how do i tell what AMD CPU I have?

Actually, I have a number of old AMD CPUs salvaged as part of old upgrades
and the like. I'm now trying to fit them to a rogue collection of old-ish
and occasionally new but hardly top-end MBs to make some slightly upgraded
systems for where I work.

A lot of motherboard manufacturers (ie MSI) give a chart that say, for
instance, an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thoroughbred core (0.13u) will run on a
particular board but an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thorton core (also 0.13u)
won't.

How can I tell what CPUs I've got? Having rummaged around on the net and
tried a few utilities whereby I key in the numbers on the CPU, I'm still
none the wiser.

Is there a definiative way or utility or website where I can look up such
info?

I am very confused :)

Ian

---
5 answers Last reply
More about have

    Download cpu-z from:

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#download

    I think it's what you want.

    HTH,
    HarvB
    "Ian.2" <rickety@hahaha.madasafish.com> wrote in message
    > Actually, I have a number of old AMD CPUs salvaged as part of old upgrades
    > and the like. I'm now trying to fit them to a rogue collection of old-ish
    > and occasionally new but hardly top-end MBs to make some slightly upgraded
    > systems for where I work.
    >
    > A lot of motherboard manufacturers (ie MSI) give a chart that say, for
    > instance, an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thoroughbred core (0.13u) will run on
    > particular board but an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thorton core (also 0.13u)
    > won't.
    >
    > How can I tell what CPUs I've got? Having rummaged around on the net and
    > tried a few utilities whereby I key in the numbers on the CPU, I'm still
    > none the wiser.
    >
    > Is there a definiative way or utility or website where I can look up such
    > info?
    >
    > I am very confused :)
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > ---

    Thanks for the speedy response, but it's not quite what I want, as I have
    the CPUs all in front of me on the desk - they're not fitted in a PC as I
    don't yet know for certain which MBs I can fit them into! So I can't run an
    automatic detector program to tell me.

    I'm hoping there's some handy way of decoding exactly what core etc I have
    from the numbers printed on the CPU?

    Ian

    --
    ---
    "HarvB" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Download cpu-z from:
    >
    > http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#download
    >
    > I think it's what you want.
    >
    > HTH,
    > HarvB
    > "Ian.2" <rickety@hahaha.madasafish.com> wrote in message
    > > Actually, I have a number of old AMD CPUs salvaged as part of old
    upgrades
    > > and the like. I'm now trying to fit them to a rogue collection of
    old-ish
    > > and occasionally new but hardly top-end MBs to make some slightly
    upgraded
    > > systems for where I work.
    > >
    > > A lot of motherboard manufacturers (ie MSI) give a chart that say, for
    > > instance, an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thoroughbred core (0.13u) will run
    on
    > > particular board but an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thorton core (also 0.13u)
    > > won't.
    > >
    > > How can I tell what CPUs I've got? Having rummaged around on the net
    and
    > > tried a few utilities whereby I key in the numbers on the CPU, I'm still
    > > none the wiser.
    > >
    > > Is there a definiative way or utility or website where I can look up
    such
    > > info?
    > >
    > > I am very confused :)
    > >
    > > Ian
    > >
    > > ---

    This is what you want:
    http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:26:28 +0100, Ian.2 wrote:

    > How can I tell what CPUs I've got?

    Look at the part number. Search for it. If you wnt to know what the
    numbers mean look here.

    http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

    the other things that would be useful to know is what the third line of
    the label means. The first characters are the stepping and the next 4
    digits are the manufacturer date code (YYWW) (WW is week of year). From
    this you can tell core type, etc, since you can't tell the difference
    between later cores by the par tnumber. If you get stuck with one, put
    that info here and someone will know.

    Ian.2 wrote:
    > Thanks for the speedy response, but it's not quite what I want, as I
    > have the CPUs all in front of me on the desk - they're not fitted in
    > a PC as I don't yet know for certain which MBs I can fit them into!
    > So I can't run an automatic detector program to tell me.
    >
    > I'm hoping there's some handy way of decoding exactly what core etc I
    > have from the numbers printed on the CPU?

    /plug

    My little proggy should handle it :)

    http://www.emboss.co.nz/products.php?pid=5

    /end plug