K8 boards Nforce3 vs Via K8T800

I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250) on the
K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better going a VIA
K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both chipset and care to
comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was planning on going over to an
Nforce3

Doug
13 answers Last reply
More about boards nforce3 k8t800

    Doug wrote:
    > I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250)
    > on the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better
    > going a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both
    > chipset and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was
    > planning on going over to an Nforce3
    >
    > Doug

    nf3 150 = no good
    nf3 250 = good
    via k8t800 = good
    i know thats a bit too general, but thats the feeling i'm getting currently
    also note nf4 in a few months, nf3 does not have soundstorm, nf4 will have
    soundstorm 2
    (that right ya?)

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:25:31 +1000, Doug wrote:

    > I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250) on the
    > K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better going a VIA
    > K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both chipset and care to
    > comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was planning on going over to an
    > Nforce3

    In a nutshell, NF3-150, not good. NF3-250, good.

    "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Doug wrote:
    > > I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250)
    > > on the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better
    > > going a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both
    > > chipset and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was
    > > planning on going over to an Nforce3
    > >
    > > Doug
    >
    > nf3 150 = no good
    > nf3 250 = good
    > via k8t800 = good
    > i know thats a bit too general, but thats the feeling i'm getting
    currently
    > also note nf4 in a few months, nf3 does not have soundstorm, nf4 will have
    > soundstorm 2
    > (that right ya?)

    I hear
    k8t800pro = vgood (when compared)

    > nf3 150 = no good
    > nf3 250 = good
    > via k8t800 = good

    Not all k8t800 have locked pci, which is essential. Anandtech just did
    a review of one board that does have the locked pci, so take a look.

    rms

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:29:49 +0100, Geoff wrote:

    > Doug wrote:
    >> I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250)
    >> on the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better
    >> going a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both
    >> chipset and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was
    >> planning on going over to an Nforce3
    >>
    >> Doug
    >
    > nf3 150 = no good
    > nf3 250 = good
    > via k8t800 = good
    > i know thats a bit too general, but thats the feeling i'm getting currently
    > also note nf4 in a few months, nf3 does not have soundstorm, nf4 will have
    > soundstorm 2
    > (that right ya?)

    I'd only give the K8T800 an ok since it doesn't have a pci lock, the newer
    one from vis does though (Pro model maybe?)

    "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Doug wrote:
    > > I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250)
    > > on the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better
    > > going a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both
    > > chipset and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was
    > > planning on going over to an Nforce3
    > >
    > > Doug
    >
    > nf3 150 = no good
    > nf3 250 = good
    > via k8t800 = good
    > i know thats a bit too general, but thats the feeling i'm getting
    currently
    > also note nf4 in a few months, nf3 does not have soundstorm, nf4 will have
    > soundstorm 2
    > (that right ya?)

    Having a nforce3 chipset (250) MB, all I can say is
    NF3 250 = Great

    Very, very happy with is, I went from a NF2 chipset board....

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:25:31 +1000, "Doug" <doug657@ozemail.com.au>
    wrote:

    >I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250) on the
    >K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better going a VIA
    >K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both chipset and care to
    >comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was planning on going over to an
    >Nforce3
    >
    >Doug

    It's confusing if you're not on top if it.

    Via K8T800 (first edition) was pretty good and nforce3 150 was pretty
    bad.

    However,

    Nforce3 250gb is great, better than both first (K8T800) and second
    (K8T800Pro) editions of the VIA chipset.

    When in doubt get the Nvidia Nforce3 250gb chipset for AMD64.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Doug wrote:
    > I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250) on
    > the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better going
    > a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both chipset
    > and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was planning on
    > going over to an Nforce3
    >
    > Doug

    You may find this an interesting read:
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2069

    If you have an nForce2 and like, you should love the nForce3 250. Just
    avoid the 150.

    Also, you'll loose soundstorm, which is shame. Fixed on nForce4...

    Ben
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:55:03 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Doug wrote:
    >> I remember reading an article about the nforce3 chipset (150 or 250) on
    >> the K8 boards saying that they're not too good and would be better going
    >> a VIA K8T800 instead. Has anyone one had experience with both chipset
    >> and care to comment? I have a Nforce2 and love it so l was planning on
    >> going over to an Nforce3
    >>
    >> Doug
    >
    >You may find this an interesting read:
    >http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2069
    >
    >If you have an nForce2 and like, you should love the nForce3 250. Just
    >avoid the 150.
    >
    >Also, you'll loose soundstorm, which is shame. Fixed on nForce4...
    >
    >Ben

    I'm about to upgrade my Nf2/Barton to a Nf3-250/A64. Is there anything
    else on Nf4 besides soundstorm, and when will those boards be out?

    Cheers,
    Ed
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Memory compatibility and K8 boards

    http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/index.html

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Ed wrote:
    > I'm about to upgrade my Nf2/Barton to a Nf3-250/A64. Is there anything
    > else on Nf4 besides soundstorm, and when will those boards be out?

    Yeah, but rather than recall it all I'll send you to the source:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17058

    No idea when. But then, you can always be waiting for something...

    In my opinion, there are a lot of things happening right now, and I'm gonna
    sit it out, probably wait for nF4, PCI-E, 939 and maybe BTX to come in. My
    Barton is plenty fast for me right now, of course... I might change my mind
    later on, depending on how long it all takes.

    Having said that, if you're looking to go 64bit now, I don't think you could
    beat a 754 chip, on nForce3 250 for those with some kind of cap to their
    gaming budget. :-p

    Cheapest 939/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £250 + £135 for CPU+Board.
    Cheapest 754/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £110 + £80

    If you already have PC3200 thats a big difference.

    Two prices cuts on 939 in a few days and at the end of Aug, apparently.

    Ben
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:26:44 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Cheapest 939/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £250 + £135 for CPU+Board.
    >Cheapest 754/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £110 + £80

    Was looking at...
    Chaintech VNF3-250 Retail - $88
    Athlon 64 3200+ Retail - $221
    free shipping, no tax.

    >If you already have PC3200 thats a big difference.

    I have 4 sticks of Corsair 256MB PC3200LL 2-2-2-6.
    I assume the Nf3-250 has no problem running 3 dimms @ DDR400 speeds?
    The MSI/VIA K8 boards I used to build a couple for friends only support
    3 sticks at DDR 333 speeds.

    >Two prices cuts on 939 in a few days and at the end of Aug, apparently.

    >Ben

    Cheers,
    Ed
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Ed wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:26:44 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Cheapest 939/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £250 + £135 for
    >> CPU+Board. Cheapest 754/nForce3 250 setup comes in at around £110 + £80
    >
    > Was looking at...
    > Chaintech VNF3-250 Retail - $88
    > Athlon 64 3200+ Retail - $221
    > free shipping, no tax.
    >

    >> If you already have PC3200 thats a big difference.
    >
    > I have 4 sticks of Corsair 256MB PC3200LL 2-2-2-6.
    > I assume the Nf3-250 has no problem running 3 dimms @ DDR400 speeds?
    > The MSI/VIA K8 boards I used to build a couple for friends only support
    > 3 sticks at DDR 333 speeds.

    I would check that... it can be a pain on A64s - usually best to have 2
    DIMMs at most.

    Ben

AMD Overclocking Chipsets