barton 3200+ math question

Dookie

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2004

i'm awaiting the arrival of my cpu in the mail and have been prepping my
mobo in anticipation, but the math isn't making sense.

the 3200+ batron is definitely a 200mhz FSB, and the mobo definitely
supports it and is configured that way (soyo SY-KT600+). but what about
this multiplier business? i understand that 11.0 is the multiplier i should
be using, times 200mhz = 2200mhz, not 3200. it would seem to me that the
multiplier should be 16.0...

what gives?

thx,

dookie

geoff

dookie wrote:
> i'm awaiting the arrival of my cpu in the mail and have been prepping
> my mobo in anticipation, but the math isn't making sense.
>
> the 3200+ batron is definitely a 200mhz FSB, and the mobo definitely
> supports it and is configured that way (soyo SY-KT600+). but what
> about this multiplier business? i understand that 11.0 is the
> multiplier i should be using, times 200mhz = 2200mhz, not 3200. it
> would seem to me that the multiplier should be 16.0...
>
> what gives?
>
> thx,
>
> dookie

xp3200 runs at 2.2ghz (200 x 11)
it's an AMD cpu, not an intel

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:24:20 +0000, dookie wrote:

> i'm awaiting the arrival of my cpu in the mail and have been prepping my
> mobo in anticipation, but the math isn't making sense.
>
> the 3200+ batron is definitely a 200mhz FSB, and the mobo definitely
> supports it and is configured that way (soyo SY-KT600+). but what about
> this multiplier business? i understand that 11.0 is the multiplier i should
> be using, times 200mhz = 2200mhz, not 3200. it would seem to me that the
> multiplier should be 16.0...
>
> what gives?

3200+ is a model number, not a clock speed. the 3200 is based on a
Performance Rating (PR). The AMD cpu executes commands at a rate of 1.45
to 1 of the P4. The clock speed of the 3200+ is 2200MHz x 1.45 = 3190MHz
on an intel P4. Now, I think the PR of the XP cpu's are overrated a
little starting with the 3000+. OTOH, the A64's are underrated.

Tim

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message

> I think the PR of the XP cpu's are overrated a
> little starting with the 3000+.

A Barton 3200+ performs like a 2.8GHz P4, IMHO