Heat pipes

I recently upgraded to a Barton 3000+, my temp raised to high 50's under a
load. I would like to get that down somewhat.
I read a some reviews on heat pipes....which one is a good
investment...based on actual experiences
My MB is an A7N8X with a Volcano 11 and AS5. My case has 2 x 120mm fans and
a dual fan PS.
8 answers Last reply
More about heat pipes

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:51:19 -0500, Norm wrote:

    > I recently upgraded to a Barton 3000+, my temp raised to high 50's under a
    > load. I would like to get that down somewhat.
    > I read a some reviews on heat pipes....which one is a good
    > investment...based on actual experiences
    > My MB is an A7N8X with a Volcano 11 and AS5. My case has 2 x 120mm fans and
    > a dual fan PS.

    It never ceases to amaze me how many overclockers on this newsgroup fail
    to take into account ambient temperature when they talk about their CPU
    temperature concerns. Under load, your CPU getting to 58C is pretty normal
    given your circumstances, especially if the ambient temperature of the
    room where your computer is about 25C? Am I right? Put that computer in a
    room at 18C and I bet your CPU under load temps drop to 50C or less.

    I have an XP2500 overclocked to an XP3200, 1.75v, with a Vantec Aeroflow
    fan, 1 80mm rear case fan and the 2 power supply fans. My CPU under load
    gets to about 56C when the room temp is 25C, in the winter when my room
    temp is about 18C my CPU under load never gets above about 46C.

    If you can improve your ambient environment, by improving airflow around
    the outside of your case, reducing direct sunlight into your computer
    room, putting aircon on, having a fan blow cold air into and hot air up
    and out of a window in your room, will be a much better solution than
    spending money on heat pipes or water cooling.

    Besides high 50's under load is not that bad. If it gets above 60
    frequently you might want to be concerned.

    Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

    Take all your case panels off - that'll cool it down some.

    Norm wrote:
    > I recently upgraded to a Barton 3000+, my temp raised to high 50's
    > under a load. I would like to get that down somewhat.
    > I read a some reviews on heat pipes....which one is a good
    > investment...based on actual experiences
    > My MB is an A7N8X with a Volcano 11 and AS5. My case has 2 x 120mm
    > fans and a dual fan PS.

    heat pipes are just a heat movement technique, thats all, they just make the
    heatsink a bit better
    don't go out of your way to buy one, if you find a heatsink is better and it
    doesn't have one than a heatsink with a heat pipe, you buy the one without
    the heat pipe :)

    arn't those Volcano things rubbish ? noisy ?
    fair while since i looked at coolers really

    "Larry Gagnon" <lagagnon@fakeuniserve.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:51:19 -0500, Norm wrote:
    >
    > > I recently upgraded to a Barton 3000+, my temp raised to high 50's
    under a
    > > load. I would like to get that down somewhat.
    > > I read a some reviews on heat pipes....which one is a good
    > > investment...based on actual experiences
    > > My MB is an A7N8X with a Volcano 11 and AS5. My case has 2 x 120mm fans
    and
    > > a dual fan PS.
    >
    > It never ceases to amaze me how many overclockers on this newsgroup fail
    > to take into account ambient temperature when they talk about their CPU
    > temperature concerns. Under load, your CPU getting to 58C is pretty normal
    > given your circumstances, especially if the ambient temperature of the
    > room where your computer is about 25C? Am I right? Put that computer in a
    > room at 18C and I bet your CPU under load temps drop to 50C or less.
    >
    > I have an XP2500 overclocked to an XP3200, 1.75v, with a Vantec Aeroflow
    > fan, 1 80mm rear case fan and the 2 power supply fans. My CPU under load
    > gets to about 56C when the room temp is 25C, in the winter when my room
    > temp is about 18C my CPU under load never gets above about 46C.
    >
    > If you can improve your ambient environment, by improving airflow around
    > the outside of your case, reducing direct sunlight into your computer
    > room, putting aircon on, having a fan blow cold air into and hot air up
    > and out of a window in your room, will be a much better solution than
    > spending money on heat pipes or water cooling.
    >
    > Besides high 50's under load is not that bad. If it gets above 60
    > frequently you might want to be concerned.
    >
    > Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

    You are right!! current ambient temperature is 25c to higher, based on the
    thermostat, that is located in the other room. The computer room temp will
    change depending on time of the day and if the sun is hitting the windows
    (no direct sunlight though). I live in a warm climate, the temps in the
    summer are brutal. We turn on the aircon in May and it could stay on until
    November or early December.. Oh..btw....nothing is overclocked (yet)..:-).
    I don't think the wife would appreciate me setting the aircon to 64F....I
    could buy many different cooling devices based on increase in monthly
    electric bill. However, Larry I really appreciate the insight...and will
    work on a way to get the ambient temperature under control...thanks

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:06:08 -0500, "Norm" <I'm here@here.net> wrote:

    >> Besides high 50's under load is not that bad. If it gets above 60
    >> frequently you might want to be concerned.

    I've never had any problems running AMD's hot, I think most people over
    cool, 60C + die temps under full loads here w/no problems, been using
    AMD's since the K5.

    Cheers,
    Ed

    same here. my room is very hot in the summer. 31 degrees tonight! Yes in
    england aswell! My temperatures load are 50 degrees, with 4 case fans, and a
    decent cpu cooler! in summer my load rarely goin above 42.

    I had the thermaltake volcanoe 9 and changed it for number 12 and my
    tempertures went down by a few degrees. All copper heatsink probably did it.

    dan

    "Ed" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:06:08 -0500, "Norm" <I'm here@here.net> wrote:
    >

    > >> Besides high 50's under load is not that bad. If it gets above 60
    > >> frequently you might want to be concerned.
    > >>

    > I've never had any problems running AMD's hot, I think most people over
    > cool, 60C + die temps under full loads here w/no problems, been using
    > AMD's since the K5.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Ed

    Yea, I think what ed says is probably right, no biggie in the temps being
    around the 60-65 range (as long as that's cpu die temp, and not the socket
    temp)

    Tho, I know what it's like down in louisiana, and if you want to keep your
    pc cool then watercooling MIGHT just be the way to go if your up for the
    work :)
    Put the radiator (or capacity tank) under ground (just as long as it's 6
    inches or so below the surface) say under your house.. and it should keep it
    cool enough to use ;)..
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

    > "Ed" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > I've never had any problems running AMD's hot, I think most people over
    > > cool, 60C + die temps under full loads here w/no problems, been using
    > > AMD's since the K5.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Ed
    > >

    > Yea, I think what ed says is probably right, no biggie in the temps being
    > around the 60-65 range (as long as that's cpu die temp, and not the socket
    > temp)
    >
    > Tho, I know what it's like down in louisiana, and if you want to keep your
    > pc cool then watercooling MIGHT just be the way to go if your up for the
    > work :)
    > Put the radiator (or capacity tank) under ground (just as long as it's 6
    > inches or so below the surface) say under your house.. and it should keep
    it
    > cool enough to use ;)..

    As an update.... I re-applied AS5 to make sure there was no problem there..
    I do understand my temp are ok...I just wanted to get them down a few
    notches. I would be happy if they were in the low 50's. Currently MM5 reads
    socket temp about 2 -3c less than the diode.

    Thanks everyone for their input
    NC

AMD Heat Overclocking