Microsoft Charging OEMs $85 for Windows RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I don't belive this article, the price is too hight. Microsoft is trying hard to enter in to mobile market (this is the main reason for putting the metro UI in windows 8). They need developers attention to create applications for metro.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]mariusmotea[/nom]I don't belive this article, the price is too hight. Microsoft is trying hard to enter in to mobile market (this is the main reason for putting the metro UI in windows 8). They need developers attention to create applications for metro.[/citation]

I think the picture of Steve Balmer is enough to make this believable. ;)
Still unlikely that Microsoft would be this mad.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]That's still cheap considering it can run all x86 applicationsOh wait, it can't[/citation]
LOL
[citation][nom]vincentyu[/nom]It comes with Office suite. That's why it's expensive. I'll bet it'll be much cheaper without the Office suite.[/citation]
Win8RT comes with Office suite, there will not be a non-office version. What they need to do is have a 'home' and 'pro' version so that there can be cheap products for consumers, and then charge a little more for domain functionality and other business class services. Having a $100 OS will not make business buyers blink... but nobody is going to spend the same cash for a stripped down version of windows as they do for the real thing.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
This OS Will be all fail.

Who the hell would buy this over the "i" option?

Hell I don't like Apple, but I would buy an Ipad before I spent 700 dollars on this crap. Microsoft is ran by idiots. Its time to find a new OS for all my products... including the PC.

And yeah Metro is going to suck too.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom] Having a $100 OS will not make business buyers blink... but nobody is going to spend the same cash for a stripped down version of windows as they do for the real thing.[/citation]

I disagree. Businesses will be buying 1000s of tablets so the extra 100 apiece will add up. Additionally, this will price the product above the price of an Ipad. So the incentive will be to simply move to an all Apple product line, which is considered higher end anyway.

Or if the company is cheap (and why not be?) then they will move to an Android line and use free Google Office products.

element1981

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
There could be some sort of back end rebate for the device manufacturer that reduces the overall cost significantly, and it would likely be based on sales volume to create an incentive to sell the devices. Who knows? It would be ludicrous for them to charge that much for each individual license and not offer a program like that.

G

It's very cheap considering you get Office.
Perhaps they should do a cheaper light version without office.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]fightingslu[/nom]and this article is posted 13 hours after this article http://www.tomshardware.com/news/c [...] 15977.html which claims the windows 8 tablets to be iPad killers[/citation]
Windows 8 x86 tablets may have some potential, considering that they can do everything that a regular computer can.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]Windows 8 x86 tablets may have some potential, considering that they can do everything that a regular computer can.[/citation]

Can it bring me booze and chicks home?

[citation][nom]nikolayivanov321[/nom]Loving that pic though.[/citation]
Looks like Microsoft's Ballmer is taking a crap on the Consumers and in turn themselves.

I guess they haven't looked at the embedded costs for Apple and Google -- effectively $0. Therefore, that cost gets passed on... The literal $100 question is -- is a Windows Tablet 'worth' a $100 more than either the iPad, Android or Chrome OS Tablets??

The answer in my Home or Office is no, hell no, and I hope this info is pure rumor. I could see $10~$20 max and add-on charges for MS Office, etc.

[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]I'm surprised there are companies stupid enough to make Windows RT tablets instead of x86 ones.[/citation]

Now that's a good point. With Medfield, why make any ARM Windows tablets at all? MS could have simply spent the R&D money that they went to W8RT on a light Office and performance-optimized version of Windows Starter (well, if MS remembers how to optimize an OS much for performance). MS and Intel reportedly are making over a dozen tablet models soon, so what's with having RT as well? Does MS intend to compete with itself just as much as with it's other competitors?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
$600~1000 tablets? I sure don't want to see a post saying "Apple charges too much" ever again.

A month ago, I was sold on MS taking over the tablet/phone market with the tight connection between desktop/notebooktabletphone. With Metro a useless POS for desktop usage, the high price of Windows RT with $800~1000 hardware, a phone that very few people actually buy... a gaming market that is gutted by xbox consoles (I'll go Playstation 3/4)... for the most part...

Who the Frack really needs windows? Other than a launcher for Office 2010/2012? Office 365 will run on anything.

This is going to be fun to watch... either MS pulls a rabit out of their butt or that go done in flames trying.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]southerns[citation][nom]mariusmotea[/nom]I don't belive this article, the price is too hight. Microsoft is trying hard to enter in to mobile market [/citation] Its more than adding $100 to the price, its the more expensive parts (HD/SSD) that are required to run all the bloat.

In Dallas, a new iPad2 goes for $365 off the shelf... MS is going to throw a $750 tablet against that?

Status
Not open for further replies.