norm

I recently upgraded to a Barton 3000+, my temp raised to high 50's under a
load. I would like to get that down somewhat.
I read a some reviews on heat pipes....which one is a good
investment...based on actual experiences
My MB is an A7N8X with a Volcano 11 and AS5. My case has 2 x 120mm fans and
a dual fan PS.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:51:19 -0500, Norm wrote:

> I recently upgraded to a Barton 3000+, my temp raised to high 50's under a
> load. I would like to get that down somewhat.
> I read a some reviews on heat pipes....which one is a good
> investment...based on actual experiences
> My MB is an A7N8X with a Volcano 11 and AS5. My case has 2 x 120mm fans and
> a dual fan PS.

It never ceases to amaze me how many overclockers on this newsgroup fail
to take into account ambient temperature when they talk about their CPU
temperature concerns. Under load, your CPU getting to 58C is pretty normal
given your circumstances, especially if the ambient temperature of the
room where your computer is about 25C? Am I right? Put that computer in a
room at 18C and I bet your CPU under load temps drop to 50C or less.

I have an XP2500 overclocked to an XP3200, 1.75v, with a Vantec Aeroflow
fan, 1 80mm rear case fan and the 2 power supply fans. My CPU under load
gets to about 56C when the room temp is 25C, in the winter when my room
temp is about 18C my CPU under load never gets above about 46C.

If you can improve your ambient environment, by improving airflow around
the outside of your case, reducing direct sunlight into your computer
room, putting aircon on, having a fan blow cold air into and hot air up
and out of a window in your room, will be a much better solution than
spending money on heat pipes or water cooling.

Besides high 50's under load is not that bad. If it gets above 60
frequently you might want to be concerned.

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

Take all your case panels off - that'll cool it down some.

"Norm" <I'm here@here.net> wrote in message
> I recently upgraded to a Barton 3000+, my temp raised to high 50's under
> load. I would like to get that down somewhat.
> I read a some reviews on heat pipes....which one is a good
> investment...based on actual experiences
> My MB is an A7N8X with a Volcano 11 and AS5. My case has 2 x 120mm fans
and
> a dual fan PS.

geoff

Norm wrote:
> I recently upgraded to a Barton 3000+, my temp raised to high 50's
> under a load. I would like to get that down somewhat.
> I read a some reviews on heat pipes....which one is a good
> investment...based on actual experiences
> My MB is an A7N8X with a Volcano 11 and AS5. My case has 2 x 120mm
> fans and a dual fan PS.

heat pipes are just a heat movement technique, thats all, they just make the
heatsink a bit better
don't go out of your way to buy one, if you find a heatsink is better and it
doesn't have one than a heatsink with a heat pipe, you buy the one without
the heat pipe :)

arn't those Volcano things rubbish ? noisy ?
fair while since i looked at coolers really

norm

"Larry Gagnon" <lagagnon@fakeuniserve.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:51:19 -0500, Norm wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded to a Barton 3000+, my temp raised to high 50's
under a
> > load. I would like to get that down somewhat.
> > I read a some reviews on heat pipes....which one is a good
> > investment...based on actual experiences
> > My MB is an A7N8X with a Volcano 11 and AS5. My case has 2 x 120mm fans
and
> > a dual fan PS.
>
> It never ceases to amaze me how many overclockers on this newsgroup fail
> to take into account ambient temperature when they talk about their CPU
> temperature concerns. Under load, your CPU getting to 58C is pretty normal
> given your circumstances, especially if the ambient temperature of the
> room where your computer is about 25C? Am I right? Put that computer in a
> room at 18C and I bet your CPU under load temps drop to 50C or less.
>
> I have an XP2500 overclocked to an XP3200, 1.75v, with a Vantec Aeroflow
> fan, 1 80mm rear case fan and the 2 power supply fans. My CPU under load
> gets to about 56C when the room temp is 25C, in the winter when my room
> temp is about 18C my CPU under load never gets above about 46C.
>
> If you can improve your ambient environment, by improving airflow around
> the outside of your case, reducing direct sunlight into your computer
> room, putting aircon on, having a fan blow cold air into and hot air up
> and out of a window in your room, will be a much better solution than
> spending money on heat pipes or water cooling.
>
> Besides high 50's under load is not that bad. If it gets above 60
> frequently you might want to be concerned.
>
> Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

You are right!! current ambient temperature is 25c to higher, based on the
thermostat, that is located in the other room. The computer room temp will
change depending on time of the day and if the sun is hitting the windows
(no direct sunlight though). I live in a warm climate, the temps in the
summer are brutal. We turn on the aircon in May and it could stay on until
November or early December.. Oh..btw....nothing is overclocked (yet)..:).
I don't think the wife would appreciate me setting the aircon to 64F....I
could buy many different cooling devices based on increase in monthly
electric bill. However, Larry I really appreciate the insight...and will
work on a way to get the ambient temperature under control...thanks

Ed

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:06:08 -0500, "Norm" <I'm here@here.net> wrote:

>> Besides high 50's under load is not that bad. If it gets above 60
>> frequently you might want to be concerned.

I've never had any problems running AMD's hot, I think most people over
cool, 60C + die temps under full loads here w/no problems, been using
AMD's since the K5.

Cheers,
Ed

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

same here. my room is very hot in the summer. 31 degrees tonight! Yes in
england aswell! My temperatures load are 50 degrees, with 4 case fans, and a
decent cpu cooler! in summer my load rarely goin above 42.

I had the thermaltake volcanoe 9 and changed it for number 12 and my
tempertures went down by a few degrees. All copper heatsink probably did it.

dan

"Ed" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:06:08 -0500, "Norm" <I'm here@here.net> wrote:
>

> >> Besides high 50's under load is not that bad. If it gets above 60
> >> frequently you might want to be concerned.
> >>

> I've never had any problems running AMD's hot, I think most people over
> cool, 60C + die temps under full loads here w/no problems, been using
> AMD's since the K5.
>
> Cheers,
> Ed

Yea, I think what ed says is probably right, no biggie in the temps being
around the 60-65 range (as long as that's cpu die temp, and not the socket
temp)

Tho, I know what it's like down in louisiana, and if you want to keep your
pc cool then watercooling MIGHT just be the way to go if your up for the
work :)
Put the radiator (or capacity tank) under ground (just as long as it's 6
inches or so below the surface) say under your house.. and it should keep it
cool enough to use ;)..

norm

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

> "Ed" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I've never had any problems running AMD's hot, I think most people over
> > cool, 60C + die temps under full loads here w/no problems, been using
> > AMD's since the K5.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ed
> >

> Yea, I think what ed says is probably right, no biggie in the temps being
> around the 60-65 range (as long as that's cpu die temp, and not the socket
> temp)
>
> Tho, I know what it's like down in louisiana, and if you want to keep your
> pc cool then watercooling MIGHT just be the way to go if your up for the
> work :)
> Put the radiator (or capacity tank) under ground (just as long as it's 6
> inches or so below the surface) say under your house.. and it should keep
it
> cool enough to use ;)..

As an update.... I re-applied AS5 to make sure there was no problem there..
I do understand my temp are ok...I just wanted to get them down a few
notches. I would be happy if they were in the low 50's. Currently MM5 reads
socket temp about 2 -3c less than the diode.

Thanks everyone for their input
NC