1gb of memory

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400E-L with 512mb of 3200 DDR memory with a 3200
Athlon XP. When I plug in my new 512 stick of memory should I put it in slot
2, 3 or 4? My first stick of RAM is in slot 1 and the second stick is
identical model and brand.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve wrote:
> Hi I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400E-L with 512mb of 3200 DDR memory with a 3200
> Athlon XP. When I plug in my new 512 stick of memory should I put it in
> slot 2, 3 or 4? My first stick of RAM is in slot 1 and the second stick is
> identical model and brand.

Might as well go for dual channel, I'll assume the slots are numbered with 1
at the CPU end, in order to 4.

I'd guess at the first Channel being the two slots closest to CPU and the
second channel the two slots furthest from CPU.

So slot 3 or 4, at a guess.

Ben

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Ben Pope wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>> Hi I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400E-L with 512mb of 3200 DDR memory with
>> a 3200 Athlon XP. When I plug in my new 512 stick of memory should I
>> put it in slot 2, 3 or 4? My first stick of RAM is in slot 1 and the
>> second stick is identical model and brand.
>

> Might as well go for dual channel, I'll assume the slots are numbered
> with 1 at the CPU end, in order to 4.
>
> I'd guess at the first Channel being the two slots closest to CPU and
> the second channel the two slots furthest from CPU.
>
> So slot 3 or 4, at a guess.
>
> Ben

Your guesses were all correct.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve wrote:
> Ben Pope wrote:
>> Might as well go for dual channel, I'll assume the slots are numbered
>> with 1 at the CPU end, in order to 4.
>>
>> I'd guess at the first Channel being the two slots closest to CPU and
>> the second channel the two slots furthest from CPU.
>>
>> So slot 3 or 4, at a guess.
>
> Your guesses were all correct.

I try :)

The edumacated guess doesn't always work, there is at least one nForce2
board out there with the slots numbered something like: CPU: 3, 1, 2 - No
idea why! (is it the NF7?)

Ben

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:06:36 +0100, "Steve"
<bond_youknowtherest_uk@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400E-L with 512mb of 3200 DDR memory with a 3200
>Athlon XP. When I plug in my new 512 stick of memory should I put it in slot
>2, 3 or 4? My first stick of RAM is in slot 1 and the second stick is
>identical model and brand.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve

To get Dual data channel and provided the RAM sticks are matched,
ALWAYS plug into slot 3 if your existing RAM stick is in slot 1..
Either that or you can use slot 2 and 4.

The secret is to get one stick in each opposing bank slot - Bank 1 is
slots 1 and 2 - bank 2 is slots 3 and 4,, so you MUST use slots 1 and
3 or slots 2 and 4

Using Slots 1 and 4,, or,, 2 and 3 will result in 1 Gb in ordinary
mode. To be honest, you probably wont notice so much as a pinch of
difference in speed anyway... I've tried and have an identical setup
as you. I saw NO difference...

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:14:16 +1200, Bruce Tyler <top@bottom.au> wrote:

>On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:06:36 +0100, "Steve"
><bond_youknowtherest_uk@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400E-L with 512mb of 3200 DDR memory with a 3200
>>Athlon XP. When I plug in my new 512 stick of memory should I put it in slot
>>2, 3 or 4? My first stick of RAM is in slot 1 and the second stick is
>>identical model and brand.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Steve
>>

>To get Dual data channel and provided the RAM sticks are matched,
>ALWAYS plug into slot 3 if your existing RAM stick is in slot 1..
>Either that or you can use slot 2 and 4.
>
>The secret is to get one stick in each opposing bank slot - Bank 1 is
>slots 1 and 2 - bank 2 is slots 3 and 4,, so you MUST use slots 1 and
>3 or slots 2 and 4
>
>Using Slots 1 and 4,, or,, 2 and 3 will result in 1 Gb in ordinary
>mode. To be honest, you probably wont notice so much as a pinch of
>difference in speed anyway... I've tried and have an identical setup
>as you. I saw NO difference...

Oh yes... If you succeed in getting dual channel mode, it you will be
notified each time you boot up. The words "Dual channel mode enabled"
will appear as your system goes through the pre-boot hardware check
before your O/S is loaded... The words will be in bright white
letters,, so you CAN'T miss them...

"Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:14:16 +1200, Bruce Tyler <top@bottom.au> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:06:36 +0100, "Steve"
> ><bond_youknowtherest_uk@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400E-L with 512mb of 3200 DDR memory with a
3200
> >>Athlon XP. When I plug in my new 512 stick of memory should I put it in
slot
> >>2, 3 or 4? My first stick of RAM is in slot 1 and the second stick is
> >>identical model and brand.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Steve
> >>

> >To get Dual data channel and provided the RAM sticks are matched,
> >ALWAYS plug into slot 3 if your existing RAM stick is in slot 1..
> >Either that or you can use slot 2 and 4.
> >
> >The secret is to get one stick in each opposing bank slot - Bank 1 is
> >slots 1 and 2 - bank 2 is slots 3 and 4,, so you MUST use slots 1 and
> >3 or slots 2 and 4
> >
> >Using Slots 1 and 4,, or,, 2 and 3 will result in 1 Gb in ordinary
> >mode. To be honest, you probably wont notice so much as a pinch of
> >difference in speed anyway... I've tried and have an identical setup
> >as you. I saw NO difference...
>
> Oh yes... If you succeed in getting dual channel mode, it you will be
> notified each time you boot up. The words "Dual channel mode enabled"
> will appear as your system goes through the pre-boot hardware check
> before your O/S is loaded... The words will be in bright white
> letters,, so you CAN'T miss them...

I'm one to know this one, I sat and read almost all my Gigabyte 8IG1000 Pro
boards manual.
1 & 3 does give me Dual channel mode.
My other board, a Asus "A7N8X" I have my ram in slots 1 and the last one, 3.
It does give me the "Dual channel mode enabled"
message.
AMD & Intel, I don't care which I work with any more.
1$ for 1$ though, I'd rather have more AMD's.
So, so I could run a game @ 300 + fps, if it was only made for 29.975 and a
bunch of other numbers.
(30 FPs)
What's the point?