Andrew

When playing Doom 3 my computer will crash and display a BSOD with a Machine
Check Exception Error (code 9c). The system comprises of Athlon 64 3000+
CPU, 2 x 512 Mb PC 3200 Elixir RAM, 2 x 80 Gb Maxtor SATA HDs (RAID 0),
Leadtek GeForce 6800 GT 256 Mb AGP video card, Aureon fun 5.1 PCI soundcard,
MS Windows home SP2. Power supply is a 425W Hyper PSU. Computer is not
overclocked and BIOS memory settings are set to auto. Motherboard is an
Asus A8V deluxe flashed with the latest BIOS version (previous BIOS version
also this problem)

Seems to happen randomly whilst playing Doom 3, can be during what I would
describe as intensive graphics rendering or even on a menu screen; it has
never crashed whilst using the Windows desktop, Internet Explorer, MS Word
etc etc.

I have tried disabling AMD Cool and Quiet, enabled / disabled AGP fast
writes in the BIOS to no avail, tried various NVidia drivers (71.84, 77.72,
77.76 & 80.40) and the video card manufacturers driver version 77.50.

This system was stable when i used a GeForce 6600 video card but with the
6800 GT I keep getting the BSOD.

Any help in resolving this crash would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Could be an insufficient PSU.
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x9c
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Andrew" <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> When playing Doom 3 my computer will crash and display a BSOD with a
> Machine Check Exception Error (code 9c). The system comprises of Athlon
> 64 3000+ CPU, 2 x 512 Mb PC 3200 Elixir RAM, 2 x 80 Gb Maxtor SATA HDs
> (RAID 0), Leadtek GeForce 6800 GT 256 Mb AGP video card, Aureon fun 5.1
> PCI soundcard, MS Windows home SP2. Power supply is a 425W Hyper PSU.
> Computer is not overclocked and BIOS memory settings are set to auto.
> Motherboard is an Asus A8V deluxe flashed with the latest BIOS version
> (previous BIOS version also this problem)
>
> Seems to happen randomly whilst playing Doom 3, can be during what I would
> describe as intensive graphics rendering or even on a menu screen; it has
> never crashed whilst using the Windows desktop, Internet Explorer, MS Word
> etc etc.
>
> I have tried disabling AMD Cool and Quiet, enabled / disabled AGP fast
> writes in the BIOS to no avail, tried various NVidia drivers (71.84,
> 77.72, 77.76 & 80.40) and the video card manufacturers driver version
> 77.50.
>
> This system was stable when i used a GeForce 6600 video card but with the
> 6800 GT I keep getting the BSOD.
>
> Any help in resolving this crash would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Andrew

Thanks for the advice. I had considered the PSU since the system was fine
with the 6600 and possibly the 6800 GT was drawing too much power. To
investigate I used a website that allows a system builders to calculate the
minimum PSU wattage for any given configuration; it came out that I needed
about 325 watts. Admittedly the website isn't going to be that accuarte but
at 325 watts even allowing for a relatively large error I believe my 425 PSU
is going to be adequate.

I am now going to play some other games to see if I get the same crash to
determine if it is specific to something that Doom 3 ius doing / requesting.

Cheers,

Andy