K8 boards Nforce3 vs Via K8T800

I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250) on the
K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better going a VIA
K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both chipset and care to
comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was planning on going over to an
Nforce3

Doug

geoff

Doug wrote:
> I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250)
> on the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better
> going a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both
> chipset and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was
> planning on going over to an Nforce3
>
> Doug

nf3 150 = no good
nf3 250 = good
via k8t800 = good
i know thats a bit too general, but thats the feeling i'm getting currently
also note nf4 in a few months, nf3 does not have soundstorm, nf4 will have
soundstorm 2
(that right ya?)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:25:31 +1000, Doug wrote:

> I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250) on the
> K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better going a VIA
> K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both chipset and care to
> comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was planning on going over to an
> Nforce3

In a nutshell, NF3-150, not good. NF3-250, good.

"Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Doug wrote:
> > I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250)
> > on the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better
> > going a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both
> > chipset and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was
> > planning on going over to an Nforce3
> >
> > Doug
>
> nf3 150 = no good
> nf3 250 = good
> via k8t800 = good
> i know thats a bit too general, but thats the feeling i'm getting
currently
> also note nf4 in a few months, nf3 does not have soundstorm, nf4 will have
> soundstorm 2
> (that right ya?)

I hear
k8t800pro = vgood (when compared)

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> nf3 150 = no good
> nf3 250 = good
> via k8t800 = good

Not all k8t800 have locked pci, which is essential. Anandtech just did
a review of one board that does have the locked pci, so take a look.

rms

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:29:49 +0100, Geoff wrote:

> Doug wrote:
>> I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250)
>> on the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better
>> going a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both
>> chipset and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was
>> planning on going over to an Nforce3
>>
>> Doug
>
> nf3 150 = no good
> nf3 250 = good
> via k8t800 = good
> i know thats a bit too general, but thats the feeling i'm getting currently
> also note nf4 in a few months, nf3 does not have soundstorm, nf4 will have
> soundstorm 2
> (that right ya?)

I'd only give the K8T800 an ok since it doesn't have a pci lock, the newer
one from vis does though (Pro model maybe?)

"Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Doug wrote:
> > I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250)
> > on the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better
> > going a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both
> > chipset and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was
> > planning on going over to an Nforce3
> >
> > Doug
>
> nf3 150 = no good
> nf3 250 = good
> via k8t800 = good
> i know thats a bit too general, but thats the feeling i'm getting
currently
> also note nf4 in a few months, nf3 does not have soundstorm, nf4 will have
> soundstorm 2
> (that right ya?)

Having a nforce3 chipset (250) MB, all I can say is
NF3 250 = Great

Very, very happy with is, I went from a NF2 chipset board....

Yada

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:25:31 +1000, "Doug" <doug657@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250) on the
>K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better going a VIA
>K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both chipset and care to
>comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was planning on going over to an
>Nforce3
>
>Doug

It's confusing if you're not on top if it.

Via K8T800 (first edition) was pretty good and nforce3 150 was pretty
bad.

However,

Nforce3 250gb is great, better than both first (K8T800) and second
(K8T800Pro) editions of the VIA chipset.

When in doubt get the Nvidia Nforce3 250gb chipset for AMD64.

Doug wrote:
> I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250) on
> the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better going
> a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both chipset
> and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was planning on
> going over to an Nforce3
>
> Doug

You may find this an interesting read:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2069

If you have an nForce2 and like, you should love the nForce3 250. Just
avoid the 150.

Also, you'll loose soundstorm, which is shame. Fixed on nForce4...

Ben

Ed

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:55:03 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Doug wrote:
>> I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250) on
>> the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better going
>> a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both chipset
>> and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was planning on
>> going over to an Nforce3
>>
>> Doug
>
>You may find this an interesting read:
>http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2069
>
>If you have an nForce2 and like, you should love the nForce3 250. Just
>avoid the 150.
>
>Also, you'll loose soundstorm, which is shame. Fixed on nForce4...
>
>Ben

I'm about to upgrade my Nf2/Barton to a Nf3-250/A64. Is there anything
else on Nf4 besides soundstorm, and when will those boards be out?

Cheers,
Ed

Ed wrote:
> I'm about to upgrade my Nf2/Barton to a Nf3-250/A64. Is there anything
> else on Nf4 besides soundstorm, and when will those boards be out?

Yeah, but rather than recall it all I'll send you to the source:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17058

No idea when. But then, you can always be waiting for something...

In my opinion, there are a lot of things happening right now, and I'm gonna
sit it out, probably wait for nF4, PCI-E, 939 and maybe BTX to come in. My
Barton is plenty fast for me right now, of course... I might change my mind
later on, depending on how long it all takes.

Having said that, if you're looking to go 64bit now, I don't think you could
beat a 754 chip, on nForce3 250 for those with some kind of cap to their
gaming budget. :p

Cheapest 939/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £250 + £135 for CPU+Board.
Cheapest 754/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £110 + £80

If you already have PC3200 thats a big difference.

Two prices cuts on 939 in a few days and at the end of Aug, apparently.

Ben

Ed

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:26:44 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Cheapest 939/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £250 + £135 for CPU+Board.
>Cheapest 754/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £110 + £80

Was looking at...
Chaintech VNF3-250 Retail - $88
Athlon 64 3200+ Retail - $221
free shipping, no tax.

>If you already have PC3200 thats a big difference.

I have 4 sticks of Corsair 256MB PC3200LL 2-2-2-6.
I assume the Nf3-250 has no problem running 3 dimms @ DDR400 speeds?
The MSI/VIA K8 boards I used to build a couple for friends only support
3 sticks at DDR 333 speeds.

>Two prices cuts on 939 in a few days and at the end of Aug, apparently.

>Ben

Cheers,
Ed

Ed wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:26:44 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Cheapest 939/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £250 + £135 for
>> CPU+Board. Cheapest 754/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £110 + £80
>
> Was looking at...
> Chaintech VNF3-250 Retail - $88
> Athlon 64 3200+ Retail - $221
> free shipping, no tax.
>

>> If you already have PC3200 thats a big difference.
>
> I have 4 sticks of Corsair 256MB PC3200LL 2-2-2-6.
> I assume the Nf3-250 has no problem running 3 dimms @ DDR400 speeds?
> The MSI/VIA K8 boards I used to build a couple for friends only support
> 3 sticks at DDR 333 speeds.

I would check that... it can be a pain on A64s - usually best to have 2
DIMMs at most.

Ben