corsair xms pc3200C2PT timings? testing?

Noob ram questions...

System listed at bottom.

If I run Prime on "not much ram tested", it runs for six hours. If I
run with either of the other two settings, it fails in less than a
minute.

I'm having no luck trying my own timings. The only way I can get the
system to run is with the bios set to OPTIMAL, which uses CAS 3.

The nVidia system utility reports:
TRAS 9
TRCD 4
TRP 4

My Sandra scores are INT 3150 and FLOAT 2968

The catalog says 2-3-3-6-T1

I read somewhere that for these chips CAS 2 is only for 166, at 200
they drop to 2.5. But I can't get even 2.5

What timings should I use. And, forgive me, but which is which? In
2-3-3-6-T1 is the 2 the CAS? And what the heck is T1?

It's possible I traumatized my ram sticks a few weeks ago. What
program should I use to test them?

TIA

nf7-s version 2
athlon xp 2600 mobile 208*12

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 64MX64
PC-3200C2PT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader OEM
Specifications:
Speed 400 MHz
Organization 64M x 64
CAS Latency 2-3-3-6-T1
Memory type DDR
Part number: CMX512-3200C2PT

You should get memtest86 and first run it at the nominal settings. If
you get no error, then you know the errors are not due to damage to
the RAM Then you can creep the FSB up slowly and test each time until
you find your boundaries. Don't be afradi to loosen up a little on the
RAM timings. You can see the effect in the RAM scores in Sandra. Find
a happy medium.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:15:24 GMT, Hulot
<gottinhimmel@mittelschmerz.de> wrote:

>Noob ram questions...
>
>System listed at bottom.
>
>If I run Prime on "not much ram tested", it runs for six hours. If I
>run with either of the other two settings, it fails in less than a
>minute.
>
>I'm having no luck trying my own timings. The only way I can get the
>system to run is with the bios set to OPTIMAL, which uses CAS 3.
>
>The nVidia system utility reports:
>TRAS 9
>TRCD 4
>TRP 4
>
>My Sandra scores are INT 3150 and FLOAT 2968
>
>The catalog says 2-3-3-6-T1
>
>I read somewhere that for these chips CAS 2 is only for 166, at 200
>they drop to 2.5. But I can't get even 2.5
>
>What timings should I use. And, forgive me, but which is which? In
>2-3-3-6-T1 is the 2 the CAS? And what the heck is T1?
>
>It's possible I traumatized my ram sticks a few weeks ago. What
>program should I use to test them?
>
>TIA
>

>nf7-s version 2
>athlon xp 2600 mobile 208*12
>
>CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 64MX64
>PC-3200C2PT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader OEM
>Specifications:
>Speed 400 MHz
>Organization 64M x 64
>CAS Latency 2-3-3-6-T1
>Memory type DDR
>Part number: CMX512-3200C2PT

Thanks. I tried that and it's stable. I backed the FSB down to 200 and
got no error. Then I brought it up to 12.5*202 and so far it's
stable, if a bit hot. I'll keep playing, but it's good to have this
under contol now.

Thanks for you help.

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 07:04:58 GMT, Hulot
<gottinhimmel@mittelschmerz.de> wrote:

>You should get memtest86 and first run it at the nominal settings. If
>you get no error, then you know the errors are not due to damage to
>the RAM Then you can creep the FSB up slowly and test each time until
>you find your boundaries. Don't be afradi to loosen up a little on the
>RAM timings. You can see the effect in the RAM scores in Sandra. Find
>a happy medium.
>

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:15:24 GMT, Hulot
><gottinhimmel@mittelschmerz.de> wrote:
>
>>Noob ram questions...
>>
>>System listed at bottom.
>>
>>If I run Prime on "not much ram tested", it runs for six hours. If I
>>run with either of the other two settings, it fails in less than a
>>minute.
>>
>>I'm having no luck trying my own timings. The only way I can get the
>>system to run is with the bios set to OPTIMAL, which uses CAS 3.
>>
>>The nVidia system utility reports:
>>TRAS 9
>>TRCD 4
>>TRP 4
>>
>>My Sandra scores are INT 3150 and FLOAT 2968
>>
>>The catalog says 2-3-3-6-T1
>>
>>I read somewhere that for these chips CAS 2 is only for 166, at 200
>>they drop to 2.5. But I can't get even 2.5
>>
>>What timings should I use. And, forgive me, but which is which? In
>>2-3-3-6-T1 is the 2 the CAS? And what the heck is T1?
>>
>>It's possible I traumatized my ram sticks a few weeks ago. What
>>program should I use to test them?
>>
>>TIA
>>

>>nf7-s version 2
>>athlon xp 2600 mobile 208*12
>>
>>CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 64MX64
>>PC-3200C2PT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader OEM
>>Specifications:
>>Speed 400 MHz
>>Organization 64M x 64
>>CAS Latency 2-3-3-6-T1
>>Memory type DDR
>>Part number: CMX512-3200C2PT

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 07:07:41 GMT, Hulot
<gottinhimmel@mittelschmerz.de> wrote:

>Thanks. I tried that and it's stable. I backed the FSB down to 200 and
>got no error. Then I brought it up to 12.5*202 and so far it's
>stable, if a bit hot. I'll keep playing, but it's good to have this
>under contol now.
>
>Thanks for you help.

No problem.

Hulot wrote:
> Noob ram questions...
>
> System listed at bottom.
>
> If I run Prime on "not much ram tested", it runs for six hours. If I
> run with either of the other two settings, it fails in less than a
> minute.
>
> I'm having no luck trying my own timings. The only way I can get the
> system to run is with the bios set to OPTIMAL, which uses CAS 3.
>
> The nVidia system utility reports:
> TRAS 9
> TRCD 4
> TRP 4
>
> My Sandra scores are INT 3150 and FLOAT 2968
>
> The catalog says 2-3-3-6-T1
>
> I read somewhere that for these chips CAS 2 is only for 166, at 200
> they drop to 2.5. But I can't get even 2.5

XMS3200C2PT are rated to Cas2 at 200MHz. At least, they should be.

> What timings should I use. And, forgive me, but which is which? In
> 2-3-3-6-T1 is the 2 the CAS? And what the heck is T1?

Yeah. T1 is the command rate and is not really anything to do with the RAM,
from what I understand.

> It's possible I traumatized my ram sticks a few weeks ago. What
> program should I use to test them?

Traumatised how?

Memtest86+, but I'll assume you know that now...

Referring to your other post, be sure to fix your AGP/PCI frequencies and
run RAM at 100% of FSB. (in synch)

Ben