Ad Hoc or Acces Point

Hi,

I already have a 3-PC wired network which works perfectly. Now I need to
complicate my life a little and want to venture into the world of wireless
networking. Actually, this has come about because I've just ordered a new
Centrino laptop so it makes sens to take advantage of its wireless
networking feature. For the other 2 PCs, I have purchased wirelss cards, one
for the curent host and one for the old laptop. I was also going to buy
either an acces point or a DSL modem/router when I saw on Practically
Networked that the network cards can communicate between each other ("Ad
Hoc") without an access point or router.

Now, this seems too good to be true so I wonder whether anyone could advise
me of the pros and cons of doing this or give me a link to a site with the
right info.

Also, would setting up a wireless LAN in this way (or any other way for the
mattter) upset the existing wired network settings, ie if I foul up the new
wireless LAN, would I be able to go back to the wired LAN, or would the new
LAN overwrite the old ?

Thanks

--
Peter Kennedy
------------------------

An AD-HOC network will only work between two wireless computers, so what you
want to do will not work. The easiest thing for you to do would be to
purchase a wireless router and connect your DSL modem into the Router. This
will automate everything for you as much as possible.

I would advise against purchasing a all-in-one dsl modem/router because if
one part fails in the future then you will be SOL.

As far as your LAN settings, they will be fine as your wired NICs will not
be used in your wireless network.

Robert.....

"Pete Kennedy" <peterkennedy@nahhhh.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I already have a 3-PC wired network which works perfectly. Now I need to
> complicate my life a little and want to venture into the world of wireless
> networking. Actually, this has come about because I've just ordered a new
> Centrino laptop so it makes sens to take advantage of its wireless
> networking feature. For the other 2 PCs, I have purchased wirelss cards,
> one
> for the curent host and one for the old laptop. I was also going to buy
> either an acces point or a DSL modem/router when I saw on Practically
> Networked that the network cards can communicate between each other ("Ad
> Hoc") without an access point or router.
>
> Now, this seems too good to be true so I wonder whether anyone could
> advise
> me of the pros and cons of doing this or give me a link to a site with the
> right info.
>
> Also, would setting up a wireless LAN in this way (or any other way for
> the
> mattter) upset the existing wired network settings, ie if I foul up the
> new
> wireless LAN, would I be able to go back to the wired LAN, or would the
> new
> LAN overwrite the old ?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Peter Kennedy
> ------------------------

Quintin

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004

you are going to be workign in what is called a star topology
http://doit.ort.org/course/networks/30.htm

The introduction of wireless will not in any way interfear with your current
setup other than adding wireless capabilities. I suggest getting yourself a
wireless router, and depending on your household or environmental arrangement
you will need to decide how strong a signal you need (as most routers do not
have very good signal strength

it is pretty easy to set up a wireless network. I know i say it a lot but
the best program for helping beginners with a network is Network Magic...

if you want to share an internet connection over it, and ytou want the
Internet to work even when the computer your router is connected to is off
you may want to look at something like DSL-604+

Hope that helps

Cheers

Quintin
MVP wannabe

"Pete Kennedy" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I already have a 3-PC wired network which works perfectly. Now I need to
> complicate my life a little and want to venture into the world of wireless
> networking. Actually, this has come about because I've just ordered a new
> Centrino laptop so it makes sens to take advantage of its wireless
> networking feature. For the other 2 PCs, I have purchased wirelss cards, one
> for the curent host and one for the old laptop. I was also going to buy
> either an acces point or a DSL modem/router when I saw on Practically
> Networked that the network cards can communicate between each other ("Ad
> Hoc") without an access point or router.
>
> Now, this seems too good to be true so I wonder whether anyone could advise
> me of the pros and cons of doing this or give me a link to a site with the
> right info.
>
> Also, would setting up a wireless LAN in this way (or any other way for the
> mattter) upset the existing wired network settings, ie if I foul up the new
> wireless LAN, would I be able to go back to the wired LAN, or would the new
> LAN overwrite the old ?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Peter Kennedy
> ------------------------

Thanks for your quick response ! So wireless ad hoc is the equivalent of a
wired crossover cable connection ?

Microsoft appears to give the impression that several computers can be
linked via an ad hoc connection. See the last paragraph on the following
page
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
mspx?pf=true

I thought it had something to do with the quality of the connection. Anyway,
if an access point is what I need, I'd better go for it !

Thanks

Peter

"DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
uSm3bQkRFHA.3972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> An AD-HOC network will only work between two wireless computers, so what
you
> want to do will not work. The easiest thing for you to do would be to
> purchase a wireless router and connect your DSL modem into the Router.
This
> will automate everything for you as much as possible.
>
> I would advise against purchasing a all-in-one dsl modem/router because if
> one part fails in the future then you will be SOL.
>
> As far as your LAN settings, they will be fine as your wired NICs will not
> be used in your wireless network.
>
> Robert.....
>
> "Pete Kennedy" <peterkennedy@nahhhh.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I already have a 3-PC wired network which works perfectly. Now I need to
> > complicate my life a little and want to venture into the world of
wireless
> > networking. Actually, this has come about because I've just ordered a
new
> > Centrino laptop so it makes sens to take advantage of its wireless
> > networking feature. For the other 2 PCs, I have purchased wirelss cards,
> > one
> > for the curent host and one for the old laptop. I was also going to buy
> > either an acces point or a DSL modem/router when I saw on Practically
> > Networked that the network cards can communicate between each other ("Ad
> > Hoc") without an access point or router.
> >
> > Now, this seems too good to be true so I wonder whether anyone could
> > advise
> > me of the pros and cons of doing this or give me a link to a site with
the
> > right info.
> >
> > Also, would setting up a wireless LAN in this way (or any other way for
> > the
> > mattter) upset the existing wired network settings, ie if I foul up the
> > new
> > wireless LAN, would I be able to go back to the wired LAN, or would the
> > new
> > LAN overwrite the old ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Peter Kennedy
> > ------------------------

Yes...An AD-HOC network is the wireless equivelant of two computers
connected via crossover cable. The article does seem to suggest it, but it
does not work that way, sorry...... There is a way to turn an Ad-HOC network
into what is calles a MANET. check this link out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_ad-hoc_network#What_is_MANET.3F

> [...]
>> > one
>> > for the curent host and one for the old laptop. I was also going to buy
>> > either an acces point or a DSL modem/router when I saw on Practically
>> > Networked that the network cards can communicate between each other
>> > ("Ad
>> > Hoc") without an access point or router.
>> >
>> > Now, this seems too good to be true so I wonder whether anyone could
>> > advise
>> > me of the pros and cons of doing this or give me a link to a site with
> the
>> > right info.
>> >
>> > Also, would setting up a wireless LAN in this way (or any other way for
>> > the
>> > mattter) upset the existing wired network settings, ie if I foul up the
>> > new
>> > wireless LAN, would I be able to go back to the wired LAN, or would the

Thanks,

However, by going for a dsl modem/router, aren't I putting all my eggs into
the same basket ? Some appear to advise a separate access point. Also, I've
heard the wireless signal from routers is weak compared to APs. Its all a
little confusing.....

Cheers

Peter

"Quintin" <Quintin@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: 38DF8FD0-2931-4846-85F3-AA36DAA2C88A@microsoft.com...
> you are going to be workign in what is called a star topology
> http://doit.ort.org/course/networks/30.htm
>
> The introduction of wireless will not in any way interfear with your
current
> setup other than adding wireless capabilities. I suggest getting yourself
> wireless router, and depending on your household or environmental
arrangement
> you will need to decide how strong a signal you need (as most routers do
not
> have very good signal strength
>
> it is pretty easy to set up a wireless network. I know i say it a lot but
> the best program for helping beginners with a network is Network Magic...
>
> if you want to share an internet connection over it, and ytou want the
> Internet to work even when the computer your router is connected to is off
> you may want to look at something like DSL-604+
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Cheers
>
> Quintin
> MVP wannabe
>
> "Pete Kennedy" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I already have a 3-PC wired network which works perfectly. Now I need to
> > complicate my life a little and want to venture into the world of
wireless
> > networking. Actually, this has come about because I've just ordered a
new
> > Centrino laptop so it makes sens to take advantage of its wireless
> > networking feature. For the other 2 PCs, I have purchased wirelss cards,
one
> > for the curent host and one for the old laptop. I was also going to buy
> > either an acces point or a DSL modem/router when I saw on Practically
> > Networked that the network cards can communicate between each other ("Ad
> > Hoc") without an access point or router.
> >
> > Now, this seems too good to be true so I wonder whether anyone could
advise
> > me of the pros and cons of doing this or give me a link to a site with
the
> > right info.
> >
> > Also, would setting up a wireless LAN in this way (or any other way for
the
> > mattter) upset the existing wired network settings, ie if I foul up the
new
> > wireless LAN, would I be able to go back to the wired LAN, or would the
new
> > LAN overwrite the old ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Peter Kennedy
> > ------------------------

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

I use a D-Link DI624 wireless router and my signal reaches across the street
and down three houses. Low signal at that range, but still a usable
connection. Would that be enough signal strength for you? It includes four
wired ports so you can replace the hub or switch on your network.
Also a router includes a firewall and many other features not found on an
AP. Routers are usually cheaper than APs.

> [...]
> one
>> > for the curent host and one for the old laptop. I was also going to buy
>> > either an acces point or a DSL modem/router when I saw on Practically
>> > Networked that the network cards can communicate between each other
>> > ("Ad
>> > Hoc") without an access point or router.
>> >
>> > Now, this seems too good to be true so I wonder whether anyone could
> advise
>> > me of the pros and cons of doing this or give me a link to a site with
> the
>> > right info.
>> >
>> > Also, would setting up a wireless LAN in this way (or any other way for
> the
>> > mattter) upset the existing wired network settings, ie if I foul up the
> new
>> > wireless LAN, would I be able to go back to the wired LAN, or would the

Thanks,

I already have a software firewall that works really well. I've heard
routers cans mess things up - some applications get get through. As for
cost, this'll be set against the company's expenses anyway (I have a small
home-based business). I'm looking for simplicity really - originally setting
up the wired LAN was hell. I don't want to go through that again!

Cheers

Peter

"TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> a écrit dans le message de news:
OgHeaxlRFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I use a D-Link DI624 wireless router and my signal reaches across the
street
> and down three houses. Low signal at that range, but still a usable
> connection. Would that be enough signal strength for you? It includes four
> wired ports so you can replace the hub or switch on your network.
> Also a router includes a firewall and many other features not found on an
> AP. Routers are usually cheaper than APs.
>
> "Pete Kennedy" <peterkennedy@nahhhh.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks,
> >
> > However, by going for a dsl modem/router, aren't I putting all my eggs
> > into
> > the same basket ? Some appear to advise a separate access point. Also,
> > I've
> > heard the wireless signal from routers is weak compared to APs. Its all
> > little confusing.....
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > "Quintin" <Quintin@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > news: 38DF8FD0-2931-4846-85F3-AA36DAA2C88A@microsoft.com...
> >> you are going to be workign in what is called a star topology
> >> http://doit.ort.org/course/networks/30.htm
> >>
> >> The introduction of wireless will not in any way interfear with your
> > current
> >> setup other than adding wireless capabilities. I suggest getting
yourself
> >> wireless router, and depending on your household or environmental
> > arrangement
> >> you will need to decide how strong a signal you need (as most routers
do
> > not
> >> have very good signal strength
> >>
> >> it is pretty easy to set up a wireless network. I know i say it a lot
but
> >> the best program for helping beginners with a network is Network
Magic...

> >> if you want to share an internet connection over it, and ytou want the
> >> Internet to work even when the computer your router is connected to is
> >> off
> >> you may want to look at something like DSL-604+
> >>
> >> Hope that helps
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Quintin
> >> MVP wannabe

> > wireless
> > new
> > one

> > advise
> > the

> > the
> > new
> > new

Hi

There are a lot of stories. Most coming from people who do not know what they do or and
do not care to learn, or and afraid of changes.

Basically if the Hardware that you buy is a good Windows compatible hardware all of the
concern that you mentioned are None issue.

Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

Wireless - - http://www.ezlan.net/#Wireless

Cable/DSL Routers, NAT & Ports - http://www.ezlan.net/routers1.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).