Socket A & 754 Sempron caution.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I don't know if this is well known or not but AMD has used different
criteria in giving the Sempron line of cpu's its PR numbers. So don't
buy a Sempron 3100+ expecting it to be faster than an Athlon 64 3000+.
Because it's nowhere close to as fast. AMD ommitted a bunch of the
benchmarks used for Athlon XP's and Athlon 64 so the Semprons could have
higher PR numbers. The sempron 3100+ won't even keep up with an Athlon 64
2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is actually a tbred B core
running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+ tbred (12.5x166).

As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>I don't know if this is well known or not but AMD has used different
> criteria in giving the Sempron line of cpu's its PR numbers. So don't
> buy a Sempron 3100+ expecting it to be faster than an Athlon 64 3000+.
> Because it's nowhere close to as fast. AMD ommitted a bunch of the
> benchmarks used for Athlon XP's and Athlon 64 so the Semprons could have
> higher PR numbers. The sempron 3100+ won't even keep up with an Athlon 64
> 2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is actually a tbred B core
> running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+ tbred (12.5x166).
>
> As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.

Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at all. I
recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and CPU, thus you
preserve your investment for at least 2 years. :eek:)

Hank Kimball
"I have an important message for you, life or death." .. Ok, what is the
message? "What message?"

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

rstlne> If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just
rstlne> stick with your skt A (if that's what you have) the 939 kicks
rstlne> ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the huge
rstlne> gaps i would tend to belive that it would really affect the
rstlne> feeling you get)

Really. Anyway the few benchmarks I have seen don't show that
significant of a performance difference between 939 vs 754. Could you
kindly send a url that shows these big differences.

Thanks

Alan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> I don't know if this is well known or not but AMD has used different
> criteria in giving the Sempron line of cpu's its PR numbers. So don't
> buy a Sempron 3100+ expecting it to be faster than an Athlon 64 3000+.
> Because it's nowhere close to as fast. AMD ommitted a bunch of the
> benchmarks used for Athlon XP's and Athlon 64 so the Semprons could have
> higher PR numbers. The sempron 3100+ won't even keep up with an Athlon 64
> 2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is actually a tbred B core
> running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+ tbred (12.5x166).
>
> As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.

Yea, The benchark is supposed to be a close to a CeleronD comparision
chart..

Hank Kimball wrote:
> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>> I don't know if this is well known or not but AMD has used different
>> criteria in giving the Sempron line of cpu's its PR numbers. So don't
>> buy a Sempron 3100+ expecting it to be faster than an Athlon 64
>> 3000+. Because it's nowhere close to as fast. AMD ommitted a bunch
>> of the benchmarks used for Athlon XP's and Athlon 64 so the Semprons
>> could have higher PR numbers. The sempron 3100+ won't even keep up
>> with an Athlon 64 2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is
>> actually a tbred B core running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+
>> tbred (12.5x166).
>>
>> As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.
>>
>> --
>> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
>
> Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at
> all. I recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and
> CPU, thus you preserve your investment for at least 2 years. :eek:)

Looks like I'm just about to do the opposite and get a Socket 754 CPU. Can't
really justify the extra for a 3500+, when I expect to upgrade the CPU and
board together.

--
Derek

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> > Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at
> > all. I recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and
> > CPU, thus you preserve your investment for at least 2 years. :eek:)
> >

> Looks like I'm just about to do the opposite and get a Socket 754 CPU.
Can't
> really justify the extra for a 3500+, when I expect to upgrade the CPU and
> board together.
>
> --
> Derek

If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with your
skt A (if that's what you have)
the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the huge gaps
i would tend to belive that it would really affect the feeling you get)

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote
> If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with your
> skt A (if that's what you have)
> the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the huge
gaps
> i would tend to belive that it would really affect the feeling you get)

I read that 939 requires matched pairs of memory. Do they have to be
identical, or can they be different brands of the same type?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

rstlne wrote:
>>> Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at
>>> all. I recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and
>>> CPU, thus you preserve your investment for at least 2 years. :eek:)
>>>

>> Looks like I'm just about to do the opposite and get a Socket 754
>> CPU. Can't really justify the extra for a 3500+, when I expect to
>> upgrade the CPU and board together.
>>
>> --
>> Derek
>

> If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with
> your skt A (if that's what you have)
> the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the
> huge gaps i would tend to belive that it would really affect the
> feeling you get)

What benchmarks are you looking at? The ones I've seen show a small
difference between the 3400+ and 3500+.

--
Derek

Derek Baker wrote:

>>> Looks like I'm just about to do the opposite and get a Socket 754
>>> CPU. Can't really justify the extra for a 3500+, when I expect to
>>> upgrade the CPU and board together.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Derek
>>

>> If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with
>> your skt A (if that's what you have)
>> the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the
>> huge gaps i would tend to belive that it would really affect the
>> feeling you get)
>
> What benchmarks are you looking at? The ones I've seen show a small
> difference between the 3400+ and 3500+.

Here's a comparison of the 3400+ and 3500+:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=15

Though note since then the 3400+ ha slost half it's cache and gained 200Mhz.

--
Derek

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

The safest thing to do is to purchase a matched set. Same size, same
speed, and same brand. One of the problems is matching up all the
timing. If you look at the specs for different brands, you will see
they use different timings. And it may well end up being the cheapest.
If you don't go with a matched set and you start having weird
problems, like spontaneous rebooting, you will have to then buy a
matched set to fix your unexplained problems.

Ed Light wrote:
> "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote
>
>>If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with your
>>skt A (if that's what you have)
>>the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the huge
>
> gaps
>
>>i would tend to belive that it would really affect the feeling you get)
>

> I read that 939 requires matched pairs of memory. Do they have to be
> identical, or can they be different brands of the same type?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I was hoping to use my two pc2700/333 Corsair Value Selects, but the two are
totally different and not actually made by Corsair.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed Light wrote:
> I was hoping to use my two pc2700/333 Corsair Value Selects, but the two
> are totally different and not actually made by Corsair.

It should be fine, just set the timings such that both DIMMS are within spec
for all parameters.

Would probably be better to use PC3200 though.

Ben

"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ed Light wrote:
> > I was hoping to use my two pc2700/333 Corsair Value Selects, but the two
> > are totally different and not actually made by Corsair.
>

> It should be fine, just set the timings such that both DIMMS are within
spec
> for all parameters.
>
> Would probably be better to use PC3200 though.

Yes, it will have to scale it down from the bus, instead of up from 133/266
as it is now (still runs faster than in synch on benchmarks).

In interim, I've just got a 2200+ 35w Barton mobile I'm going to make a
3000+ (2150 @ 333 @ 1.5v) with the wires in the socket method - I hope it
works on my KT400.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed Light wrote:
> Yes, it will have to scale it down from the bus, instead of up from
> 133/266 as it is now (still runs faster than in synch on benchmarks).

It probably will be faster on a VIA.

> In interim, I've just got a 2200+ 35w Barton mobile I'm going to make a
> 3000+ (2150 @ 333 @ 1.5v) with the wires in the socket method - I hope it
> works on my KT400.

Go for it, don't see why not.

Ben

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

The 939 does not require matched set of memory, the 940 did/does, but this
is only for older Athlon FX and Opteron systems.

Lord Blue

"Lord Blue" <lord_blue@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The 939 does not require matched set of memory, the 940 did/does, but this
> is only for older Athlon FX and Opteron systems.

I think it's more to the point that 940 boards require "Registerd" memory..
I could be wrong but I think that your still limited to running Dual-Chan
ram only when the pairs are running at the same settings. (Matched settings
and values) but I could be wrong.

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 16:23:03 +0000, wrote:

> "Lord Blue" <lord_blue@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The 939 does not require matched set of memory, the 940 did/does, but this
>> is only for older Athlon FX and Opteron systems.
>>

> I think it's more to the point that 940 boards require "Registerd" memory..
> I could be wrong but I think that your still limited to running Dual-Chan
> ram only when the pairs are running at the same settings. (Matched settings
> and values) but I could be wrong.

That's totally correct. The ram doesn't have to be "matched" other than
they will work at the same timings. The ram could be from 2 completely
different manufactures. IOW's matched pairs as advertised simply means 2
sticks of the same make/model number /brand.