can't format a pendrive!

August 7, 2005 7:27:07 PM

i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
"windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
prob...should i buy a new pendrive?

--
aidiami

More about : format pendrive

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 10:43:02 PM

All hd mfgs have a DOS utility that can chk the drive and format,download it
to a floppy run the utility.

"aidiami" wrote:

> i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
> bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
> computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
> returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
> it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
> "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
> also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
> prob...should i buy a new pendrive?
>

> --
> aidiami

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:49:51 AM

My Sandisk Mini is formatted as fat16b. I don't know of a utility that can
format as such, so I can't assist you there. I would certainly look around
Scandisk's website for information if I were you.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"aidiami" <aidiami.1ten1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
> bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
> computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
> returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
> it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
> "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
> also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
> prob...should i buy a new pendrive?
>

> --
> aidiami
August 8, 2005 2:55:07 AM

Check here. There are many sub pages to browse through.
https://www.customernation.com/pls/ps/ps.ps_main?p_host...

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"aidiami" <aidiami.1ten1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
> bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
> computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
> returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
> it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
> "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
> also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
> prob...should i buy a new pendrive?
>

> --
> aidiami
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:59:15 AM

Sorry! The first link I sent you doesn't work. Go here
http://www.sandisk.com/ and then to Retail/Customer | Customer support.
Continue on to the pen drive you have.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"aidiami" <aidiami.1ten1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
> bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
> computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
> returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
> it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
> "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
> also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
> prob...should i buy a new pendrive?
>

> --
> aidiami
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 3:01:49 AM

Heh.I blew it here.

I mistook your work scandisk (which doesn't even exist in Windows XP) as
Sandisk. I reread and see you have a product by Kingston. Look on their web
site.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"aidiami" <aidiami.1ten1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
> bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
> computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
> returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
> it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
> "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
> also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
> prob...should i buy a new pendrive?
>

> --
> aidiami
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:54:29 PM

Why format? Just delete the files.

aidiami wrote:
> i've a problem with my pendrive...i've a kingston pendrive that i've
> bought a couple of month ago...i've copy some files from my friend's
> computer and i try to copy it on my computer. The copying process
> returns no problems. after copying the files needed, i tried to format
> it. but,for my shocked, it cannot format the drive. it displays
> "windows was unable to complete the format". The scandisk utilities
> also can't do the task...whats the problem? how can i come out this
> prob...should i buy a new pendrive?

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 7:40:38 PM

The native XP format will let you format the Sandisk to Fat16. I seem to
recall that this worked on mine.

news:o TNqcP8mFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

!