adaptec 1200A Raid Controller Problems

tiger

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hi everyone:

I have a problem with several PC's using an Adaptec 1200A Raid
Controller. The PC's are Intel MB 865, Kingston RAM, Seagate HDDs and
Windows xp-pro SP2.
The card installes just fine, Windows installs and I set up a mirror.
The systems work fine for a while. All of the sudden they will not boot
up and there is no windows installation recognized on either HDD. I
have to reinstall the card, windows, drivers and all is well - for a
while. It works between 2 month and 6 month. I encountered this problem
on 9 PC's.
Anyone out there with similar problems?
Thanx in advance,
Ernst

tiger

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Adaptec only posted an issue about SP2 for xp. My problem occured after
installing xp with SP2. I knew about the Highpoint driver issue and
SP2. No mentioning of problems with tat specific MOBO.

DL wrote:
> What did Adaptec tec say, I know they have had issues with certain mobo's /
> bios
>
> "tiger" <ematheus@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone:
> >
> > I have a problem with several PC's using an Adaptec 1200A Raid
> > Controller. The PC's are Intel MB 865, Kingston RAM, Seagate HDDs and
> > Windows xp-pro SP2.
> > The card installes just fine, Windows installs and I set up a mirror.
> > The systems work fine for a while. All of the sudden they will not boot
> > up and there is no windows installation recognized on either HDD. I
> > have to reinstall the card, windows, drivers and all is well - for a
> > while. It works between 2 month and 6 month. I encountered this problem
> > on 9 PC's.
> > Anyone out there with similar problems?
> > Thanx in advance,
> > Ernst

dl

What did Adaptec tec say, I know they have had issues with certain mobo's /
bios

"tiger" <ematheus@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone:
>
> I have a problem with several PC's using an Adaptec 1200A Raid
> Controller. The PC's are Intel MB 865, Kingston RAM, Seagate HDDs and
> Windows xp-pro SP2.
> The card installes just fine, Windows installs and I set up a mirror.
> The systems work fine for a while. All of the sudden they will not boot
> up and there is no windows installation recognized on either HDD. I
> have to reinstall the card, windows, drivers and all is well - for a
> while. It works between 2 month and 6 month. I encountered this problem
> on 9 PC's.
> Anyone out there with similar problems?
> Thanx in advance,
> Ernst

dl

I had many long conversations with Adaptec tec re, a 2410SA
They stated that there had been problems with some cards and various
mobos/bios, they went on to say they didnt have an exhaustive list of all
the various hw that gave problems.
They could only suggest Firmware upgrade, and a completely clean install of
the o/s & drivers to see if that worked.
I might get round to that when I have the time/energy and inclination.

> Adaptec only posted an issue about SP2 for xp. My problem occured after
> installing xp with SP2. I knew about the Highpoint driver issue and
> SP2. No mentioning of problems with tat specific MOBO.
>

> DL wrote:
> > What did Adaptec tec say, I know they have had issues with certain
mobo's /
> > bios
> >
> > "tiger" <ematheus@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi everyone:
> > >
> > > I have a problem with several PC's using an Adaptec 1200A Raid
> > > Controller. The PC's are Intel MB 865, Kingston RAM, Seagate HDDs and
> > > Windows xp-pro SP2.
> > > The card installes just fine, Windows installs and I set up a mirror.
> > > The systems work fine for a while. All of the sudden they will not
boot
> > > up and there is no windows installation recognized on either HDD. I
> > > have to reinstall the card, windows, drivers and all is well - for a
> > > while. It works between 2 month and 6 month. I encountered this
problem
> > > on 9 PC's.
> > > Anyone out there with similar problems?
> > > Thanx in advance,
> > > Ernst

tiger

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Thank you DL!! I knew there was something wrong. I wiped all t he PC's
and started all over only to run into the same proble after a while. I
think for now I will remove the cards and use the onboard IDE channel.
Hope you find some time/energy and inclination to take a few days for
yourself!!!

:) Ernst