s939 any news on cheaper CPU's?

Hello all

Was going to upgrade my current rig (Barton 2800+ [multi-locked], Gigabyte
7N400 Pro, 9700 np 1 GB PC3200 RAM) to a s754 with A64 2800+ or 3000+. Then
I saw that there are some 939 boards out and thought I'd look at the price
of the CPU's - bit of a shock even ignoring the FX chips.

So are AMD going to bring slower, cheaper A64 CPU's to the 939 platform or
am I better off just going for a 754 board now?

Alternativly I'd *consider* getting an, unlocked, Mobile XP and/or upgrading
the GPU - how would this equate to the the performance of say an AMD64
2800/3000 with my current 9700 (though the UG path from this would be
limited to sat the least)?

BTW I'm just starting to see some performance issues with Far Cry & GC II
(only when there's lots going on but still ... ) so I'm fairly concerned
about how Doom III & HL2 are going to run on my current rig.

TIA

BillL
21 answers Last reply
More about s939 news cheaper

    How is 939 going to last all that long if dual core cpu's are coming
    out next year ?

    I was surprised at the low prices on the 754 cpu's. I'd buy a cheap
    one and pick up a faster cpu in a year or two at close out prices.
    I think MSI has a nice nforce3 250gb motherboard.

    Oh, and check out the thermalright 120mm fan heatsink. 5 heat pipes.

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:31:24 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
    <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hello all
    >
    >Was going to upgrade my current rig (Barton 2800+ [multi-locked], Gigabyte
    >7N400 Pro, 9700 np 1 GB PC3200 RAM) to a s754 with A64 2800+ or 3000+. Then
    >I saw that there are some 939 boards out and thought I'd look at the price
    >of the CPU's - bit of a shock even ignoring the FX chips.
    >
    >So are AMD going to bring slower, cheaper A64 CPU's to the 939 platform or
    >am I better off just going for a 754 board now?
    >
    >Alternativly I'd *consider* getting an, unlocked, Mobile XP and/or upgrading
    >the GPU - how would this equate to the the performance of say an AMD64
    >2800/3000 with my current 9700 (though the UG path from this would be
    >limited to sat the least)?
    >
    >BTW I'm just starting to see some performance issues with Far Cry & GC II
    >(only when there's lots going on but still ... ) so I'm fairly concerned
    >about how Doom III & HL2 are going to run on my current rig.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >BillL

    I agree with you on the price of the 939 CPU's. I think that we have all got
    used to them being a lot cheaper
    <casts mind back to what I paid for my 486 DX2 66 CPU>
    Even though your CPU is locked there is still the FSB, as you know, that can
    be used to get a little more out of it, if you think that it is needed.
    I suppose the cheapest "upgrade" would be the mobile CPU but I think that
    you realise already that it really isn't going to offer you "that" much more
    than you have got now in practical terms, depending how deep your pockets
    are though.

    My friend has just got an ATI XT800 and he is running it with his
    overclocked XP1700 (ran at 12x200) and as an example his 3D mark 2003 score
    is over 12,000. Reading from the link below it suggests that the CPU
    scalability of these cards is no longer as big a factor as it was previously
    (at higher resolutions), and since you mention a couple of games as a reason
    for your upgrade it might be worth noting that more would be gained (with
    deep pockets) from such a beast of a card than a new motherboard, cpu and
    possibly memory - if yours doesn't work with a 64 bit CPU.

    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/x800_pro_athlon_xp/page16.asp

    As for Doom 3 and HL2. Well Doom 3 is out soon and so speculation will no
    longer be a factor - so you can try it out. HL2 - well by the time that it
    finally does come out the XT800's and the 6800's will be around half the
    price that they are now ;~)

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    Hard drive noisy....
    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

    The 939 CPU's are suppose to drop in price the first of August,and then again
    in late August. Heres a link to some more info.
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1038/

    Go look at anandtech hotdeals forum. A couple threads on massive 939 cpu
    pricecuts. They become official next week, but are hitting already. See
    newegg 3400+ or 3500+ for example.

    rms

    "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
    > Go look at anandtech hotdeals forum. A couple threads on massive 939 cpu
    > pricecuts. They become official next week, but are hitting already. See
    > newegg 3400+ or 3500+ for example.
    >
    > rms

    Thanks all, good info.

    The latest & greatest is out of my price range (still there's always the
    credit card ... ;o). At the moment I think I'd be looking to get a 754 mobo
    (the MSI & Epox N3 250GB boards both look good) and, probably, an A64 3000+
    and upgrading the GPU in around 4 - 6 months. The one thing that would
    change this would be *if* the above price CPU price cuts are significant
    (i.e. I could afford one - the mobos are already affordable imo).

    Cheers

    Billl

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:43:20 -0700, >>,<<>>>'> wrote:

    >How is 939 going to last all that long if dual core cpu's are coming
    >out next year ?

    Dual core K8 chips will be interchangeable with the single core ones.
    Assuming they make some for socket 939 (current plan is just s940),
    all you will need is a BIOS update.

    --
    sls

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:57:58 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
    <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Thanks all, good info.
    >
    >The latest & greatest is out of my price range (still there's always the
    >credit card ... ;o). At the moment I think I'd be looking to get a 754 mobo
    >(the MSI & Epox N3 250GB boards both look good) and, probably, an A64 3000+
    >and upgrading the GPU in around 4 - 6 months. The one thing that would
    >change this would be *if* the above price CPU price cuts are significant
    >(i.e. I could afford one - the mobos are already affordable imo).

    I just saw a new Asus socket 754 nforce3 250gb motherboard at a local
    store. Might be good...
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:30:03 GMT, Satan's Little Sister
    <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote:

    >On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:43:20 -0700, >>,<<>>>'> wrote:
    >
    >>How is 939 going to last all that long if dual core cpu's are coming
    >>out next year ?
    >
    >Dual core K8 chips will be interchangeable with the single core ones.
    >Assuming they make some for socket 939 (current plan is just s940),
    >all you will need is a BIOS update.

    Sounds good to me ;)

    That's the first good reason I've heard to wait for a 939 motherboard.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 04:37:38 -0700, wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:30:03 GMT, Satan's Little Sister
    > <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:43:20 -0700, >>,<<>>>'> wrote:
    >>
    >>>How is 939 going to last all that long if dual core cpu's are coming
    >>>out next year ?
    >>
    >>Dual core K8 chips will be interchangeable with the single core ones.
    >>Assuming they make some for socket 939 (current plan is just s940),
    >>all you will need is a BIOS update.
    >

    > Sounds good to me ;)
    >
    > That's the first good reason I've heard to wait for a 939 motherboard.

    My guess is you'll be waiting a long time for a dual core cpu for 939,
    like forever.:-)

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    <>>>; ">>'>" <<> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:30:03 GMT, Satan's Little Sister
    > <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 06:43:20 -0700, >>,<<>>>'> wrote:
    >>
    >>>How is 939 going to last all that long if dual core cpu's are coming
    >>>out next year ?
    >>
    >>Dual core K8 chips will be interchangeable with the single core ones.
    >>Assuming they make some for socket 939 (current plan is just s940),
    >>all you will need is a BIOS update.
    >

    > Sounds good to me ;)
    >
    > That's the first good reason I've heard to wait for a 939 motherboard.

    Certainly in terms of future upgrades s939 looks great .... until one starts
    thinking about PCI-X then again how long before this tech shows a real
    improvement over current AGP cards? So I think I'll still go with the s754
    platform unless or until AMD release cheaper CPU's s939.

    In the end price is the bottom line s939 is highly desirable but just out of
    the question with the high price of the CPU's. Then again there's the highly
    overclockable Athlon mobile's for socket A ..... ok, ok I'll stop there :o>

    BillL

    BillL
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:30:14 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
    <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >thinking about PCI-X then again how long before this tech shows a real
    >improvement over current AGP cards?

    Are you thinkin PCI-X or PCI-E? :-)

    I don't know what idiot named the new PCI-Express, but I'd have
    thought the likelihood of confusion to be obvious.

    There's nothing like the support call from someone who spent $500 on a
    PCI-X server board and can't figure where to plug in their brand new
    $500 PCI-E graphics cards.

    --
    sls
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Satan's Little Sister" <littlesisterNO@SPAMsofthome.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:30:14 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
    > <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>thinking about PCI-X then again how long before this tech shows a real
    >>improvement over current AGP cards?
    >
    > Are you thinkin PCI-X or PCI-E? :-)
    >
    > I don't know what idiot named the new PCI-Express, but I'd have
    > thought the likelihood of confusion to be obvious.
    >
    > There's nothing like the support call from someone who spent $500 on a
    > PCI-X server board and can't figure where to plug in their brand new
    > $500 PCI-E graphics cards.
    >
    > --
    > sls

    Errr good point .... I *think* I mean PCI-E but I could be wrong ;o)

    Still at least I don't think the CD trays a cup holder .... the one on the
    DVD writer is *much* better at the job ....

    BillL
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:44:50 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
    <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Still at least I don't think the CD trays a cup holder .... the one on the
    >DVD writer is *much* better at the job ....

    Lol. A real geek would combined an optical drive with a peltier. That
    way your cupholder can keep your coffee hot or your Red Bull cold.

    --
    sls
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Satan's Little Sister wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:44:50 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
    > <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Still at least I don't think the CD trays a cup holder .... the one
    >> on the DVD writer is *much* better at the job ....
    >
    > Lol. A real geek would combined an optical drive with a peltier. That
    > way your cupholder can keep your coffee hot or your Red Bull cold.

    hey cool idea, i'll get right on it
    :)
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    I got my Barton 2500+ like 5 or maybe 6 months ago, does that mean i got a
    multi-locked one, and whats this mobile barton i hear about? i thought
    mobile was used in laptops?
    "Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hello all
    >
    > Was going to upgrade my current rig (Barton 2800+ [multi-locked], Gigabyte
    > 7N400 Pro, 9700 np 1 GB PC3200 RAM) to a s754 with A64 2800+ or 3000+.
    Then
    > I saw that there are some 939 boards out and thought I'd look at the price
    > of the CPU's - bit of a shock even ignoring the FX chips.
    >
    > So are AMD going to bring slower, cheaper A64 CPU's to the 939 platform or
    > am I better off just going for a 754 board now?
    >
    > Alternativly I'd *consider* getting an, unlocked, Mobile XP and/or
    upgrading
    > the GPU - how would this equate to the the performance of say an AMD64
    > 2800/3000 with my current 9700 (though the UG path from this would be
    > limited to sat the least)?
    >
    > BTW I'm just starting to see some performance issues with Far Cry & GC II
    > (only when there's lots going on but still ... ) so I'm fairly concerned
    > about how Doom III & HL2 are going to run on my current rig.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > BillL

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    The mobile XP's run at a default 1.45 volts and are unlocked - the Mobile
    XP2500+ is a really good overclocker apparantly - this is all on the Socket
    A platform btw.

    I can't remember the exact date from which AMD started locking the desktop
    CPU's but it was sometime during 2003.

    HTH

    BillL
    "DanB" <danbnotme@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I got my Barton 2500+ like 5 or maybe 6 months ago, does that mean i got a
    > multi-locked one, and whats this mobile barton i hear about? i thought
    > mobile was used in laptops?
    > "Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hello all
    >>
    >> Was going to upgrade my current rig (Barton 2800+ [multi-locked],
    >> Gigabyte
    >> 7N400 Pro, 9700 np 1 GB PC3200 RAM) to a s754 with A64 2800+ or 3000+.
    > Then
    >> I saw that there are some 939 boards out and thought I'd look at the
    >> price
    >> of the CPU's - bit of a shock even ignoring the FX chips.
    >>
    >> So are AMD going to bring slower, cheaper A64 CPU's to the 939 platform
    >> or
    >> am I better off just going for a 754 board now?
    >>
    >> Alternativly I'd *consider* getting an, unlocked, Mobile XP and/or
    > upgrading
    >> the GPU - how would this equate to the the performance of say an AMD64
    >> 2800/3000 with my current 9700 (though the UG path from this would be
    >> limited to sat the least)?
    >>
    >> BTW I'm just starting to see some performance issues with Far Cry & GC II
    >> (only when there's lots going on but still ... ) so I'm fairly concerned
    >> about how Doom III & HL2 are going to run on my current rig.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> BillL

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
    > The mobile XP's run at a default 1.45 volts
    Except for the 35w ones, which are 1.35.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    About week 39 i think
    Smiffy

    > The mobile XP's run at a default 1.45 volts and are unlocked - the Mobile
    > XP2500+ is a really good overclocker apparantly - this is all on the
    Socket
    > A platform btw.
    >
    > I can't remember the exact date from which AMD started locking the desktop
    > CPU's but it was sometime during 2003.
    >
    > HTH
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

    > "Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
    >> The mobile XP's run at a default 1.45 volts
    > Except for the 35w ones, which are 1.35.
    >

    > --
    > Ed Light
    >
    > Smiley :-/
    > MS Smiley :-\
    >
    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > Thanks, robots.

    Thanks for the update - I didn't know there were 1.35 v ones ...

    BillL
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
    > >> The mobile XP's run at a default 1.45 volts
    > > Except for the 35w ones, which are 1.35.
    > Thanks for the update - I didn't know there were 1.35 v ones ...

    I've just installed a 35w 2200+ in my kt400. The board has no o/c features,
    so I'm using the wires-in-the-socket pin mods. For my first go I set the fsb
    to 166/333 and pin modded to 1660 mhz. It fired up fine and is happy. It is
    running at 5.5 volts.

    I plan to take it up to 2150 at 5.5 next. According to newegg user reviews,
    that should work dandy. This will be my first o/c !!!

    Compared to my previous Tbred A 2000+ at 1666, my cpu temps have dropped 7C
    to 35, and as a result, my HD temps are now 13 and 23 instead of 24 and 32.

    In Aquamark the cpu score went up 11% -- I assume due to the Barton and the
    333 fsb.

    Really neat!

    Putting those little wires in is just a trial. They're single strands, and
    easy to drop and hard to see. Once you get the hang of it, they fall right
    in. You've got to keep a hard grip on the tweezers until they are in
    position.

    I had used Arctic Alumina and though it runs 1C hotter than Silver, it came
    off from the old cpu really easily.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Ed Light" wrote
    > Compared to my previous Tbred A 2000+ at 1666, my cpu temps have dropped
    7C
    > to 35, and as a result, my HD temps are now 13 and 23 instead of 24 and
    32.

    Make that HD's at 18 and 29.

    --
    Ed Light