Overclocking memory for AMD 64 3200+

Hey guys,

I'm currently building my first scratch system and I have a couple of
questions about memory. First off I'll explain what I have so far.

AMD 64 3200+ processor
MSI K8N Neo w/ nVidia 250GB chipset
Gainward GeForce 5700 Ultra graphics card
Western Digital Raptor II 10k 74GB

And other stuff that is irrelavent. Anyway, I'm having trouble
deciding what memory to get. The board supports DDR400 as the
standard, however I have heard in every review of DDR500 being easily
achievable through overclocking. So should I just buy DDR500 memory?
Or if any of you know this motherboard better, do you suggest another
DDR rate? I haven't purchased the processor or graphics card yet, but
those are the ones I am planning on so far.

Thanks a bunch for your help,

Rich

Ed

On 26 Jul 2004 05:25:44 -0700, xodin@laww.biz (Rich Lowe) wrote:

>Hey guys,
>
>I'm currently building my first scratch system and I have a couple of
>questions about memory. First off I'll explain what I have so far.
>
>AMD 64 3200+ processor
>MSI K8N Neo w/ nVidia 250GB chipset
>Gainward GeForce 5700 Ultra graphics card
>Western Digital Raptor II 10k 74GB
>
>And other stuff that is irrelavent. Anyway, I'm having trouble
>deciding what memory to get. The board supports DDR400 as the
>standard, however I have heard in every review of DDR500 being easily
>achievable through overclocking. So should I just buy DDR500 memory?
>Or if any of you know this motherboard better, do you suggest another
>DDR rate? I haven't purchased the processor or graphics card yet, but
>those are the ones I am planning on so far.
>
>Thanks a bunch for your help,
>
>Rich

This works very well...
MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R
A64 3000+ @ 2200 (220x10, 1.55V)
2*512 Mushkin Level 1 PC3500 @ 2-3-3-7 / 2.65V

Ed

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 05:25:44 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:

> And other stuff that is irrelavent. Anyway, I'm having trouble
> deciding what memory to get. The board supports DDR400 as the
> standard, however I have heard in every review of DDR500 being easily
> achievable through overclocking. So should I just buy DDR500 memory?

Wel, something more than PC3200 anyway. PC4000 would probably work fine
for most overclocks. I'm using old PC3700 I had in my XP system, but I've
on;y gone to 215MHz system bus. The key is that faster memory will always
run at a slower rate, not true the other way around..:)

DDR 400 is the higest rated memory,there is higer speed memory but there is no
rating for it. that is why they they only rate the MB for 400 because thate
the highest rated memory.

> Wel, something more than PC3200 anyway. PC4000 would probably work fine
> for most overclocks. I'm using old PC3700 I had in my XP system, but I've
> on;y gone to 215MHz system bus.

Ok, cool, thanks for the help :)

> The key is that faster memory will always
> run at a slower rate, not true the other way around..:)

I'm not sure what you meant about this?

Rich

courseyauto@aol.com (Courseyauto) wrote in message news:<20040726183335.12238.00002578@mb-m01.aol.com>...
> DDR 400 is the higest rated memory,there is higer speed memory but there is no
> rating for it. that is why they they only rate the MB for 400 because thate
> the highest rated memory.

I see, so does that mean that I can use higher speed memory without
overclocking? Will there be any performance improvement?

What do you mean by no 'rating' for it? Other than DDRXXX or PCXXXX?

Thanks a bunch,

Rich

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:33:35 +0000, Courseyauto wrote:

> DDR 400 is the higest rated memory,there is higer speed memory but there is no
> rating for it. that is why they they only rate the MB for 400 because thate
> the highest rated memory.

I think you meant to say that's all the MB manufacuters rate there boards
for, not that that's the fastest memory there is. But it sure didn't read
that way to me.:)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:33:35 +0000, Courseyauto wrote:

> DDR 400 is the higest rated memory,there is higer speed memory but there is
no
> rating for it. that is why they they only rate the MB for 400 because thate
> the highest rated memory.

I think you meant to say that's all the MB manufacuters rate there boards
for, not that that's the fastest memory there is. But it sure didn't read
that way to me.:)

-------------

Rated is the wrong word,spec is the right word. DDR 3200-400 is the higest
speced memory. There is higher speed memory but no specification higher than
DDR 3200-400. Corsair has some DDR 3200 that will easily run at 450,with very
low latencies which is very important for these motherboards.

courseyauto@aol.com (Courseyauto) wrote in message
> DDR 400 is the higest rated memory,there is higer speed memory but there is
no
> rating for it. that is why they they only rate the MB for 400 because thate
> the highest rated memory.

I see, so does that mean that I can use higher speed memory without
overclocking? Will there be any performance improvement?

What do you mean by no 'rating' for it? Other than DDRXXX or PCXXXX?

Thanks a bunch,

Rich

-----------------------
The word should be spec not rate. Yes can run faster memory but unless you
overclock the CPU it wont run any faster. If run a 200 FSB the memory runs at
400 even if it's 450 memory. You would need to run the FSB at 225 for the
memory to run at 450. The rating of the memory only tells what speed the
memory is capable of running ( usually),sometimes good memory will run higher
than it's rated. DOUG

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 03:13:59 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:

>> The key is that faster memory will always
>> run at a slower rate, not true the other way around..:)
>
> I'm not sure what you meant about this?

It means that PC4400 ram will run on pc440, pc3700, pc3200, pc 2700,
pc2100 MB's while pc2100 own't run on any above PC2100 MB's (oveclocking
excluded. IOW's PC4400 ram is rated for DDR500 and anytihng below that
speed, while PC2100 ram is rated for DDR266, and anything below that
speed, but not above. Clearer?

> It means that PC4400 ram will run on pc440, pc3700, pc3200, pc 2700,
> pc2100 MB's while pc2100 own't run on any above PC2100 MB's (oveclocking
> excluded. IOW's PC4400 ram is rated for DDR500 and anytihng below that
> speed, while PC2100 ram is rated for DDR266, and anything below that
> speed, but not above. Clearer?

Yeah, thanks a bunch :)

Rich

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 03:13:59 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:
>
> >> The key is that faster memory will always
> >> run at a slower rate, not true the other way around..:)
> >
> > I'm not sure what you meant about this?
> >
> It means that PC4400 ram will run on pc440, pc3700, pc3200, pc 2700,
> pc2100 MB's while pc2100 own't run on any above PC2100 MB's (oveclocking
> excluded. IOW's PC4400 ram is rated for DDR500 and anytihng below that
> speed, while PC2100 ram is rated for DDR266, and anything below that
> speed, but not above. Clearer?

But will it work, setting up 500 mhz memory?

---

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:05:43 +0200, Hannes Ellerbrock wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> It means that PC4400 ram will run on pc440, pc3700, pc3200, pc 2700,
>> pc2100 MB's while pc2100 own't run on any above PC2100 MB's (oveclocking
>> excluded. IOW's PC4400 ram is rated for DDR500 and anytihng below that
>> speed, while PC2100 ram is rated for DDR266, and anything below that
>> speed, but not above. Clearer?
>
> But will it work, setting up 500 mhz memory?

There is no 500MHz memory. D0 you mean DDR500 (250MHz). Should work on any
board as long as you don't try to go faster than 250MHz on the bus.
Remeber, these ratings are the MAX speed ratings for the ram. Not what you
have to run them at. If t were, none of my systems would work since I
always buy faster ram than the board supports.

Tim

"Rich Lowe" <xodin@laww.biz> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm currently building my first scratch system and I have a couple of
> questions about memory. First off I'll explain what I have so far.
>
> AMD 64 3200+ processor
> MSI K8N Neo w/ nVidia 250GB chipset
> Gainward GeForce 5700 Ultra graphics card
> Western Digital Raptor II 10k 74GB
>
> And other stuff that is irrelavent. Anyway, I'm having trouble
> deciding what memory to get. The board supports DDR400 as the
> standard, however I have heard in every review of DDR500 being easily
> achievable through overclocking. So should I just buy DDR500 memory?
> Or if any of you know this motherboard better, do you suggest another
> DDR rate? I haven't purchased the processor or graphics card yet, but
> those are the ones I am planning on so far.
>
> Thanks a bunch for your help,
>
> Rich

Remember on the amd athelon 64 speed of the momory is not controlled by the
mobo the memory controller is in the cpu

> Remember on the amd athelon 64 speed of the momory is not controlled by the
> mobo the memory controller is in the cpu

Ahh, I see, well that makes sense. Thanks a bunch.

Rich

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:37:14 -0500, Tim wrote:

> Remember on the amd athelon 64 speed of the momory is not controlled by the
> mobo the memory controller is in the cpu

It's still controller by the MB. The MB sets the clock.