XP 2800+ won't overclock

Please excuse any stupidity on my part that may become apparent during this
message, but I'm a novice and confused! I've read newsgroups and
overclocking sites, but I still can't work out what I'm doing wrong.

I have a newly acquired XP 2800+ and Abit NF7-S board. As I have PC3200
RAM, I'm trying to up the FSB to 400MHz by setting the multiplier to 10 and
the external clock frequency to 200.

However, when I boot I get an error message that tells me my processor speed
is unworkable, and gives me the option to enter the bios setup or hit F1 to
continue. If I do the latter, I get another error message to the effect that
the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt, and the system hangs. When I return the
bios settings to their default, everything works fine.

I've tried a number of different multipliers, both higher and lower, but to
no avail.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Steve Silverman

Steve Silverman wrote:
> Please excuse any stupidity on my part that may become apparent
> during this message, but I'm a novice and confused! I've read
> newsgroups and overclocking sites, but I still can't work out what
> I'm doing wrong.
>
> I have a newly acquired XP 2800+ and Abit NF7-S board. As I have
> PC3200 RAM, I'm trying to up the FSB to 400MHz by setting the
> multiplier to 10 and the external clock frequency to 200.
>
> However, when I boot I get an error message that tells me my
> processor speed is unworkable, and gives me the option to enter the
> bios setup or hit F1 to continue. If I do the latter, I get another
> error message to the effect that the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt,
> and the system hangs. When I return the bios settings to their
> default, everything works fine.
>
> I've tried a number of different multipliers, both higher and lower,
> but to no avail.
>
> Any advice will be gratefully received.
>
> Steve Silverman

First, if it's a CPU manufactured after ~ week 39 of 2003, the
multiplier will be locked. Second, to run the CPU faster than default,
it is often times necessary to increase the core voltage so it will be
stable at the higher frequency. With a default multiplier of 12.5,
setting the FSB to 200 MHz will attempt to run the CPU at 2500 MHz. You
may get 2200 MHz to 2300 MHz, but not many will run at 2500 MHz, even
with close to 2.0V core voltage.
If it will boot at 12.5 X 200 MHz, then increase the core voltage .05V
at a time till it becomes stable.

morgan

>I have a newly acquired XP 2800+..........

> I'm trying to up the FSB to 400MHz by setting the multiplier to 10
> and the external clock frequency to 200

There will be your problem. The CPU will be multiplier locked and so only
the FSB can be increased and no adjustment to the default multiplier setting
will be allowed.
If you had wanted to use the multiplier settings your best choice would have
been one of the mobile XP's as they not only overclock very well but they
are unlocked.
With what you have got you could try and raise the FSB and then to check
stability (memory shouldn't be a problem and so memtest86 shouldn't be
needed) by running Prime95. You may need to raise the vcore a little to
increase stability and by doing so watch your temperature.

In my opinion you have not selected the best cpu for overclocking.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive noisy....
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

"ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid> wrote in message

> First, if it's a CPU manufactured after ~ week 39 of 2003, the
> multiplier will be locked. Second, to run the CPU faster than default,
> it is often times necessary to increase the core voltage so it will be
> stable at the higher frequency. With a default multiplier of 12.5,
> setting the FSB to 200 MHz will attempt to run the CPU at 2500 MHz. You
> may get 2200 MHz to 2300 MHz, but not many will run at 2500 MHz, even
> with close to 2.0V core voltage.
> If it will boot at 12.5 X 200 MHz, then increase the core voltage .05V
> at a time till it becomes stable.

Thanks to you and Morgan for you responses.

I've now tried 12.5 x 200 MHz, but the machine still will not boot, and is
giving me the same error messages. Should I now be considering the
possibility that my processor cannot be overclocked?

Steve Silverman

morgan

> I've now tried 12.5 x 200 MHz, but the machine still will not boot, and is
> giving me the same error messages. Should I now be considering the
> possibility that my processor cannot be overclocked?

Not really, but you do have to consider that it will be unlikely to run at
2500mhz when it was designed to run at 2080mhz with nothing more than the
default vcore of 1.65v.

As I mentioned before if you had bough the mobile version the default vcore
on most of them is 1.45v. So that , along with the multiplier setting being
unlocked, gives you more flexibility in increasing the vcore voltage, whilst
maintaining a reasonable running temp, and adjusting the FSB and multiplier
to get the optimum speed and stability together.

If you start by 12.5 (which is a must) and then your FSB at 170 the memory
could be set to 1:1 (in sync) (also set the cpu interface to "enabled") and
let the machine boot. Check that it is stable by running Prime95 but monitor
your temps whilst doing so. This conservative adjustment will allow you to
see that the cpu is capable of being overclocked and test the stability of
your system. It will "only" be 50mhz above the design speed and if all is
well then up it to say 175mhz. Check again for stability and watch your
temps. If Prime95 fails during a series of runs (can be left running over
night) then increase the vcore voltage to say 1.675v or 1.7v and test again.
BUT monitor your temps - you will need a decent cooler if you start to
overclock and / or increase the vcore voltage. My vcore is up to 1.75v but I
have a Zalman 7000CU cooler fitted, which is both quiet and very efficient.
Make sure that you have the correct memory timings set for your memory and
don't just rely on the board to read the SPD values and set them correctly.

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard drive noisy....
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

geoff

Steve Silverman wrote:
> Please excuse any stupidity on my part that may become apparent
> during this message, but I'm a novice and confused! I've read
> newsgroups and overclocking sites, but I still can't work out what
> I'm doing wrong.
>
> I have a newly acquired XP 2800+ and Abit NF7-S board. As I have
> PC3200 RAM, I'm trying to up the FSB to 400MHz by setting the
> multiplier to 10 and the external clock frequency to 200.
>
> However, when I boot I get an error message that tells me my
> processor speed is unworkable, and gives me the option to enter the
> bios setup or hit F1 to continue. If I do the latter, I get another
> error message to the effect that the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt,
> and the system hangs. When I return the bios settings to their
> default, everything works fine.
>
> I've tried a number of different multipliers, both higher and lower,
> but to no avail.
>
> Any advice will be gratefully received.
>
> Steve Silverman

the cpu is multiplyer locked, so you can't change it anyway
you tryed to change the fsb to 200 from 166, this means it will try and boot
at 2.5ghz
which isn't going to work unless you have really good cooling, and know how
much voltage to put in to the cpu

(general rule is, keep the cpu temp at 50c or lower if you can, and the cpu
voltage needed for barton at 2.5ghz is ermm about 2.1v, you are not advised
to set it to that with a plain cheap cooler, you might melt the core)

i run my unlocked barton at 2.2ghz, 1.725v, or 2.3ghz, 1.8v (200fsb)
it's an early xp2500

basicly the cpu locked multiplyer to too high to overclock properly, you
could go for 180mhz fsb or something like that instead of 200, you will get
still get a good speed boost

"Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Steve Silverman wrote:
> > Please excuse any stupidity on my part that may become apparent
> > during this message, but I'm a novice and confused! I've read
> > newsgroups and overclocking sites, but I still can't work out what
> > I'm doing wrong.
> >
> > I have a newly acquired XP 2800+ and Abit NF7-S board. As I have
> > PC3200 RAM, I'm trying to up the FSB to 400MHz by setting the
> > multiplier to 10 and the external clock frequency to 200.
> >
> > However, when I boot I get an error message that tells me my
> > processor speed is unworkable, and gives me the option to enter the
> > bios setup or hit F1 to continue. If I do the latter, I get another
> > error message to the effect that the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt,
> > and the system hangs. When I return the bios settings to their
> > default, everything works fine.
> >
> > I've tried a number of different multipliers, both higher and lower,
> > but to no avail.
> >
> > Any advice will be gratefully received.
> >
> > Steve Silverman
>
> the cpu is multiplyer locked, so you can't change it anyway
> you tryed to change the fsb to 200 from 166, this means it will try and
boot
> at 2.5ghz
> which isn't going to work unless you have really good cooling, and know
how
> much voltage to put in to the cpu
>
> (general rule is, keep the cpu temp at 50c or lower if you can, and the
cpu
> voltage needed for barton at 2.5ghz is ermm about 2.1v, you are not
advised
> to set it to that with a plain cheap cooler, you might melt the core)
>
> i run my unlocked barton at 2.2ghz, 1.725v, or 2.3ghz, 1.8v (200fsb)
> it's an early xp2500
>
> basicly the cpu locked multiplyer to too high to overclock properly, you
> could go for 180mhz fsb or something like that instead of 200, you will
get
> still get a good speed boost

hmm
12.5 * 166
12.5 * 200 is a NICE overclock ;P..
Not impossible mind ya..

He's stuck at 2800+, but he "could" up his fsb slowly and probably get up to
180 (but he'll need to watch the other stuff carefully)

geoff

> hmm
> 12.5 * 166
> 12.5 * 200 is a NICE overclock ;P..
> Not impossible mind ya..
>
> He's stuck at 2800+, but he "could" up his fsb slowly and probably
> get up to 180 (but he'll need to watch the other stuff carefully)

ya 2.5ghz is nice, most i'v tryed my xp2500 is 200x 12 for 2.4ghz @ 1.9v i
think, i didn't really wanna go any higher o the power, it wasn't quite
stable, i'm sure it would do 2.5 is i put like 2.1v or 2.2v in or something
mad like that

ya he needs to up the fsb slowly and play with it that way

Make sure that you lock the AGP bus at 66 MHz and keep the Vdd at about 1.7
V. If the Vdd gets the southbridge too hot, you can get the NTOSkernel
error.

I had a similar problem with my DFI board, but I updated the bios to the
newly released (June) version, and now the system runs 200x11 nicely.

You also may wish to make sure that you are running the latest version of
the board drivers too.

Pete

"Steve Silverman" <ssilverm@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Please excuse any stupidity on my part that may become apparent during
this
> message, but I'm a novice and confused! I've read newsgroups and
> overclocking sites, but I still can't work out what I'm doing wrong.
>
> I have a newly acquired XP 2800+ and Abit NF7-S board. As I have PC3200
> RAM, I'm trying to up the FSB to 400MHz by setting the multiplier to 10
and
> the external clock frequency to 200.
>
> However, when I boot I get an error message that tells me my processor
speed
> is unworkable, and gives me the option to enter the bios setup or hit F1
> continue. If I do the latter, I get another error message to the effect
that
> the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt, and the system hangs. When I return the
> bios settings to their default, everything works fine.
>
> I've tried a number of different multipliers, both higher and lower, but
> no avail.
>
> Any advice will be gratefully received.
>
> Steve Silverman

Hi Steve,

As everyone sayd your CPU is locked. I have an XP2800+ (Barton) also. At
the default 12.5X I have set the FSB to 180MHz and it is running stable at
approx. 2.26GHz.

"Steve Silverman" <ssilverm@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Please excuse any stupidity on my part that may become apparent during
this
> message, but I'm a novice and confused! I've read newsgroups and
> overclocking sites, but I still can't work out what I'm doing wrong.
>
> I have a newly acquired XP 2800+ and Abit NF7-S board. As I have PC3200
> RAM, I'm trying to up the FSB to 400MHz by setting the multiplier to 10
and
> the external clock frequency to 200.
>
> However, when I boot I get an error message that tells me my processor
speed
> is unworkable, and gives me the option to enter the bios setup or hit F1
> continue. If I do the latter, I get another error message to the effect
that
> the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt, and the system hangs. When I return the
> bios settings to their default, everything works fine.
>
> I've tried a number of different multipliers, both higher and lower, but
> no avail.
>
> Any advice will be gratefully received.
>
> Steve Silverman

I've got one of the unlocked XP2800+ Bartons too. They don't overclock that
well. It takes 2.1V Vcore to get my 2800+ to 2335Mhz. The Mobile Athlons are
the socket A CPU's to get now.

>Hi Steve,
>
>As everyone sayd your CPU is locked. I have an XP2800+ (Barton) also. At
>the default 12.5X I have set the FSB to 180MHz and it is running stable at
>approx. 2.26GHz.
>
>"Steve Silverman" <ssilverm@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> Please excuse any stupidity on my part that may become apparent during
>this
>> message, but I'm a novice and confused! I've read newsgroups and
>> overclocking sites, but I still can't work out what I'm doing wrong.
>>
>> I have a newly acquired XP 2800+ and Abit NF7-S board. As I have PC3200
>> RAM, I'm trying to up the FSB to 400MHz by setting the multiplier to 10
>and
>> the external clock frequency to 200.
>>
>> However, when I boot I get an error message that tells me my processor
>speed
>> is unworkable, and gives me the option to enter the bios setup or hit F1
>> continue. If I do the latter, I get another error message to the effect
>that
>> the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt, and the system hangs. When I return the

Ed

My unlocked Barton 2800+ isn't too bad, Aeroflow HS/fan.
2200 @ 1.675v
2333 @ 1.75V
Ed