Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2004 11:26:28 PM

Actually, I have a number of old AMD CPUs salvaged as part of old upgrades
and the like. I'm now trying to fit them to a rogue collection of old-ish
and occasionally new but hardly top-end MBs to make some slightly upgraded
systems for where I work.

A lot of motherboard manufacturers (ie MSI) give a chart that say, for
instance, an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thoroughbred core (0.13u) will run on a
particular board but an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thorton core (also 0.13u)
won't.

How can I tell what CPUs I've got? Having rummaged around on the net and
tried a few utilities whereby I key in the numbers on the CPU, I'm still
none the wiser.

Is there a definiative way or utility or website where I can look up such
info?

I am very confused :)

Ian

---

More about : amd cpu

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2004 11:26:29 PM

Download cpu-z from:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#download

I think it's what you want.

HTH,
HarvB
"Ian.2" <rickety@hahaha.madasafish.com> wrote in message
> Actually, I have a number of old AMD CPUs salvaged as part of old upgrades
> and the like. I'm now trying to fit them to a rogue collection of old-ish
> and occasionally new but hardly top-end MBs to make some slightly upgraded
> systems for where I work.
>
> A lot of motherboard manufacturers (ie MSI) give a chart that say, for
> instance, an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thoroughbred core (0.13u) will run on
> particular board but an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thorton core (also 0.13u)
> won't.
>
> How can I tell what CPUs I've got? Having rummaged around on the net and
> tried a few utilities whereby I key in the numbers on the CPU, I'm still
> none the wiser.
>
> Is there a definiative way or utility or website where I can look up such
> info?
>
> I am very confused :)
>
> Ian
>
> ---

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2004 12:11:14 AM

Thanks for the speedy response, but it's not quite what I want, as I have
the CPUs all in front of me on the desk - they're not fitted in a PC as I
don't yet know for certain which MBs I can fit them into! So I can't run an
automatic detector program to tell me.

I'm hoping there's some handy way of decoding exactly what core etc I have
from the numbers printed on the CPU?

Ian

--
---
"HarvB" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Download cpu-z from:
>
> http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#download
>
> I think it's what you want.
>
> HTH,
> HarvB
> "Ian.2" <rickety@hahaha.madasafish.com> wrote in message
> > Actually, I have a number of old AMD CPUs salvaged as part of old
upgrades
> > and the like. I'm now trying to fit them to a rogue collection of
old-ish
> > and occasionally new but hardly top-end MBs to make some slightly
upgraded
> > systems for where I work.
> >
> > A lot of motherboard manufacturers (ie MSI) give a chart that say, for
> > instance, an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thoroughbred core (0.13u) will run
on
> > particular board but an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thorton core (also 0.13u)
> > won't.
> >
> > How can I tell what CPUs I've got? Having rummaged around on the net
and
> > tried a few utilities whereby I key in the numbers on the CPU, I'm still
> > none the wiser.
> >
> > Is there a definiative way or utility or website where I can look up
such
> > info?
> >
> > I am very confused :)
> >
> > Ian
> >
> > ---

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2004 12:11:15 AM

This is what you want:
http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

Ian.2 wrote:
> Thanks for the speedy response, but it's not quite what I want, as I
> have the CPUs all in front of me on the desk - they're not fitted in
> a PC as I don't yet know for certain which MBs I can fit them into!
> So I can't run an automatic detector program to tell me.
>
> I'm hoping there's some handy way of decoding exactly what core etc I
> have from the numbers printed on the CPU?
>
> Ian
>
>> Download cpu-z from:
>>
>> http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#download
>>
>> I think it's what you want.
>>
>> HTH,
>> HarvB
>> "Ian.2" <rickety@hahaha.madasafish.com> wrote in message
>>> Actually, I have a number of old AMD CPUs salvaged as part of old
>>> upgrades and the like. I'm now trying to fit them to a rogue
>>> collection of old-ish and occasionally new but hardly top-end MBs
>>> to make some slightly upgraded systems for where I work.
>>>
>>> A lot of motherboard manufacturers (ie MSI) give a chart that say,
>>> for instance, an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Thoroughbred core (0.13u)
>>> will run on a particular board but an Athlon XP 2000+ with a
>>> Thorton core (also 0.13u) won't.
>>>
>>> How can I tell what CPUs I've got? Having rummaged around on the
>>> net and tried a few utilities whereby I key in the numbers on the
>>> CPU, I'm still none the wiser.
>>>
>>> Is there a definiative way or utility or website where I can look
>>> up such info?
>>>
>>> I am very confused :)
>>>
>>> Ian
>>>
>>> ---
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2004 1:22:15 AM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:26:28 +0100, Ian.2 wrote:

> How can I tell what CPUs I've got?

Look at the part number. Search for it. If you wnt to know what the
numbers mean look here.

http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

the other things that would be useful to know is what the third line of
the label means. The first characters are the stepping and the next 4
digits are the manufacturer date code (YYWW) (WW is week of year). From
this you can tell core type, etc, since you can't tell the difference
between later cores by the par tnumber. If you get stuck with one, put
that info here and someone will know.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2004 9:08:13 PM

Ian.2 wrote:
> Thanks for the speedy response, but it's not quite what I want, as I
> have the CPUs all in front of me on the desk - they're not fitted in
> a PC as I don't yet know for certain which MBs I can fit them into!
> So I can't run an automatic detector program to tell me.
>
> I'm hoping there's some handy way of decoding exactly what core etc I
> have from the numbers printed on the CPU?

/plug

My little proggy should handle it :)

http://www.emboss.co.nz/products.php?pid=5

/end plug