2nd SATA not showing up in My Computer

Hello:

I have just installed an second SATA 200GB hard drive (Seagate Barracuda
200.0GB ST3200822AS) but it is not showing up like a normal drive in My
Computer.

The weird thing is that it has been detected by my motherboard and Windows
XP Device Manager, which has it listed as "working properly". Going into the
Properties of the 200.0GB drive, the "Populate" button under "Volume" pulls
up the hard drive's status flawlessly. However, no volume(s) are listed.

My primary hard drive is a Seagate SATA 80.0GB, and it has been working
flawlessly since I purchased my new computer.

Could it be that I have not formatted my new hard drive? How can I format it
if it is not listed?

I have thought about jumper settings, but SATA drives do not seem to deal
with jumpers like IDE drives.
2 answers Last reply
More about sata showing computer

    Boot to xp cd,press F6 ,recovery,press enter for password,then type:DiskPart
    In DiskPart,create a partition for the drive,then press Esc key,then type:
    FORMAT D: /FS:ntfs D: being the new drive.When its thru type:EXIT Let xp
    start up.

    "antaresprime" wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > I have just installed an second SATA 200GB hard drive (Seagate Barracuda
    > 200.0GB ST3200822AS) but it is not showing up like a normal drive in My
    > Computer.
    >
    > The weird thing is that it has been detected by my motherboard and Windows
    > XP Device Manager, which has it listed as "working properly". Going into the
    > Properties of the 200.0GB drive, the "Populate" button under "Volume" pulls
    > up the hard drive's status flawlessly. However, no volume(s) are listed.
    >
    > My primary hard drive is a Seagate SATA 80.0GB, and it has been working
    > flawlessly since I purchased my new computer.
    >
    > Could it be that I have not formatted my new hard drive? How can I format it
    > if it is not listed?
    >
    > I have thought about jumper settings, but SATA drives do not seem to deal
    > with jumpers like IDE drives.

    Disk Management
    Format etc

    "antaresprime" <antaresprime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have just installed an second SATA 200GB hard drive (Seagate Barracuda
    > 200.0GB ST3200822AS) but it is not showing up like a normal drive in My
    > Computer.
    >
    > The weird thing is that it has been detected by my motherboard and Windows
    > XP Device Manager, which has it listed as "working properly". Going into
    the
    > Properties of the 200.0GB drive, the "Populate" button under "Volume"
    pulls
    > up the hard drive's status flawlessly. However, no volume(s) are listed.
    >
    > My primary hard drive is a Seagate SATA 80.0GB, and it has been working
    > flawlessly since I purchased my new computer.
    >
    > Could it be that I have not formatted my new hard drive? How can I format
    it
    > if it is not listed?
    >
    > I have thought about jumper settings, but SATA drives do not seem to deal
    > with jumpers like IDE drives.

SATA Computers Hard Drives Windows XP