12 Volt ATX power connector question

Both my MSI and Shuttle mobos have a 4-pin socket for the 12V ATX connector
from the PSU.
My buddy's Asus A7N8X-X does not.
What exactly does it power and how does the ASUS do without it?

Rick

dorkus.erectus wrote:
> Both my MSI and Shuttle mobos have a 4-pin socket for the 12V ATX
> connector from the PSU.

The CPU draws it's voltage from the +12V rail. Since there is only one
+12V connection at the ATX connector, and the CPU draws a lot of
current, the extra (called P4) connector provides two more +12V
connections (2 hot, 2 ground) to better distribute the current load.

> My buddy's Asus A7N8X-X does not.
> What exactly does it power and how does the ASUS do without it?

The MSI and Shuttle (and NF7) are better designed motherboards. The
extra connections provide for more efficient transfer of power from the
PSU to the MB since it is better distributed.

> Rick

> The MSI and Shuttle (and NF7) are better designed motherboards. The
> extra connections provide for more efficient transfer of power from the
> PSU to the MB since it is better distributed.

No,
His buddy's computers just use intel chips probably

rstlne wrote:
>> The MSI and Shuttle (and NF7) are better designed motherboards. The
>> extra connections provide for more efficient transfer of power from
>> the PSU to the MB since it is better distributed.
>>

> No,
> His buddy's computers just use intel chips probably

The Asus A7N8X-X (his buddy's computer) is an nForce2 chipset
motherboard. The extra connection is known as a P4 connector since
Intel P4 systems required it.

"ICee" <icee@thelight.invalid> wrote in message
> rstlne wrote:
> >> The MSI and Shuttle (and NF7) are better designed motherboards. The
> >> extra connections provide for more efficient transfer of power from
> >> the PSU to the MB since it is better distributed.
> >>

> > No,
> > His buddy's computers just use intel chips probably
>
> The Asus A7N8X-X (his buddy's computer) is an nForce2 chipset
> motherboard. The extra connection is known as a P4 connector since
> Intel P4 systems required it.

Huh? Not P4 only.
But I'm not sure if anyone else besides Gigabyte uses it.
http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400%20Pro.htm#
It also has full dual channel ddr support.
Some1 in one of the groups said. "AMD's don't have dual channel @ all."
Some AMD boards use Intel chips for Dual Channel ddr, and ethernet.
They are a sweet line of boards.
Denny. ;-)