can't format a pendrive!

i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
"windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
prob...should i buy a new pendrive?

--
aidiami
7 answers Last reply

    All hd mfgs have a DOS utility that can chk the drive and format,download it
    to a floppy run the utility.

    "aidiami" wrote:

    > i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
    > bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
    > computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
    > returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
    > it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
    > "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
    > also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
    > prob...should i buy a new pendrive?
    >

    > --
    > aidiami

    My Sandisk Mini is formatted as fat16b. I don't know of a utility that can
    format as such, so I can't assist you there. I would certainly look around
    Scandisk's website for information if I were you.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "aidiami" <aidiami.1ten1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
    > bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
    > computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
    > returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
    > it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
    > "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
    > also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
    > prob...should i buy a new pendrive?
    >

    > --
    > aidiami

    Check here. There are many sub pages to browse through.
    https://www.customernation.com/pls/ps/ps.ps_main?p_host=304&p_supplier=5096&p_parm=PSHPP&p_subcategory=&p_product=

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "aidiami" <aidiami.1ten1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
    > bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
    > computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
    > returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
    > it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
    > "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
    > also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
    > prob...should i buy a new pendrive?
    >

    > --
    > aidiami

    Sorry! The first link I sent you doesn't work. Go here
    http://www.sandisk.com/ and then to Retail/Customer | Customer support.
    Continue on to the pen drive you have.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "aidiami" <aidiami.1ten1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
    > bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
    > computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
    > returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
    > it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
    > "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
    > also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
    > prob...should i buy a new pendrive?
    >

    > --
    > aidiami

    Heh.I blew it here.

    I mistook your work scandisk (which doesn't even exist in Windows XP) as
    Sandisk. I reread and see you have a product by Kingston. Look on their web
    site.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "aidiami" <aidiami.1ten1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
    > bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
    > computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
    > returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
    > it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
    > "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
    > also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
    > prob...should i buy a new pendrive?
    >

    > --
    > aidiami

    Why format? Just delete the files.

    aidiami wrote:
    > i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
    > bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
    > computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
    > returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
    > it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
    > "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
    > also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
    > prob...should i buy a new pendrive?

    The native XP format will let you format the Sandisk to Fat16. I seem to
    recall that this worked on mine.

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My Sandisk Mini is formatted as fat16b. I don't know of a utility that can
    > format as such, so I can't assist you there. I would certainly look around
    > Scandisk's website for information if I were you.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >
    > "aidiami" <aidiami.1ten1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
    >> bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
    >> computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
    >> returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
    >> it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
    >> "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
    >> also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
    >> prob...should i buy a new pendrive?
    >>

    >> --
    >> aidiami

Pendrive Format Computers Windows XP