Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Uninstalling USB hardware not plugged into the computer

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 10:57:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hey!
I have 3 USB ports and an IR port on my Windows XP Home laptop with SP2.
My laptop is 'busy', a load of different divices being plugged in, then
plugged in different ports the next time (meaning the drivers re-load) etc.

I know that drivers of plugged in USB and close by IR devices can be
uninstalled (and I know how).

But, is it possible to remove drivers of passed devices, that will no longer
be plugged in, without them plugged in (since I dont own the devices)... if
you get me?

Many thanks :D 
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:44:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"dagsmatt" <dagsmatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EDCC8608-FE71-4E76-96E7-51321F01C5BF@microsoft.com...
> But, is it possible to remove drivers of passed devices, that will no longer
> be plugged in, without them plugged in (since I dont own the devices)... if
> you get me?

These drivers can be uninstalled if you reboot in safe mode,
open device manager and select "show hidden devices".
Usually this makes "passed" devices visible so you can remove them.

--PA

(It is possible also in the normal mode, but I don't remember the incantation
off top of my head )
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:44:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Put the following into a batch file, run it, when the device manager opens select view > show hidden
devices.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
cd\ %SystemRoot% \System32
start devmgmt.msc

Can be run while you are in Windows, does not have to be in Safe Mode. The devices that are no
longer present will have greyed out icons .
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)


"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message news:eALdd$gnFHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "dagsmatt" <dagsmatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:EDCC8608-FE71-4E76-96E7-51321F01C5BF@microsoft.com...
>> But, is it possible to remove drivers of passed devices, that will no longer
>> be plugged in, without them plugged in (since I dont own the devices)... if
>> you get me?
>
> These drivers can be uninstalled if you reboot in safe mode,
> open device manager and select "show hidden devices".
> Usually this makes "passed" devices visible so you can remove them.
>
> --PA
>
> (It is possible also in the normal mode, but I don't remember the incantation
> off top of my head )
>
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:18:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks for the replys, they both work :) 

"David Vair" wrote:

> Put the following into a batch file, run it, when the device manager opens select view > show hidden
> devices.
>
> set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
> cd\ %SystemRoot% \System32
> start devmgmt.msc
>
> Can be run while you are in Windows, does not have to be in Safe Mode. The devices that are no
> longer present will have greyed out icons .
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
>
>
> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message news:eALdd$gnFHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > "dagsmatt" <dagsmatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:EDCC8608-FE71-4E76-96E7-51321F01C5BF@microsoft.com...
> >> But, is it possible to remove drivers of passed devices, that will no longer
> >> be plugged in, without them plugged in (since I dont own the devices)... if
> >> you get me?
> >
> > These drivers can be uninstalled if you reboot in safe mode,
> > open device manager and select "show hidden devices".
> > Usually this makes "passed" devices visible so you can remove them.
> >
> > --PA
> >
> > (It is possible also in the normal mode, but I don't remember the incantation
> > off top of my head )
> >
>
>
>
Related resources
!