s939 any news on cheaper CPU's?

Hello all

Was going to upgrade my current rig (Barton 2800+ [multi-locked], Gigabyte
7N400 Pro, 9700 np 1 GB PC3200 RAM) to a s754 with A64 2800+ or 3000+. Then
I saw that there are some 939 boards out and thought I'd look at the price
of the CPU's - bit of a shock even ignoring the FX chips.

So are AMD going to bring slower, cheaper A64 CPU's to the 939 platform or
am I better off just going for a 754 board now?

Alternativly I'd *consider* getting an, unlocked, Mobile XP and/or upgrading
the GPU - how would this equate to the the performance of say an AMD64
2800/3000 with my current 9700 (though the UG path from this would be
limited to sat the least)?

BTW I'm just starting to see some performance issues with Far Cry & GC II
(only when there's lots going on but still ... ) so I'm fairly concerned
about how Doom III & HL2 are going to run on my current rig.

TIA

BillL

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

How is 939 going to last all that long if dual core cpu's are coming
out next year ?

I was surprised at the low prices on the 754 cpu's. I'd buy a cheap
one and pick up a faster cpu in a year or two at close out prices.
I think MSI has a nice nforce3 250gb motherboard.

Oh, and check out the thermalright 120mm fan heatsink. 5 heat pipes.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:31:24 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
<billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello all
>
>Was going to upgrade my current rig (Barton 2800+ [multi-locked], Gigabyte
>7N400 Pro, 9700 np 1 GB PC3200 RAM) to a s754 with A64 2800+ or 3000+. Then
>I saw that there are some 939 boards out and thought I'd look at the price
>of the CPU's - bit of a shock even ignoring the FX chips.
>
>So are AMD going to bring slower, cheaper A64 CPU's to the 939 platform or
>am I better off just going for a 754 board now?
>
>Alternativly I'd *consider* getting an, unlocked, Mobile XP and/or upgrading
>the GPU - how would this equate to the the performance of say an AMD64
>2800/3000 with my current 9700 (though the UG path from this would be
>limited to sat the least)?
>
>BTW I'm just starting to see some performance issues with Far Cry & GC II
>(only when there's lots going on but still ... ) so I'm fairly concerned
>about how Doom III & HL2 are going to run on my current rig.
>
>TIA
>
>BillL

morgan

I agree with you on the price of the 939 CPU's. I think that we have all got
used to them being a lot cheaper
<casts mind back to what I paid for my 486 DX2 66 CPU>
Even though your CPU is locked there is still the FSB, as you know, that can
be used to get a little more out of it, if you think that it is needed.
I suppose the cheapest "upgrade" would be the mobile CPU but I think that
you realise already that it really isn't going to offer you "that" much more
than you have got now in practical terms, depending how deep your pockets
are though.

My friend has just got an ATI XT800 and he is running it with his
overclocked XP1700 (ran at 12x200) and as an example his 3D mark 2003 score
is over 12,000. Reading from the link below it suggests that the CPU
scalability of these cards is no longer as big a factor as it was previously
(at higher resolutions), and since you mention a couple of games as a reason
for your upgrade it might be worth noting that more would be gained (with
deep pockets) from such a beast of a card than a new motherboard, cpu and
possibly memory - if yours doesn't work with a 64 bit CPU.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/x800_pro_athlon_xp/page16.asp

As for Doom 3 and HL2. Well Doom 3 is out soon and so speculation will no
longer be a factor - so you can try it out. HL2 - well by the time that it
finally does come out the XT800's and the 6800's will be around half the
price that they are now ;~)

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive noisy....
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

The 939 CPU's are suppose to drop in price the first of August,and then again
in late August. Heres a link to some more info.
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1038/

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

Go look at anandtech hotdeals forum. A couple threads on massive 939 cpu
pricecuts. They become official next week, but are hitting already. See
newegg 3400+ or 3500+ for example.

rms

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> Go look at anandtech hotdeals forum. A couple threads on massive 939 cpu
> pricecuts. They become official next week, but are hitting already. See
> newegg 3400+ or 3500+ for example.
>
> rms

Thanks all, good info.

The latest & greatest is out of my price range (still there's always the
credit card ... ;o). At the moment I think I'd be looking to get a 754 mobo
(the MSI & Epox N3 250GB boards both look good) and, probably, an A64 3000+
and upgrading the GPU in around 4 - 6 months. The one thing that would
change this would be *if* the above price CPU price cuts are significant
(i.e. I could afford one - the mobos are already affordable imo).

Cheers

Billl

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:43:20 -0700, >>,<<>>>'> wrote:

>How is 939 going to last all that long if dual core cpu's are coming
>out next year ?

Dual core K8 chips will be interchangeable with the single core ones.
Assuming they make some for socket 939 (current plan is just s940),
all you will need is a BIOS update.

--
sls

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:57:58 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
<billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks all, good info.
>
>The latest & greatest is out of my price range (still there's always the
>credit card ... ;o). At the moment I think I'd be looking to get a 754 mobo
>(the MSI & Epox N3 250GB boards both look good) and, probably, an A64 3000+
>and upgrading the GPU in around 4 - 6 months. The one thing that would
>change this would be *if* the above price CPU price cuts are significant
>(i.e. I could afford one - the mobos are already affordable imo).

I just saw a new Asus socket 754 nforce3 250gb motherboard at a local
store. Might be good...

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:30:03 GMT, Satan's Little Sister
<littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:43:20 -0700, >>,<<>>>'> wrote:
>
>>How is 939 going to last all that long if dual core cpu's are coming
>>out next year ?
>
>Dual core K8 chips will be interchangeable with the single core ones.
>Assuming they make some for socket 939 (current plan is just s940),
>all you will need is a BIOS update.

Sounds good to me ;)

That's the first good reason I've heard to wait for a 939 motherboard.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 04:37:38 -0700, wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:30:03 GMT, Satan's Little Sister
> <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:43:20 -0700, >>,<<>>>'> wrote:
>>
>>>How is 939 going to last all that long if dual core cpu's are coming
>>>out next year ?
>>
>>Dual core K8 chips will be interchangeable with the single core ones.
>>Assuming they make some for socket 939 (current plan is just s940),
>>all you will need is a BIOS update.
>

> Sounds good to me ;)
>
> That's the first good reason I've heard to wait for a 939 motherboard.

My guess is you'll be waiting a long time for a dual core cpu for 939,
like forever.:)

<>>>; ">>'>" <<> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:30:03 GMT, Satan's Little Sister
> <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:43:20 -0700, >>,<<>>>'> wrote:
>>
>>>How is 939 going to last all that long if dual core cpu's are coming
>>>out next year ?
>>
>>Dual core K8 chips will be interchangeable with the single core ones.
>>Assuming they make some for socket 939 (current plan is just s940),
>>all you will need is a BIOS update.
>

> Sounds good to me ;)
>
> That's the first good reason I've heard to wait for a 939 motherboard.

Certainly in terms of future upgrades s939 looks great .... until one starts
thinking about PCI-X then again how long before this tech shows a real
improvement over current AGP cards? So I think I'll still go with the s754
platform unless or until AMD release cheaper CPU's s939.

In the end price is the bottom line s939 is highly desirable but just out of
the question with the high price of the CPU's. Then again there's the highly
overclockable Athlon mobile's for socket A ..... ok, ok I'll stop there :eek:>

BillL

BillL

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:30:14 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
<billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>thinking about PCI-X then again how long before this tech shows a real
>improvement over current AGP cards?

Are you thinkin PCI-X or PCI-E? :)

I don't know what idiot named the new PCI-Express, but I'd have
thought the likelihood of confusion to be obvious.

There's nothing like the support call from someone who spent $500 on a
PCI-X server board and can't figure where to plug in their brand new
$500 PCI-E graphics cards.

--
sls

"Satan's Little Sister" <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:30:14 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
> <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>thinking about PCI-X then again how long before this tech shows a real
>>improvement over current AGP cards?
>
> Are you thinkin PCI-X or PCI-E? :)
>
> I don't know what idiot named the new PCI-Express, but I'd have
> thought the likelihood of confusion to be obvious.
>
> There's nothing like the support call from someone who spent $500 on a
> PCI-X server board and can't figure where to plug in their brand new
> $500 PCI-E graphics cards.
>
> --
> sls

Errr good point .... I *think* I mean PCI-E but I could be wrong ;o)

Still at least I don't think the CD trays a cup holder .... the one on the
DVD writer is *much* better at the job ....

BillL

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:44:50 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
<billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Still at least I don't think the CD trays a cup holder .... the one on the
>DVD writer is *much* better at the job ....

Lol. A real geek would combined an optical drive with a peltier. That
way your cupholder can keep your coffee hot or your Red Bull cold.

--
sls

geoff

Satan's Little Sister wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:44:50 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
> <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Still at least I don't think the CD trays a cup holder .... the one
>> on the DVD writer is *much* better at the job ....
>
> Lol. A real geek would combined an optical drive with a peltier. That
> way your cupholder can keep your coffee hot or your Red Bull cold.

hey cool idea, i'll get right on it
:)

danb

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2003

I got my Barton 2500+ like 5 or maybe 6 months ago, does that mean i got a
multi-locked one, and whats this mobile barton i hear about? i thought
mobile was used in laptops?
"Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello all
>
> Was going to upgrade my current rig (Barton 2800+ [multi-locked], Gigabyte
> 7N400 Pro, 9700 np 1 GB PC3200 RAM) to a s754 with A64 2800+ or 3000+.
Then
> I saw that there are some 939 boards out and thought I'd look at the price
> of the CPU's - bit of a shock even ignoring the FX chips.
>
> So are AMD going to bring slower, cheaper A64 CPU's to the 939 platform or
> am I better off just going for a 754 board now?
>
> Alternativly I'd *consider* getting an, unlocked, Mobile XP and/or
upgrading
> the GPU - how would this equate to the the performance of say an AMD64
> 2800/3000 with my current 9700 (though the UG path from this would be
> limited to sat the least)?
>
> BTW I'm just starting to see some performance issues with Far Cry & GC II
> (only when there's lots going on but still ... ) so I'm fairly concerned
> about how Doom III & HL2 are going to run on my current rig.
>
> TIA
>
> BillL

The mobile XP's run at a default 1.45 volts and are unlocked - the Mobile
XP2500+ is a really good overclocker apparantly - this is all on the Socket
A platform btw.

I can't remember the exact date from which AMD started locking the desktop
CPU's but it was sometime during 2003.

HTH

BillL
"DanB" <danbnotme@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I got my Barton 2500+ like 5 or maybe 6 months ago, does that mean i got a
> multi-locked one, and whats this mobile barton i hear about? i thought
> mobile was used in laptops?
> "Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hello all
>>
>> Was going to upgrade my current rig (Barton 2800+ [multi-locked],
>> Gigabyte
>> 7N400 Pro, 9700 np 1 GB PC3200 RAM) to a s754 with A64 2800+ or 3000+.
> Then
>> I saw that there are some 939 boards out and thought I'd look at the
>> price
>> of the CPU's - bit of a shock even ignoring the FX chips.
>>
>> So are AMD going to bring slower, cheaper A64 CPU's to the 939 platform
>> or
>> am I better off just going for a 754 board now?
>>
>> Alternativly I'd *consider* getting an, unlocked, Mobile XP and/or
> upgrading
>> the GPU - how would this equate to the the performance of say an AMD64
>> 2800/3000 with my current 9700 (though the UG path from this would be
>> limited to sat the least)?
>>
>> BTW I'm just starting to see some performance issues with Far Cry & GC II
>> (only when there's lots going on but still ... ) so I'm fairly concerned
>> about how Doom III & HL2 are going to run on my current rig.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> BillL

"Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
> The mobile XP's run at a default 1.45 volts
Except for the 35w ones, which are 1.35.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

About week 39 i think
Smiffy

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

> "Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
>> The mobile XP's run at a default 1.45 volts
> Except for the 35w ones, which are 1.35.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

Thanks for the update - I didn't know there were 1.35 v ones ...

BillL

> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
> >> The mobile XP's run at a default 1.45 volts
> > Except for the 35w ones, which are 1.35.
> Thanks for the update - I didn't know there were 1.35 v ones ...

I've just installed a 35w 2200+ in my kt400. The board has no o/c features,
so I'm using the wires-in-the-socket pin mods. For my first go I set the fsb
to 166/333 and pin modded to 1660 mhz. It fired up fine and is happy. It is
running at 5.5 volts.

I plan to take it up to 2150 at 5.5 next. According to newegg user reviews,
that should work dandy. This will be my first o/c !!!

Compared to my previous Tbred A 2000+ at 1666, my cpu temps have dropped 7C
to 35, and as a result, my HD temps are now 13 and 23 instead of 24 and 32.

In Aquamark the cpu score went up 11% -- I assume due to the Barton and the
333 fsb.

Really neat!

Putting those little wires in is just a trial. They're single strands, and
easy to drop and hard to see. Once you get the hang of it, they fall right
in. You've got to keep a hard grip on the tweezers until they are in
position.

I had used Arctic Alumina and though it runs 1C hotter than Silver, it came
off from the old cpu really easily.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Ed Light" wrote
> Compared to my previous Tbred A 2000+ at 1666, my cpu temps have dropped
7C
> to 35, and as a result, my HD temps are now 13 and 23 instead of 24 and
32.

Make that HD's at 18 and 29.

--
Ed Light