

    > <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:57:49 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>"PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > >>3200
    > >
    > > Which MOBO / BIOS version ?

    > > 200x what?

    > > The colour donates where the thing was made, it's unimportant.

    > > Unlikely there is anything wrong with the CPU, it's probably your
    > > settings that are wrong.

    > >>It sounds to me like your fsb is not 200..
    > >>Check the FSB after boot.. 2500+ speed is what a 3200+ is when clock'd
    > >>down
    > >>from 200 to 166
    > >
    > > BoroLad

    Athlon 2500+ Mobile in my system....green substrait below core.
    Yes they make GREEN barton core cpus.
    Your running at 11x166FSB you need to be running it at 11x 200FSB.
    This will fix you up.

    OZoNE

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > ones.
    > > your
    > >>
    > >> yeah that would be handy , but I didnt want to use it , in case that
    > >> would
    > >> invalidate my chance of returning it
    > >

    > > WTF are you on about ?
    > > It's a piece of software.
    > > Man, you got a LOT to learn !
    >
    > "it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
    > the cpu is sealed
    > i.e
    > I havent opened the box yet
    >
    > is that clearer?
    > or would you like pictures

    That's quite a feat.
    Finding that despite setting your FSB to 200, your chip shows as a 2500+
    ..... while still in the box !

    > >> it's weird
    > >> all I wanted to see was ONE online pic of a green athlon 3200 xp
    > >> well I can't find one
    > >>
    > >> saw many brown ones though
    > >> hundreds

    > > thoroughbreds

    <.@text.news.virgin.net>

    > > clock'd

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Satan's Little Sister" <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:40:20 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
    > >the cpu is sealed
    > >i.e
    > >I havent opened the box yet
    >
    > If you haven't opened the package yet, why did you say "it kept coming
    > up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200"

    Because he's : -
    a) A liar
    b) A cretin
    c) Combination of a. and b. - most likely scenario.

    > ??????
    > --
    > sls
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    You must have some setting wrong in you Bios.If you set your fsb to high ,
    it would not boot.
    Your motherboard might have both dip switches and the bios to adjust the
    fsb.
    If I run my 2500+ at 11x200mhz fsb , it shows me 3200+ and I guess , if you
    run a 3200+ at 166mhz fsb it would show you 2500+
    Maybe check the manual.
    Regards Achim

    "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > I bought a athlon 3200+ 400fsb cpu today even though my MB supports the
    3200
    > it kept coming up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200
    >
    > it was green and all the other 3200's I have seen were brown
    >
    > I did a google images search and could NOT find one green one
    >

    > I want to know whether to return it or not
    >

    > thanks in advance

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    There is no thing a 2500 thoroughbred. Is it multiplier looked?
    If it was a toroughbred , it would be a 1700+ (11x133mhz)
    Look at this AMD site
    http://139.95.253.214/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=49,E=0000000000167207192,K=6429,Sxi=17,Solution=3913

    "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
    > that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+
    >

    > (with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
    > were green
    > as far as I know)
    >

    > thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know
    >

    > <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:57:49 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>"PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > >>3200
    > >
    > > Which MOBO / BIOS version ?

    > > 200x what?

    > > The colour donates where the thing was made, it's unimportant.

    > > Unlikely there is anything wrong with the CPU, it's probably your
    > > settings that are wrong.

    > >>It sounds to me like your fsb is not 200..
    > >>Check the FSB after boot.. 2500+ speed is what a 3200+ is when clock'd
    > >>down
    > >>from 200 to 166
    > >
    > > BoroLad

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > "Satan's Little Sister" <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:40:20 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"it" means the CPU not the cpuid app
    >> >the cpu is sealed
    >> >i.e
    >> >I havent opened the box yet
    >>
    >> If you haven't opened the package yet, why did you say "it kept coming
    >> up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200"
    >

    > Because he's : -
    > a) A liar
    > b) A cretin
    > c) Combination of a. and b. - most likely scenario.

    d) there are more possibilities , but with a name like scumball what do you
    expect?

    read the whole thread before making gross accusations, your handle is most
    appropriate,
    guess even self realisation can only make one accept the truth about oneself
    and not improve oneself

    you would have seen the following-

    > thanks
    > that's good enough for me
    >
    > will install it now
    >

    > when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
    > we too thought they were brown
    > and his one kept posting at 2500
    > that's what made me cautious before opening mine

    you see there were 2 of this cpu's, and I wasn't asking for anything else
    but confirmation, but hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good
    flame!

    >> ??????
    >> --
    >> sls

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Why not just admit that you phucked up because you forgot to tell us that
    you were talking about someone else's CPU, rather than adding it to another
    branch of the thread AFTER you've been rumbled ?
    That way you don't make yourself look like a complete dick-head.

    > "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Satan's Little Sister" <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote in
    message

    > >> If you haven't opened the package yet, why did you say "it kept coming
    > >> up as a 2500, even with the fsb set as 200"
    > >

    > > Because he's : -
    > > a) A liar
    > > b) A cretin
    > > c) Combination of a. and b. - most likely scenario.
    > >

    > d) there are more possibilities , but with a name like scumball what do
    you
    > expect?
    >
    > read the whole thread before making gross accusations, your handle is most
    > appropriate,
    > guess even self realisation can only make one accept the truth about
    oneself
    > and not improve oneself
    >
    > you would have seen the following-
    >

    > > thanks
    > > that's good enough for me
    > >
    > > will install it now
    > >

    > > when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
    > > we too thought they were brown
    > > and his one kept posting at 2500
    > > that's what made me cautious before opening mine
    >
    > you see there were 2 of this cpu's, and I wasn't asking for anything else
    > but confirmation, but hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good
    > flame!
    >

    > >> ??????
    > >> --
    > >> sls

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    >turns out that green or brown, makes no difference
    >all legit thanks for all the help

    UR welcome M8
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Von Gibbling" <Von_Gibbling@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Why not just admit that you phucked up because you forgot to tell us that
    > you were talking about someone else's CPU, rather than adding it to
    > another
    > branch of the thread AFTER you've been rumbled ?
    > That way you don't make yourself look like a complete dick-head.

    You seem to have the same logic flaws as the other guy (scumball).
    You too should do your homework before posting allegations

    Hint - Look at the time of the posts in question and you will see that
    it was not a "save".
    If you do decide to research your claims, you will undoubtedly find that
    BOTH posts were sent well before the allegation.

    An apology is not required,
    just learn from it
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    >>turns out that green or brown, makes no difference
    >>all legit thanks for all the help
    >
    > UR welcome M8

    Thanks.

    Counterfeit cpu's are not unheard of .

    here is a recent warning -
    http://www.digit-life.com/archive.shtml?dl20030106

    I remember buying a new Pentium 133 cpu ( of a tray, not boxed)
    from a pc market (computer fair) and finding out that it was only a 100

    During my enquiries I found out about overclocking and re-marked cpu's
    and once I realised that the P100 and P133 were essentially the same thing
    I wasn't as upset as much as I was.

    Since then I have always been wary of purchasing "tray" cpu's.
    i.e not in the original manufacturers packaging (boxed)
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Von Gibbling wrote:
    > Why not just admit that you phucked up because you forgot to tell us that
    > you were talking about someone else's CPU, rather than adding it to
    > another branch of the thread AFTER you've been rumbled ?
    > That way you don't make yourself look like a complete dick-head.

    Oh right, so now who's holding the CPU (since all the details he provided
    would have been pretty much identical for both CPUs) makes a difference?

    Ben
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Von Gibbling wrote:
    > > Why not just admit that you phucked up because you forgot to tell us
    that
    > > you were talking about someone else's CPU, rather than adding it to
    > > another branch of the thread AFTER you've been rumbled ?
    > > That way you don't make yourself look like a complete dick-head.
    >

    > Oh right, so now who's holding the CPU (since all the details he provided
    > would have been pretty much identical for both CPUs) makes a difference?

    So we were just imagining all that shi'ite about his CPU coming up as a
    2500+ in the BIOS ?

    > Ben

  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > can anyone confirm with absolute certainty
    > that there is such a thing as a green athlon 3200+

    Package color doesnt matter..

    > (with respect to Barton being brown coloured cpu's and the thoroughbreds
    > were green
    > as far as I know)

    Package color doesnt matter.. there are light brown, brown, green, and this
    other strange color that they use.. i guess depending on what they have in
    stock (no idea)

    > thanks for the advice , but that's all I need to know

    So now you know, Color is useless.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > not one green 3200, all brown
    >
    > that and the funny logo on the right side of the black sticker section
    > that the brown ones didn't have
    > made me suspicious

    The place to look is on the metal looking block thats on top of the cpu..
    It will have product codes..
    If it says AXP3200 then you have a axp3200 chip
    Cant get much easier than that..
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Von Gibbling wrote:
    > > Why not just admit that you phucked up because you forgot to tell us
    that
    > > you were talking about someone else's CPU, rather than adding it to
    > > another branch of the thread AFTER you've been rumbled ?
    > > That way you don't make yourself look like a complete dick-head.
    >

    > Oh right, so now who's holding the CPU (since all the details he provided
    > would have been pretty much identical for both CPUs) makes a difference?
    >
    > Ben

    Had he told us straight up that the CPU was still in it's clear package we
    could say "read the numbers on the die" and it would have all been enough..
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > "Von Gibbling" <Von_Gibbling@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Why not just admit that you phucked up because you forgot to tell us
    that
    > > you were talking about someone else's CPU, rather than adding it to
    > > another
    > > branch of the thread AFTER you've been rumbled ?
    > > That way you don't make yourself look like a complete dick-head.
    > >

    > You seem to have the same logic flaws as the other guy (scumball).
    > You too should do your homework before posting allegations
    >
    > Hint - Look at the time of the posts in question and you will see that
    > it was not a "save".

    You were rumbled at 3.40 on Friday, when you conceded that the CPU was still
    in the box.

    Then at 3.43 on Friday, you added (in another branch of the thread) : -
    -------------------
    "when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
    we too thought they were brown
    and his one kept posting at 2500
    that's what made me cautious before opening mine"
    -------------------

    ..... which you obviously added having realised what a dick-head you'd made
    of yourself.

    So, it looks as though premise c) (lying cretin) stands.

    Tip : It would pay to check things first yourself, before using them to
    'prove' your point.

    Dick-head.

    > If you do decide to research your claims, you will undoubtedly find that
    > BOTH posts were sent well before the allegation.
    >
    > An apology is not required,
    > just learn from it

  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Von Gibbling" <Von_Gibbling@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> > Why not just admit that you phucked up because you forgot to tell us
    > that
    >> > you were talking about someone else's CPU, rather than adding it to
    >> > another
    >> > branch of the thread AFTER you've been rumbled ?
    >> > That way you don't make yourself look like a complete dick-head.
    >> >

    >> You seem to have the same logic flaws as the other guy (scumball).
    >> You too should do your homework before posting allegations
    >>
    >> Hint - Look at the time of the posts in question and you will see that
    >> it was not a "save".
    >

    > You were rumbled at 3.40 on Friday, when you conceded that the CPU was
    > still
    > in the box.

    > Then at 3.43 on Friday, you added (in another branch of the thread) : -
    > -------------------
    > "when the guy at the shop opened his one , we both looked at each other
    > we too thought they were brown
    > and his one kept posting at 2500
    > that's what made me cautious before opening mine"
    > -------------------
    >
    > .... which you obviously added having realised what a dick-head you'd made
    > of yourself.

    your pathetic, and thick , no point trying
    scumball = killfile
    plonk
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

    > "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Von Gibbling wrote:
    > > > Why not just admit that you phucked up because you forgot to tell us
    > that
    > > > you were talking about someone else's CPU, rather than adding it to
    > > > another branch of the thread AFTER you've been rumbled ?
    > > > That way you don't make yourself look like a complete dick-head.
    > >

    > > Oh right, so now who's holding the CPU (since all the details he
    provided
    > > would have been pretty much identical for both CPUs) makes a difference?

    You seem to be having some trouble grasping what's going on.
    After we'd been told that it showed in the BIOS as a 2500+, I told him to
    run Crystal CPU-ID.
    He then said that this would invalidate its warranty.
    I pointed out that this was rubbish, to which he replied that he was now
    referring to another CPU that was still in the package.
    Understand ?
    Or would you like me to draw a picture ? (to coin a phrase).

    > > Ben
    >

    > Had he told us straight up that the CPU was still in it's clear package we
    > could say "read the numbers on the die" and it would have all been
    enough..

  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 10:14:51 GMT, "PBS" <pbsoftSP@Mbigpond.net.au>
    wrote:

    ><borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message

    >>>turns out that green or brown, makes no difference
    >>>all legit thanks for all the help

    >> UR welcome M8

    >Thanks.

    >Counterfeit cpu's are not unheard of .

    >here is a recent warning -
    >http://www.digit-life.com/archive.shtml?dl20030106

    >I remember buying a new Pentium 133 cpu ( of a tray, not boxed)
    >from a pc market (computer fair) and finding out that it was only a 100

    >During my enquiries I found out about overclocking and re-marked cpu's
    >and once I realised that the P100 and P133 were essentially the same thing
    >I wasn't as upset as much as I was.

    >Since then I have always been wary of purchasing "tray" cpu's.
    >i.e not in the original manufacturers packaging (boxed)

    Only once many years ago in the days of the AMD K6, I bought a tray of
    bad [ remarked ] memory. 24 bars of 32pin SIMM x1Meg at £70:00 per
    meg.

    The firm [ importer ] took the flak and I got the money back, so yes
    I've heard of many scams since - and there is nothing wrong with
    double checking with people if you are unsure!

    BoroLad
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > > > Oh right, so now who's holding the CPU (since all the details he
    > provided
    > > > would have been pretty much identical for both CPUs) makes a
    difference?

    > You seem to be having some trouble grasping what's going on.
    > After we'd been told that it showed in the BIOS as a 2500+, I told him to
    > run Crystal CPU-ID.
    > He then said that this would invalidate its warranty.
    > I pointed out that this was rubbish, to which he replied that he was now
    > referring to another CPU that was still in the package.
    > Understand ?
    > Or would you like me to draw a picture ? (to coin a phrase).

    You should reply to ben directly, not to me, as it was no my post that you
    were replying to.
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > > provided
    > difference?
    > >

    > > You seem to be having some trouble grasping what's going on.
    > > After we'd been told that it showed in the BIOS as a 2500+, I told him
    > > run Crystal CPU-ID.
    > > He then said that this would invalidate its warranty.
    > > I pointed out that this was rubbish, to which he replied that he was now
    > > referring to another CPU that was still in the package.
    > > Understand ?
    > > Or would you like me to draw a picture ? (to coin a phrase).
    > >

    > You should reply to ben directly, not to me, as it was no my post that you
    > were replying to.

    Sorry about that - as you say, I should have responded to his reply rather
    than yours .... but I missed the original opportunity.
    Guessed you'd realise what I was responding to here.

AMD Green Overclocking